How do I make this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're finishing up a basement remodel and I feel that we're missing one key piece to do what I want. Honestly, not even sure if it can be done so I figured I would ask here.

Here is the setup -
Bar - Rack. It all starts (or ends?) here. Small TV here.
Family Room - 30 feet from Bar. 2 Cat6 cables run from rack to TV. TV will be 3D.
Bedroom - 40 feet from Bar. 2 Cat6 cables run from rack to TV.

Rack components -
* PS3
* HTPC
* DirecTv satellite
* Blu-ray player

I would like a 4x4 matrix that will allow us to be able to switch components from tv to tv and also have multiple tvs share the same program (all showing same DirecTv show for example) and also to be able to have 3D on family room tv when we want.

I'm still wrapping my brain around HDMI / Hdbaset and want to make sure I get the right equipment before the last of the drywall goes up.

Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdadof3 View Post

We're finishing up a basement remodel and I feel that we're missing one key piece to do what I want. Honestly, not even sure if it can be done so I figured I would ask here.

Here is the setup -
Bar - Rack. It all starts (or ends?) here. Small TV here.
Family Room - 30 feet from Bar. 2 Cat6 cables run from rack to TV. TV will be 3D.
Bedroom - 40 feet from Bar. 2 Cat6 cables run from rack to TV.

Rack components -
* PS3
* HTPC
* DirecTv satellite
* Blu-ray player

I would like a 4x4 matrix that will allow us to be able to switch components from tv to tv and also have multiple tvs share the same program (all showing same DirecTv show for example) and also to be able to have 3D on family room tv when we want.

I'm still wrapping my brain around HDMI / Hdbaset and want to make sure I get the right equipment before the last of the drywall goes up.

Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated!

For this to work easily, *all* TVs must be 3D capable. Either that or you have to start spoofing the EDID to fake 3D compatibility. The example below has the ability to spoof the EDID (and appears to be customizable over its USB port - I hadn't seen that before).

The one thing I don't see in your list is an AVR. You're going through a lot of expense to send the audio output through the very small speakers in today's TVs.

Using something like this should work. I show this as an example since there is more than one manufacturer out there. Before you look, remember HDMI is not cheap.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethe...tch%204x4.html

Don't forget to also think about how you are going to control all this. Having to go into another room to change the channel gets old quickly. You may also find that competing for the DirecTV receiver means a second receiver is needed (in which case a 4x4 matrix won't work).
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I did leave out the AVR, not sure what I was thinking there. Of course there is one.

Bit out of our budget. Any suggestions on alternate setup to get close to what we'd like? Could we go with a regular 4x4 matrix and when it came time to use the 3D it becomes a manual process of switching cables?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdadof3 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I did leave out the AVR, not sure what I was thinking there. Of course there is one.

Bit out of our budget. Any suggestions on alternate setup to get close to what we'd like? Could we go with a regular 4x4 matrix and when it came time to use the 3D it becomes a manual process of switching cables?

Run HDMI only to the 3D TV. Run component to the other TVs. Make sure to get an older Blu-Ray player so that component can output 1080i (anything made before 2011). You won't notice the difference on the DirecTV. Blu-Ray you probably won't either if you have decent TVs or small enough TVs.

And, you'll save a bunch of money.

You'll need a 4x1 HDMI switcher (somthing like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) and a 4x2 component video/audio switcher (something like this: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4to2covimasw.html). You would also need an HDMI run to the TV and two component video/audio runs to the other TVs. Where does the AVR go (I'm assuming with the 3D TV)?

Do you have a remote control method? The DirecTV box has an RF option. However, PS3 uses Bluetooth for the remote and that is more difficult (but can solved with money). My experience has been that for an easy-to-use multiroom system, you'll spend at least as much on the remote control setup as the video switching.

As to your question, yes you could do that. It would mean that you would have to plug your 3D source directly to the TV. Make sure you plug-in carefully since you don't want damage your in-wall cable. This would mean you would have an HDMI cables in the wall rather than Cat 6, if I followed your question correctly. Otherwise you'll still need to convert to Cat 6, which will add some money.