HDMI 1.4 Yes Or No? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a 1.5ft High Speed HDMI cable. All I need is a 1.3 version because I don't have any of the internet channel stuff. Will it be ok to use a 1.4 version cable? I'll need it for 3D, Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio,Etc. Will the short length make a difference in response of any kind?

Thanks for your help,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolivero View Post

I am in the market for a 1.5ft High Speed HDMI cable. All I need is a 1.3 version because I don't have any of the internet channel stuff. Will it be ok to use a 1.4 version cable? I'll need it for 3D, Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio,Etc. Will the short length make a difference in response of any kind?

Thanks for your help,
Rick

There's really no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable. If you are seeing that on the marketing it is kind of BS. Just look for high speed and you'll be fine. At 1.5ft I'm guessing any cable you are looking at will be high speed. You can get one on monoprice for about $2.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate your help ktrdsl23. I guess the manufacturers will say anything to sell their product.
Rick
post #4 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post

There's really no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable. If you are seeing that on the marketing it is kind of BS. Just look for high speed and you'll be fine. At 1.5ft I'm guessing any cable you are looking at will be high speed. You can get one on monoprice for about $2.

Sure there is a difference in 1.3 and 1.4b HDMI cables. 1.4b has support for ethernet connection meaning you can connect the ethernet cable attached to the HDMI cord to the back of the modem and all devices(Xbox\\TV) connected HDMI all share that one connection
post #5 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
MrVybz - probably best if you research things first!!!

As ktrds123 says cables are not version number' compliant they are either High Speed or Standard with the (pretty much redundant) option of with Ethernet' at both Speed ratings.

The HDMI Ethernet Channel is the only feature' that requires a special' cable - though as no manufacturer has implemented this Feature' it's not much of a worry for anyone!

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVybz View Post

Sure there is a difference in 1.3 and 1.4b HDMI cables. 1.4b has support for ethernet connection meaning you can connect the ethernet cable attached to the HDMI cord to the back of the modem and all devices(Xbox\\TV) connected HDMI all share that one connection

How about checking your facts before posting next time? This is the type of post that just confuses people, who don't know any better, later on.

Let me include some references. The HDMI Org owns the trademarks, the patents, the copyrights and, up until the HDMI Forum, mandated the specs for HDMI. Here's what they have to say,

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

If you read those, you'll see that "with Ethernet" is an option onto both Standard Speed and High Speed HDMI cables. In either case there are no version numbers.

It's also interesting that you bring this up since we can't find a single consumer device that currently supports HDMI with Ethernet. Just because you plug a magic HDMI with Ethernet cable into a device doesn't mean Ethernet is being sent over HDMI. So if that were the criteria for a "1.4b cable" then no one has HDMI 1.4 and we know that isn't true. The "with Ethernet" option means that a special chipset has to take your Ethernet connection (RJ-45 connector) and provide an additional link onto the HDMI cable. This then becomes an extension of your LAN, but every device has to be able to support the option for it to be used, not just the original transmitter.

There is no modem involved and there certainly is no "ethernet cable attached to the HDMI cord". If HDMI with Ethernet ever gets going, the Ethernet signal will be sent *as part of* the HDMI transmission, not separately.

As Joe said, next time do some research first before appending. It doesn't help anyone to randomly append your thoughts as facts. That's a really bad first append. Hopefully your next append will be better thought-out.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVybz View Post

HDMI 1.4b cable?

post #8 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 88
Well, it is an HDMI cable with Ethernet :-)
post #9 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

HDMI 1.4b cable?

Now you did it. Somebody in China is going to make one and sell it on eBay.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm not sure why the manufacturers are naming the cable 1.3 or 1.4. All I can surmise is that regardless of the version they are tryng to sell, a high speed is a high speed whether 1.3 or 1.4.

Thanks again all,

Rick
post #11 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolivero View Post

...a high speed is a high speed whether 1.3 or 1.4.

You got it, unless it is not high speed at all. There seem to be lots of cables around that are referred to as high speed that are not. If in doubt, ask for a copy of the ATC certificate for the cable.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

There is an ATC certificate. Another question I have is if a 28awg of 1.5 ft length is enough for a cable box to receiver hook up?

Rick
post #13 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

28 AWG is adequate for that length.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Colm. I have a 2ft 24awg with NET jacket from Monoprice at the moment but it is a very stiff cable at that length as you well know. I'm afraid the bend in the cable will eventually damage the connectors. I would rather use a 1.5ft 28awg which would be more flexible from my Comcast DVR to my Denon 3312 receiver. I just don't want any decrease in function with the 28awg,
post #15 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I would avoid the ones with ferrites. Ferrites do nothing to improve your picture and may even make the signal a bit worse. BJC Tartan cables are about the same price as monoprice and don't have ferrites.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

I agree. I did not want the ferrites either.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

MrVybz – probably best if you research things first!!!

As ktrds123 says cables are not ‘version number’ compliant they are either High Speed or Standard with the (pretty much redundant) option of ‘with Ethernet’ at both Speed ratings.

The HDMI Ethernet Channel is the only ‘feature’ that requires a ‘special’ cable – though as no manufacturer has implemented this ‘Feature’ it’s not much of a worry for anyone!

Joe

Im Sorry i stated my sentence wrong i was actually talking about the cable wire itself not the HDMI version # i thought it match better for futureproofing.....again sorry for the misunderstanding
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page