Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so brief explanation of my setup

Room 1:
LED HDTV
HDTV Cable Box
Xbox 360
HDMI signal splitter (on 360 going to TV and transmitter)
HDMI signal splitter (on cable box going to TV and transmitter)
Rocketfish HDMI wireless transmitter (connectedto cable box and xbox)

Room 2:
Projector
Rocketfish HDMI wireless receiver (receiving 360 & cable box HDMI signal)
Surround Sound system

I have Room 1's HDMI transmitter sending a wireless signal to the projector for cable and 360. I want to be able to play 360 in one room, and watch TV in the other. The only thing preventing me from doing this now is the audio. I can't seem to find the right product I need to transmit the audio. I'd also like to control which audio I'm receiving in Room 2, regardless of what's going on in Room 1. (ie. Room 1 is watching TV (audio through the tv) and Room 2 is playing Xbox (audio through the home theater system I got in there). The projector is receiving audio sent by the HDMI transmitter, but does not have an audio out.

What I'm going to try is...putting a "HDMI to component wire" to the HDMI receiver in Room 2 and connecting the component video to the projector and the component audio to the surround sound...if this does not work I'm clueless...

Any ideas??

Here's an image incase I confused anyone:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Need more info. Can you get any audio (PCM) or no audio? Also, do you have to have DTS-MA and Dolby True HD?

The normal way to do this would be source to AVR and then the AVR to the TV. Is there a reason you don't have room 2 wired this way?

Also, you realize that HDMI to component officially does not exist (but may be able to be purchased from certain suppliers)? HDMI agreements strictly prohibit the conversion of HDMI to component video.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Need more info. Can you get any audio (PCM) or no audio? Also, do you have to have DTS-MA and Dolby True HD?

The normal way to do this would be source to AVR and then the AVR to the TV. Is there a reason you don't have room 2 wired this way?

Also, you realize that HDMI to component officially does not exist (but may be able to be purchased from certain suppliers)? HDMI agreements strictly prohibit the conversion of HDMI to component video.

I'm getting audio out of my projector with the hdmi cable plugged into it, unfortunatley there is no audio out on my projector. on my sound system it just has inputs for the regular red/white audio cables.

I'm not sure what source to AVR means :-\\

Also, I bought a wire similar to this: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessor...productDetails it's made by sony so it seems pretty official? or am I missing something here?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneyshot978 View Post

I'm getting audio out of my projector with the hdmi cable plugged into it, unfortunatley there is no audio out on my projector. on my sound system it just has inputs for the regular red/white audio cables.

I'm not sure what source to AVR means :-\\

Also, I bought a wire similar to this: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessor...productDetails it's made by sony so it seems pretty official? or am I missing something here?

OK, let's back-up a bit. An AVR is an Audio/Video Receiver. In other words its the surround sound system you have labeled in your second box.

The PS3 cable you linked doesn't have anything to do with HDMI. It is NOT HDMI (I read your other thread you started that Joe answered). The cable you showed connects to the back of the PS3 and allows component video and stereo audio to be sent out of the PS3. The connector you think is HDMI is actually a Sony proprietary MultiAV connector and will not fit in the HDMI port (I have that converter cable here). The PS3 has a separate HDMI output port (it's near the MultiAV port). For a PS3, either HDMI or component video can be used but not both simultaneously.

I think I understand where the problem is with your setup. Could you please tell me more about your "surround sound system"? Make and model would be helpful. If you can only get RCA stereo audio into the surround sound system then that will be a problem since you won't be able to get anything but rudamentary surround sound out of it (old fashioned Dolby Surround). That would also mean we would have to convert HDMI to analog stereo audio, which is do-able but will cost more money.

And while we're dealing with the bad news, keep in mind that the Rocketfish wireless HDMI is not a standard device. In other words, HDMI does not have an official wireless transmission method (although the transmission protocol used is a standard - I know that is confusing). The reason I bring this up is one of the pitfalls reported with the Rocketfish device is that its 60GHz transmission frequency is susceptible to dropouts when people stand in front of the transmitter or receiver. You might want to make sure you mount both high enough so that someone walking around doesn't interfere with your picture.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, let's back-up a bit. An AVR is an Audio/Video Receiver. In other words its the surround sound system you have labeled in your second box.

