Does an A/B switch for HDMI exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a switch box that can redirect HDMI video and sound from one TV to a different TV? I am not seeking to view both televisions at the same time. Assumption is that both televisions have 1080p, though one is a smaller set than the other. Reason is to use a smaller LED TV as a front end for content with static display so that my plasma is reserved for other content and as such will reduce image retention concerns. Example of static video content is Pandora radio or CD music player displays. Other kinds are news programs with talking heads among static content / high contrast station logos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Is there a switch box that can redirect HDMI video and sound from one TV to a different TV? I am not seeking to view both televisions at the same time. Assumption is that both televisions have 1080p, though one is a smaller set than the other. Reason is to use a smaller LED TV as a front end for content with static display so that my plasma is reserved for other content and as such will reduce image retention concerns. Example of static video content is Pandora radio or CD music player displays. Other kinds are news programs with talking heads among static content / high contrast station logos.

Yes, but for most switches both EDIDs are still sent from the sinks (the TVs in this case) to all sources. Doing otherwise can "confuse" the components as the EDID changes while the devices are active. These switches are electronic switches.

I've seen a mention of a mechanical A/B switch - check the forum archives. I seem to remember there were some problems reported with it, but those threads would provide more information. Here's the reverse of what you are looking for - see the customer reviews for some of the problems these types of switches can cause. That it is the reverse of what you want doesn't change the types of problems mechanical HDMI switches can cause (which is why I'm including it).

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHDMSWM2-.../dp/B0012L1LJK

There are also switches that claim to be mechanical but actually use the power generated by the HDMI port to power the electronics. These switches also have problems because not all ports provide the power needed.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page