Best way to distribute HDTV to the whole house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi gang. I have three TV's I'd like to serve with 3 DVR's. I just hooked up a Monoprice 4 x 4 True Matrix Switch and all I got was "blue screen" and 720p.

Monoprice is sending out a new one, but I'm not holding out much hope. Is there a better (more reliable) way to do what I'm trying to do or am I stuck paying for a cable box in each room?

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Hi gang. I have three TV's I'd like to serve with 3 DVR's. I just hooked up a Monoprice 4 x 4 True Matrix Switch and all I got was "blue screen" and 720p.

Monoprice is sending out a new one, but I'm not holding out much hope. Is there a better (more reliable) way to do what I'm trying to do or am I stuck paying for a cable box in each room?

Not enough information about the equipment and distances to provide an answer. Yes there are plenty of ways to do what you say (and more). HDMI and component video are options that provide the same picture quality for cable boxes.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh. No problem. I'll give you any info you need. It's a pretty simple setup.

Input: 3 DVRs (2 Tivos and 1 Comcast DVR)

Output: TV in bedroom (45 feet) Sony HX929 1080p, TV in Living room (25 feet) (Sony 1080p) TV in Playroom(25 feet) (Sony 1080p)

So everything is capable of 1080P. 3 in, 3 out. What else do you need to know?

Am open to simply moving the boxes local to the TV's but I'm using a Channel Master distribution system right now that is really convenient. Unfortunately it's over coax and isn't HD Capable. My goal was to do something similar with HDMI cables. So far, it's not working out real well... but I'm hoping I just got a defective unit. There are plenty of good reviews on the Monoprice unit I have and I don't think I'm out of spec on anything. I'm only able to spend about $300.00 to get a matrix switch, but not much more. I'd love to get one of the high end ones but that would never fly past the "inspector general" sitting on the couch over there. ----->

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Since your "open to moving boxes", before I would "finger" the switch, I would take one pvr, two short hdmi cables, the switch, and move them close to one of the TV.... hook things up... pvr, short hdmi cable, switch, short hdmi cable, TV and see what the result is at 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. From there, you can perhaps get things going ... maybe.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

Since your "open to moving boxes", before I would "finger" the switch, I would take one pvr, two short hdmi cables, the switch, and move them close to one of the TV.... hook things up... pvr, short hdmi cable, switch, short hdmi cable, TV and see what the result is at 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. From there, you can perhaps get things going ... maybe.

I already tried that in the living room. That box is right next to the TV so I ran a short cable and used 1.5 foot cables (all from Monoprice) to hook up the swtich. It wouldn't work out of any of the inputs our outputs. They all threw up the same "Blue screened" image with no sound.

I have a pretty strong feeling that this unit had been used and returned. It came without being in a plastic bag and it was all scratched up on the face. Probably a bad switch. Even if it works, I'm beginning to think all this happened for a reason. Might be smart to just keep it simple. I'm leaning towards bailing on the whole idea. I think it might save me a lot of hassles in the future without giving up TOO much. There's still MRV and streaming to get shows from one box to another. Hmmm...

post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you could be right about the "another way" BUT the "unplug / move / plug" method with hdmi is a potential danger for the equipment as the connector interface wasn't really design for doing the kind of operation repetitively.... so I wouldn't rely on that method. I run both hdmi switching and vga (rgb) switching... the vga switching is "safer" as it always works (mechanical) while the hdmi switch sometimes doesn't like where is came from... :-)
post #7 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

you could be right about the "another way" BUT the "unplug / move / plug" method with hdmi is a potential danger for the equipment as the connector interface wasn't really design for doing the kind of operation repetitively.... so I wouldn't rely on that method. I run both hdmi switching and vga (rgb) switching... the vga switching is "safer" as it always works (mechanical) while the hdmi switch sometimes doesn't like where is came from... :-)

Well we've decided to just move TiVo 1 from the Living Room into the Bedroom permanently and hook it up locally there, without running a 45 foot cable from the living room to the bedroom. My wife and I ran a CAT6 cable to the bedroom today so we can network it. Now we are just waiting for the TV to show up tomorrow.

As for the missing TiVo in the Living Room? With the money I'm saving on the switch and cabling I was able to get a good down payment on a new TiVo Elite with FOUR TUNERS! Woot! It's on it's way from Weaknees right now.

I figure with four tuners I won't be needing to switch back and forth between TiVos since all my SP's will be on one box instead of two like they are now. I"m leaving the playroom as it is. The kids don't need HDTV yet, but when they do I will move TiVo2 in there and run it locally too.

No need for any switches and no need for any RF remotes. Just a whole lot simpler. My gut feeling is I'd end up bailing on the switch eventually anyway, and it's not a small amount of work to run 22 Gauge HDMI Cables under the house. Honestly? I'm relieved. This is gonna be a whole lot easier to maintain.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page