Conversion troubles- can anyone help me???!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an unusual problem. I have a brand new TV and when I installed it I ran 2 hdmi cables in the wall. I patched up the wall and painted before realizing (stupidly) that my analog cable box does not have an hdmi output (the other cable was for my DVD player, and that works fine). So my two options are to a) tear up the wall again and run a coax cable, which is what I should of done when I had the chance or b) find an adapter to solve the problem. The outputs on my cable box are coax, s-video, and component (red, white and yellow). Coax would be my preference so that I could run an antenna later if I ditch the cable box. I bought an adapter that I thought was going to go from s-video to hdmi but the s-cable is output only, and the hdmi is input- I need the opposite direction. Option c would be to go hd tv, but I really don't want to pay another $10 a month. Please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 89
You really want to go to component video. I'd have a difficult time recommending anything using coax and even if I did, coax to hdmi would provide you one channel, not an antenna output capability.

Anyway, this is an example of converting component video (I'm sure there are cheaper versions available):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815158130
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry this is a late response, but I just realized something. If you have Comcast cable, then this might help.

A while back, our non-HD cable box started flaking out. We called up Comcast and they said they'll send a different box out. When the new cable box arrived, it was a spiffy brand new one, never touched, and still had the plastic you have to peel off. It had HD outputs on it including HDMI. I was concerned that they accidentally added HD service to my account (which we did not want to pay for). Anyway, I hooked it up with a single HDMI cable to my brother's 65in Mitsubishi. All the standard definition channels come through and the HD channels say that you need to order HD service. Perfect, exactly what I wanted.

If you can find a way to get that newer cable box (with the HDMI) without upgrading to HD service, then you'd be all set.