HDMI Recommendation 50-60ft - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting ready to order my supplies for my HT build, and need a good solid HDMI cable, of course budget friendly.

Depending on final placement of Projector and equipment closet, my run will be around 50-58ft. Will want FULL 1080p video and HD Audio of course. Looks like Blue Jean Cables (HERE) gurantees the 45ft high speed cables, but nothing longer, but claim they have had sucess.

Should I try a cheaper cable first (Like This), or the more expensive BJ cables? Maybe two cat cables instead?

Sources => HTPC and PS3
Display => TBD (Probably a Panny or Espon PJ)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Getting ready to order my supplies for my HT build, and need a good solid HDMI cable, of course budget friendly.

Depending on final placement of Projector and equipment closet, my run will be around 50-58ft. Will want FULL 1080p video and HD Audio of course. Looks like Blue Jean Cables (HERE) gurantees the 45ft high speed cables, but nothing longer, but claim they have had sucess.

Should I try a cheaper cable first (Like This), or the more expensive BJ cables? Maybe two cat cables instead?

Sources => HTPC and PS3
Display => TBD (Probably a Panny or Espon PJ)

You might want to ask Aurum cables for their High Speed certificate for that length of cable. As far as we know there are no 50 foot High Speed cables. For a cable to be high speed, it has to have a certificate the shows it passed high speed testing. We've found manufacturers that certify a shorter cable for High Speed and then claim this extends out to longer distances (which it does not) without further testing. We've also found manufacturers who say their cable is high speed just because it can pass a 1080p signal (which is insufficient).

There are cheaper certified High Speed cables out there but usually they end at 25' to 30'. Two 25' High Speed cables do not equal one 50' High Speed cable.

So, anything over 30' is usually done with a high gauge Standard Speed cable and you test to make sure that it will work for what you want (3D for instance). If BJC has a 45' High Speed cable that they are willing to back-up, then that would be a reputable source. But, the bottom line is to ask to see the certificate and check other users opinions when possible.

BTW, High Speed takes you out to 10.2 gbps, which is beyond what any HDMI chipset sends out right now. However, if you enable Deep Color (which has dubious value IMHO) and 1080p/60, you'll start to approach that end of the bandwidth spectrum.

And, if this is for in-wall, remember once it is in the wall it becomes much more difficult to replace later on if it doesn't meet a future spec addition to HDMI.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. So if I am just looking for basic 1080p (Blue-Ray) quality image, will a Standard cable work? I was on monoprice and there standard cables all say 720p/1080i.

I want to make sure since I am paying for a good source and display that my connection will pass 1080p.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Or should I just get this from Monoprice....anyone have experience with this option? HERE

post #5 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no guarantee than any passive HDMI cable will do what you want at the length you want. A standard HDMI cable is only certified to handle up to 1080i/720p. A high speed HDMI cable is certified to handle any HDMI signal. The longest certified standard cable is about 45'. The longest certified high speed cable is about 25'.

That said, folks have reported success with 1080p/60 at 100'. The certification test is conservative, and real world performance is often better. HDMI performance depends on the bit rate, the cables, all the electronics involved, and the environment. What works for one person may not work for another. Change one thing, and it is a whole new ball game.

BJC Series 1 cable will give you the best chance of achieving the results you want because it is essentially built to tighter tolerances than most cables because of the use of Belden bonded-pair cable. However, a monoprice cable might do the job. Only way you are going to find out is buy one and try it out.

If you want guaranteed performance, you are going to have to go with something like a HDBaseT based extender.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

...High Speed takes you out to 10.2 gbps, which is beyond what any HDMI chipset sends out right now.

At least one manufacturer, Silicon Image, has announced 300 Mhz chips that will take you close to that, and support 1080p60 3D and 4K. Don't know how many CE manufacturers are taking advantage of this yet, but it is only a matter of time. If either of these modes is something OP might be interested in down the road, it might pay to set up the infrastructure for it now, and that would mean full high speed performance.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or should I just get this from Monoprice....anyone have experience with this option? HERE

Any opinions on this option? The HDBaseT looks out of my budget right now..eek!

post #8 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

There is no guarantee than any passive HDMI cable will do what you want at the length you want. A standard HDMI cable is only certified to handle up to 1080i/720p. A high speed HDMI cable is certified to handle any HDMI signal. The longest certified standard cable is about 45'. The longest certified high speed cable is about 25'.

