Newby has PC/Receiver/TV question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm new to this site, very cool. I can see I'm (virtually) surrounded by many who know a lot more about this stuff. That being the case, I have a simple question:

I currently have a Denon 4306 receiver connected to our 720 flatscreen via HDMI. The sound for TV, music, etc. is fantastic throughout the house.

I would like to connect our newer laptop to the Denon (via HDMI). Will we be able to see the laptop screen on the TV? Is there anything else I need to connect? I know we'll be able to play music from the hard drive, but will we be able watch movies on the bigscreen played on the laptop?

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaoly View Post

Hello, I'm new to this site, very cool. I can see I'm (virtually) surrounded by many who know a lot more about this stuff. That being the case, I have a simple question:

I currently have a Denon 4306 receiver connected to our 720 flatscreen via HDMI. The sound for TV, music, etc. is fantastic throughout the house.

I would like to connect our newer laptop to the Denon (via HDMI). Will we be able to see the laptop screen on the TV? Is there anything else I need to connect? I know we'll be able to play music from the hard drive, but will we be able watch movies on the bigscreen played on the laptop?

Thanks for any help!!

If your laptop supports the ability to send the screen to the TV you'll be able to. You'll have to choose a video resolution that is compatible with the TV. There is also usually a key (or Fn-key combination) that has to be pressed to activate the external TV interface. You also have to make sure that the audio on the laptop is being sent over the HDMI interface.

Really what you have isn't an HDMI question but more of a laptop capability question. For what is worth, HDMI is capable of sending out audio and video from a laptop, but whether it does depends upon the laptop.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Andy for the reply.

Not sure if the laptop is capable, it's a Dell inspiron 2010. Will just have to give it a try. Thanks for the help- Scott