The PS3 cable you linked doesn't have anything to do with HDMI. It is NOT HDMI (I read your other thread you started that Joe answered). The cable you showed connects to the back of the PS3 and allows component video and stereo audio to be sent out of the PS3. The connector you think is HDMI is actually a Sony proprietary MultiAV connector and will not fit in the HDMI port (I have that converter cable here). The PS3 has a separate HDMI output port (it's near the MultiAV port). For a PS3, either HDMI or component video can be used but not both simultaneously.

I think I understand where the problem is with your setup. Could you please tell me more about your "surround sound system"? Make and model would be helpful. If you can only get RCA stereo audio into the surround sound system then that will be a problem since you won't be able to get anything but rudamentary surround sound out of it (old fashioned Dolby Surround). That would also mean we would have to convert HDMI to analog stereo audio, which is do-able but will cost more money.

And while we're dealing with the bad news, keep in mind that the Rocketfish wireless HDMI is not a standard device. In other words, HDMI does not have an official wireless transmission method (although the transmission protocol used is a standard - I know that is confusing). The reason I bring this up is one of the pitfalls reported with the Rocketfish device is that its 60GHz transmission frequency is susceptible to dropouts when people stand in front of the transmitter or receiver. You might want to make sure you mount both high enough so that someone walking around doesn't interfere with your picture.

oh ok, thanks for explaining that cable, it was only $5 so not that big of a deal if it doesnt work, like you say it won't.

my surround sound receiver is: STR-DG500, link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG500.../dp/B000ETYO7C

the rocketfish device has been alright so far. havent had any problems with it cutting out so far even with people near it.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

oh ok, thanks for explaining that cable, it was only $5 so not that big of a deal if it doesnt work, like you say it won't.

my surround sound receiver is: STR-DG500, link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG500.../dp/B000ETYO7C

the rocketfish device has been alright so far. havent had any problems with it cutting out so far even with people near it.

I was afraid you had something like this Sony. Basically your only choice for true surround is using the two digital audio optical inputs or the coax (RCA plug) digital audio input. All three inputs are on the left side of the unit when viewed from the back.

Unfortunately, what you would need is a device that takes an HDMI signal and converts it to digital audio (Toslink also known as SPDI/F) and then has an HDMI pass through to go to your projector. Any device like that which I could recommend would be near the price of the Sony (if not above the price of the Sony). Converting HDMI to 2 channel analog stereo would cost about the same (maybe slightly more because a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder would likely be built-in).

Do you want to go down this path or just look for a different AVR that can handle HDMI? The other way to do this would be to run a good RCA cable from room 1 to room 2 and then send the digital audio output over that cable and into the Sony. You might have some lipsync issues with this way, however, due to the Rocketfish processing time.

Your system with its multiple splitters is not a normal way that is recommended because of the headaches involved with multiple splitters including EDID handshakes and (sometimes) HDCP. A single AVR with multi-zone HDMI capability would solve all of your problems. Move the AVR and the components to the projector room and then use the Rocketfish to send the second signal to the TV. That eliminates the splitters and allows true multichannel audio with the projector.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was afraid you had something like this Sony. Basically your only choice for true surround is using the two digital audio optical inputs or the coax (RCA plug) digital audio input. All three inputs are on the left side of the unit when viewed from the back.

Unfortunately, what you would need is a device that takes an HDMI signal and converts it to digital audio (Toslink also known as SPDI/F) and then has an HDMI pass through to go to your projector. Any device like that which I could recommend would be near the price of the Sony (if not above the price of the Sony). Converting HDMI to 2 channel analog stereo would cost about the same (maybe slightly more because a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder would likely be built-in).

Do you want to go down this path or just look for a different AVR that can handle HDMI? The other way to do this would be to run a good RCA cable from room 1 to room 2 and then send the digital audio output over that cable and into the Sony. You might have some lipsync issues with this way, however, due to the Rocketfish processing time.