So certification and actual performance of passing 1080p is subject to conditions. Anybody have any personal experience with a recommended cable to try out?

Just to show you I know nothing, I assumed all HDMI cables passed 1080p with no questions. Guess that's their good marketing out there!!

post #9 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
on top of the current points, the op wants HD audio... so it is likely that he will have a further "loop" in the mix of a rcvr and the corresponding connections to worry about... but a "try and see" is still the best bet (along with crossing your fingers).
post #10 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

on top of the current points, the op wants HD audio... so it is likely that he will have a further "loop" in the mix of a rcvr and the corresponding connections to worry about... but a "try and see" is still the best bet (along with crossing your fingers).

I apologize, I have a Pioneer Elite SC-07 that everything will run through that, then output to display.

post #11 of 19 Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I apologize, I have a Pioneer Elite SC-07 that everything will run through that, then output to display.

No need to apologize since I don't think that changes the recommendation of using a reputable higher gauge standard speed cable for 50'. The trick is to make sure you test the cable in, at least, the highest bandwidth situation that you will use it.

For background, remember HDMI cables come in two varieties, Standard Speed and High Speed. There are a few options, including the currently-useless "with Ethernet" option, which if ever implemented would allow for a LAN signal to be sent on the HDMI cable. However, the thing to remember is that the pin-outs are exactly the same between a Standard Speed and a High Speed cable. Only the certification is different.

So, a Standard Speed cable is guaranteed to work at 1080i/720p not because it can't work with 1080p but because it only has been certified for 1080i/720p. It is possible to use a 50' HDMI cable for 1080p/60 (or 1080p/24 3D) without problems. I use a 24 gauge monoprice cable and I think we worked out the total length of the HDMI cables from the switcher to the HDTV to be roughly 65'. Everything but the middle 50' is high speed cable.

Choose from a reputable source and test before installing.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again thanks. That make more sense. I'll order a standard cable first, test it and hope for the best.

Do you recommend high speed cables for my short runs like you have?

post #13 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Again thanks. That make more sense. I'll order a standard cable first, test it and hope for the best.

Do you recommend high speed cables for my short runs like you have?

Depending upon the length, it may not make a difference but it certainly won't hurt. I tried using a standard speed (lower quality) cable on my 65' run for one the short runs and it prevented the 1080p. So for that particular case, going to a high speed cable made a difference (or maybe just getting rid of the lower quality cable made a difference).

The price difference for short cables is so small that high speed made sense to me.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

At least one manufacturer, Silicon Image, has announced 300 Mhz chips that will take you close to that, and support 1080p60 3D and 4K. Don't know how many CE manufacturers are taking advantage of this yet, but it is only a matter of time. If either of these modes is something OP might be interested in down the road, it might pay to set up the infrastructure for it now, and that would mean full high speed performance.

Colm, meant to response earlier. I was wondering when someone would have a 4K chipset available. With Sony's new projector able to accept 4K inputs and Onkyo having a 4K-capable AVR, I figured chipsets would be coming along shortly.

Only thing missing now is 4K source material for the home. I think that's kind-of important :-) Of course, 4K will always be a nitch market anyway since there is a great many people who still don't know they are looking at a standard def picture on their new HDTV when using their composite output cable boxes (or worse, the coax).
post #15 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I think we will see widespread 1080p60 3D gaming before we see 4K in the home.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I am using a 45' BJC series 1 cable and strongly endorse it. It has worked flawlessly for me for over 2 years now running 1080p to a JVC RS10 projector. I am in Canada and I wanted something that I know would work, it is worth the extra $ over the Monoprice cables.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM

This may be another option. The 50' high-speed cable with Ethernet that can support resolutions up to 4K AT14039L-15
post #18 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justas View Post

This may be another option. The 50' high-speed cable with Ethernet that can support resolutions up to 4K AT14039L-15

Something smells fishy...

"Designed to support TV's with high refresh rates (up to 800MHz)"

Hmmm...Surprisingly there is no mention of the cable being certified, but I would be happy to find out I'm wrong. For close to $400 a piece you would think someone would certify the cable as high speed?
post #19 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

How does the Kool-Aid taste, Justas?

FWIW Atlona is an HDMI adopter. Ask for a copy of the ATC certificate for the cable. AFAIK the longest certified passive high speed HDMI cables are about 25'. Could be an active cable, I guess. But the copy makes no mention of it.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page