TV/AVR HDMI Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be an old issue, maybe not. I have an Integra 30.3 AVR connected to my Sony EX55 via HDMI. When I connect my LG BD player via HDMI through the BD input on the Integra, I get quick 1 second flashes of video, then black for 3 seconds or so, then 1 sec video, then black, on and on. If I run the BD directly into the TV, no problem. Changed HDMI's, same issue. This happened with my old Denon AVR, too. That's why I switched to the Integra. So, not the AVR. Not the cables. Took the LG to a Best Buy for Geek Squad help. It did it for them, too into an Insignia TV through a Yamaha AVR. Bad BD player, right? Nope. Replaced the LG with a new PS3 Slim. Same same when connected to the Game input. Tried new firmware for TV. Tried turn-on sequence changes. First the AVR, then the PS3, then the TV. Same same. Tried PS3 first, then AVR, then TV. Same same.

Oh, audio is unaffected. When I go to Pandora, herky jerky one second at a time not being able to see the screen steadily, audio is fine.

I reset the PS3 and connected via red white yellow analog to the AVR. Works fine. I'll settle for this if I can't get the HDMI to work, but it seems a shame to not use HDMI with a BluRay device.

?????????????????

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post

This may be an old issue, maybe not. I have an Integra 30.3 AVR connected to my Sony EX55 via HDMI. When I connect my LG BD player via HDMI through the BD input on the Integra, I get quick 1 second flashes of video, then black for 3 seconds or so, then 1 sec video, then black, on and on. If I run the BD directly into the TV, no problem. Changed HDMI's, same issue. This happened with my old Denon AVR, too. That's why I switched to the Integra. So, not the AVR. Not the cables. Took the LG to a Best Buy for Geek Squad help. It did it for them, too into an Insignia TV through a Yamaha AVR. Bad BD player, right? Nope. Replaced the LG with a new PS3 Slim. Same same when connected to the Game input. Tried new firmware for TV. Tried turn-on sequence changes. First the AVR, then the PS3, then the TV. Same same. Tried PS3 first, then AVR, then TV. Same same.

Oh, audio is unaffected. When I go to Pandora, herky jerky one second at a time not being able to see the screen steadily, audio is fine.

I reset the PS3 and connected via red white yellow analog to the AVR. Works fine. I'll settle for this if I can't get the HDMI to work, but it seems a shame to not use HDMI with a BluRay device.

?????????????????

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How long are the cables and are there any wall plates used? Did you see the results of the Geek squad test? If so was the timing exactly the same?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Cable from avr to ps3 is 6 ft. Cable from avr to tv is 10 ft through wall with plates on wall. This was not happening when first connected to denon and LG bd. then it began, for some reason. Now, denon and Lg are gone but still happens. Something in tv?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Try PS3 > AVR > Display - ensure there is no disc in the player and then power off the three devices (not standby - full power off at the wall); now repower!

The flashing image sounds like the HDCP key sequence is not working - though with no disc in the player HDCP ought not to kick in!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the solution to my problem with HDMI.

1) remove HDMI cable between PS3 and AVR
2) replace HDMI with optical 'Toslink' for audio and component RCA for video

Problem solved.

Got a new 'smart' all in one remote programmed to start everything up and life is good again.

Don't know why the HDMI wouldn't work and DON'T CARE!!! Ha!

S
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Having exact same issues with Denon AVR-4310CI, Denon DVD-2500BTCI and Mitsubishi WD-73C9. Never had this problem when I had a Denon AVR-2310CI in the same setup. Have spent hours talking to tech support at Denon and Mitsubishi, done all the firmware / software upgrades they recommended, turned off HDMI Control in the AVR and CEC control in the TV, upgraded to high speed HDMI cables, and still have the same problem. In fact,its worse since some of my Blu-Rays previously played fine, now the video cycles on/off on all of them.

AT this point I'm stuck in the middle as Denon is blaming Mitsubishi and vice versa. Bottom line is that there is no guarantee that any so-called HDCP-compliant components will work together. Unbelieveable! Any suggestions????
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Abandon all hope. Use Toslink and component video. Solved my problem. I had a Denon 2311 before the Integra. That's when it started, but the Integra does the same thing. Don't care, though. Getting rid of the HDMI was the best thing for me. Enjoying my system again and not doing troubleshooting, seemingly FOREVER, with no solutions in sight.
S
post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks, but I don't have that option as my DVD-2500BTCI only has HDMI ouput. Not ready to give up the fight just yet, and the more I research this issue, the more widespread it seems to be. Of course, the manufacturers want you to think you're the only customer who has this problem.

My next step is to take it up with the editor at Home Theater Magazine. He's published several of my letters (you might get a chuckle out of the one in the March '12 issue titled "It's About The Bass"), and he may be able to at least give it enough visibility that the manufacturers will come up with a fix.

As I understand it, the so-called "hand-shake" issue is caused by the fact that each manufacturer has created his own peculiar CEC codes, etc. Hard to believe, but the industry / FCC apparently allowed this to happen.

Anyway, glad to hear that your "work-around" solved your problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's my set-up that has a few similar components without any issues:
TV- Mit WD60737
AVR- Onkyo TX-SR875
DVD players:
Oppo DV-983H
Oppo BDP-83
Sony BDP-BX37
And: Directv H20-100
ALL are connected with Audioquest HDMI cables except the Sony player which has a Belkin one which is 4 feet long. The rest are three feet long.
There you have it.

Home Theater Aficionado
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page