Your system with its multiple splitters is not a normal way that is recommended because of the headaches involved with multiple splitters including EDID handshakes and (sometimes) HDCP. A single AVR with multi-zone HDMI capability would solve all of your problems. Move the AVR and the components to the projector room and then use the Rocketfish to send the second signal to the TV. That eliminates the splitters and allows true multichannel audio with the projector.

To be honest, i dont even care if im getting true surround out of my Room 2 setup. I just cant stand having the audio coming out of my projector, its incredibly low.

I bought a device before that was suppose to transmit the audio wirelessly from one room to the other, but there was a good one second lag. I am not sure if it was the device or what, but when I had both TV and Projector on the same HDMI source they were pretty much 100% insync, so I'm thinking it was the wireless audio device. The back of my cable box has 1 hdmi slot and 1 set of component inputs. the wireless audio device I was using had 3 sets of red/white inputs. Anybody know why there would be that one second lag with the audio?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

To be honest, i dont even care if im getting true surround out of my Room 2 setup. I just cant stand having the audio coming out of my projector, its incredibly low.

I bought a device before that was suppose to transmit the audio wirelessly from one room to the other, but there was a good one second lag. I am not sure if it was the device or what, but when I had both TV and Projector on the same HDMI source they were pretty much 100% insync, so I'm thinking it was the wireless audio device. The back of my cable box has 1 hdmi slot and 1 set of component inputs. the wireless audio device I was using had 3 sets of red/white inputs. Anybody know why there would be that one second lag with the audio?

Actually you have lag going on with all the wired and wireless devices. For what you were seeing / hearing it was just the audio lag was greater than the video lag. Older HDMI devices are notorious for lag. In fact one of the improvements HDMI made on later revisions was to include a method to re-sync the audio with the video at the sink (the TV or receiver).

What you did with a second wireless device is to go outside of HDMI, so the resync can't take place. The Rocketfish is notorious for having a processing lag. Apparently the audio wireless has an even greater lag. The lags are usually associated with the processing time to convert wired to wireless to wired formats. Even converting to HDMI has a lag associated with it. The actual transmission is relatively instantaneous.

To reduce the relative lag, the best bet is to use the same transmission medium for both audio and video. An AVR will do that because it accounts for the video decoding when outputting the audio. Some smaller boxes. In other words decode audio and video with the same device. How far apart are these rooms that make a wireless solution mandatory?

Something like this would also solve your problem. Use it in the projector room after wireless receiver but before the projector:
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%201x1%...Converter.html
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

hrmm...

what if I bring the surround sound into Room 1...

and use my logitech squeezebox for sound in Room 2.

Basically I just want anything better than my projector to give me sound in Room 2, it doesnt have to be GREAT...it just has to work...

...even if that means using an FM transmitter to get sound in Room 2.

Would anyone have suggestions for this new setup?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:

hrmm...

what if I bring the surround sound into Room 1...

and use my logitech squeezebox for sound in Room 2.

Basically I just want anything better than my projector to give me sound in Room 2, it doesnt have to be GREAT...it just has to work...

...even if that means using an FM transmitter to get sound in Room 2.

Would anyone have suggestions for this new setup?

So you would have the Sony in room 1 taking the audio outputs from the components and then sending to speakers. Is that correct? Does the Sony have multiple zones?

FM transmitters will also have a different lag than the HDMI lag. If you can live with that then you should be OK. Who knows, you might find the lags are close when you try it. I've also found that 900MHz wireless are noisy with quiet dialog.

You're going to be doing a lot of switching, so a good universal remote would be a help, too.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you would have the Sony in room 1 taking the audio outputs from the components and then sending to speakers. Is that correct? Does the Sony have multiple zones?

FM transmitters will also have a different lag than the HDMI lag. If you can live with that then you should be OK. Who knows, you might find the lags are close when you try it. I've also found that 900MHz wireless are noisy with quiet dialog.

You're going to be doing a lot of switching, so a good universal remote would be a help, too.

Yes the Sony be taking in the components. Yes it has multiple zones.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page