Cat6 termination issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I've really been struggling terminating the Cat6 cables run through my house for an HDMI extender (HDBaseT) solution.

I have this General Cable Cat6+ Cable run throughout my home.

I don't have any problems terminating some Cat5 cables but the individual conductors in the Cat6 are much thicker and don't slide well through the RJ45. I even got these Platinum Connectors (edited) to try and make the whole thing easier but the pairs on the Cat6 won't go through since they are so thick (as a side-note, these connectors are awesome for the Cat5).

I did read a few things about OD of the conductors and I think that is what the issue is. I also read about wire management bars and don't know if that would help. I can terminate the Cat6 with a regular rj45 but it takes forever (over 20 mins each) and I often don't get full continuity on all 8 conductors.

Any suggestions for a better termination?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Either get cat6 male ends which will be sized properly to accommodate 23ga cat6 wires, or terminate everything with female keystone punch-down ends (cat6 wire will fit into cat5 punchdown ends if you have some already) and use patch cords.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

Either get cat6 male ends which will be sized properly to accommodate 23ga cat6 wires, or terminate everything with female keystone punch-down ends (cat6 wire will fit into cat5 punchdown ends if you have some already) and use patch cords.

I linked the wrong product. I actually got these connectors which are made for Cat6.

This is interesting, I found this document.

I wonder if my cable has a large OD conductor which is causing so many issues. Anybody have success terminating Cat6 cables with large OD conductors?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 32
Quit using the Male ends, and just put on Keystones. The RJ-45 males are meant for the stranded wiring for Patch cords, not solid. You will find that things will go a whole lot quicker and less problems, by using the correct materials.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Quit using the Male ends, and just put on Keystones. The RJ-45 males are meant for the stranded wiring for Patch cords, not solid. You will find that things will go a whole lot quicker and less problems, by using the correct materials.

And just use short patch cables between the keystone and the HDBaseT extender?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM

Liked: 32
Yes, that is the correct way to do it. I got to the point that I just hang the extra patch and 3 foot cords on the side of my rack, so they are there when I need them. You can get by with Cat-5e rated patch cords. Really cheap if you get them from Monoprice.com. I would though use certain colors for certain equipment. I use White patch cords for the three U-verse set tops in my house, Red for all other computer equipment. Makes it really easy when I look at the patch panel to figure what equipment is plugged in where, without trying to look at the labels.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post

And just use short patch cables between the keystone and the HDBaseT extender?

Yes.

As mentioned, solid cables are meant to be "punch down" on jacks, plugs as you are using are meant to be use with stranded cables. Some people will argue it doesn't matter but your trouble kinda illustrates the point.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Actually, there are 8P8C plugs made for solid wire, and there are 8P8C plugs made for stranded wire. The key is using the right one for the application.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page