Is 24 AWG really necessary for AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you review the short HDMI selection YouTube video embedded with the specs for their HDMI cables, the guy tells you that 24 AWG cables are necessary with an HDMI switching receiver due to resistance.

I've been using an older, 1st gen HDMI switching receiver from 2007 and the cables I've been using are HDMI 1.2 and 28 AWG. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 3D HDTV, 3D BD player, and new 3D pass through HDMI switching AVR.

The BD player and the Comcast DVR will be no more than 2 feet from the receiver. The receiver will be no more than 4 feet from the input on the TV. My plan was to get (2) 3ft high speed HDMI cables and (1) 4 ft high speed HDMI cable. Do I need 24 AWG or is 28 AWG sufficient? The cost difference is minimal at Monoprice, so I want to be sure to get the right one.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Although the 28 AWG is likely sufficient, if the price is close, I'd go with the 24 AWG if the heavier guage can be accomodated .. .. I'd be more concerned with stress / wire bends / etc on your install, myself ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't have any problems with my 28AWG cables, but I'm not doing any 3D.

I hate the stress the thick, stiff cables put on the flimsy little HDMI connectors.

Receivers don't have 7 HDMI inputs for 7 source components, they're spares for when you break them
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
28AWG high speed cables are just fine, but I would suggest you get them someplace that doesn't put ferrites on them, like BJC. Their Tartan brand is equivalent to what you get at monoprice.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page