Trouble between PanasonicBlu-ray player and Yamaha A?V Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently set up a new home theater with an Epson 9700UB p1080p projector.

I connect my Dish box and Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player with HDMI cables to my Yamaha RX-V467 A/V receiver.

I have had no problem watching satellite programs.

The Blu-ray player and A/V apparently don't connect well.

When I watch a Blu-ray, it is hit or miss whether I have no problem, or have almost constant audio and video droputs lasting a couple of seconds, followed by an instant or more of audio & video.

I have tried several different HDMI cables, switched Blu-ray and Dish inputs on the Yamaha receiver without any improvement.

I've even had problems with the Blu-ray player menu going on and off, when I had no disc in the drive.

I connected the Panasonic Blu-ray player directly to another TV and had no problem.

The Yamaha manual says that if sound/images suddenly go off, to make sure speaker wires are not touching each other. I checked all my speaker wires and they were fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Interesting. I have the BDT-210 player and a Yamaha RX-V371 AVR. The HDMI cables are certified High Speed cables from MediaBridge and the speaker wire is 2-wire, 16AWG (basically heater wire) for a max wire run of about 30'. TV is OTA only so the antenna connection is via the OTA/Cable input of the tv with optical out to the AVR for DD5.1 sound using the AV4 input of the receiver. The 210 is connected to the HDMI1 input of the AVR and the AppleTV2 is connected to HDMI2. Single HDMI out to the tv. Harmony 880 controls everything and the playback is flawless and trouble-free. I'm not familiar with projectors but can you connect the 210 directly to the projector and see if that plays ok (you said it worked with another tv). I can't imagine why the 210 wouldn't play well thru the Yamaha but it does sound like some sort of grounding or settings issue.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardi View Post

I recently set up a new home theater with an Epson 9700UB p1080p projector.

I connect my Dish box and Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player with HDMI cables to my Yamaha RX-V467 A/V receiver.

I have had no problem watching satellite programs.

The Blu-ray player and A/V apparently don't connect well.

When I watch a Blu-ray, it is hit or miss whether I have no problem, or have almost constant audio and video droputs lasting a couple of seconds, followed by an instant or more of audio & video.

I have tried several different HDMI cables, switched Blu-ray and Dish inputs on the Yamaha receiver without any improvement.

I've even had problems with the Blu-ray player menu going on and off, when I had no disc in the drive.

I connected the Panasonic Blu-ray player directly to another TV and had no problem.

The Yamaha manual says that if sound/images suddenly go off, to make sure speaker wires are not touching each other. I checked all my speaker wires and they were fine.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yes, we've heard of Yamaha's (and other brands) having firmware issues with the EDID signal, which tells the source components what capabilities the sink components have. In other words, make sure the Yamaha has up-to-date firmware.

Ignore the section of the manual that says to check the speaker wire. That is in case *the entire receiver* shuts-off. Shorting the speaker wires will cause the receiver's protection circuit to kick-in. It has nothing to do with HDMI drop-outs, which is what you are having.

The one thing you didn't mention is how long these cables are. Could you provide cable lengths, please?

Another thing to try, as Otto said, is to go direct to the display. If that works, then if you can borrow and try another receiver (of a different brand or model) that would also provide a clue. Basically you have to act as detective and figure out what component (including cables) is incompatible with the rest of the components.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Otto and Andy,

Thanks for responding.

I did connect the 210 directly to the projector. No image dropouts.

HDMI cables used: Yamaha AV receiver output to wall plate, wall plate (HDMI inside wall and ceiling) to ceiling plate, ceiling plate to projector input.

Panasonic to HDMI1 input on Yamaha, also tried HDMI2 and HDMI3 yielding the same problem. Satellite to HDMI2 input. No problem with satellite.

Joe
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Otto and Andy,

Thanks for responding.

I did connect the 210 directly to the projector. No image dropouts.

HDMI cables used: Yamaha AV receiver output to wall plate, wall plate (HDMI inside wall and ceiling) to ceiling plate, ceiling plate to projector input.

Panasonic to HDMI1 input on Yamaha, also tried HDMI2 and HDMI3 yielding the same problem. Satellite to HDMI2 input. No problem with satellite.

Joe

Hmmm, when you connected the 210 directly to the projector was that with an HDMI cable that was NOT in the wall? If it was, then maybe the in-wall cabling is bad or the wall plate is not making a good connection. Alk3997 is the one who can really diagnose the problem if it's the HDMI cable
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Hmmm, when you connected the 210 directly to the projector was that with an HDMI cable that was NOT in the wall? If it was, then maybe the in-wall cabling is bad or the wall plate is not making a good connection. Alk3997 is the one who can really diagnose the problem if it's the HDMI cable

It could be, but the same in-wall cabling and wall and ceiling plates are also used to get Dish satellite to the projector with no problems.

I just tried an older Sony Blu-ray player connected to the AV receiver in place of the Panasonic. The Sony had no problem playing the same discs the Panasonic & Yamaha had trouble with. But the Sony does not have any internet apps like Netflix that my wife hopes to use for exercise videos, etc., in the theater room.

I received an email reply from Panasonic telling me basically to talk to Yamaha.

I tried sending Yamaha customer support a report from their web site, but their system refused to accept it, saying that I did not fill in three required fields - none of which existed on their support form. They do not do email support. I guess I'll call tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:

It could be, but the same in-wall cabling and wall and ceiling plates are also used to get Dish satellite to the projector with no problems.

I just tried an older Sony Blu-ray player connected to the AV receiver in place of the Panasonic. The Sony had no problem playing the same discs the Panasonic & Yamaha had trouble with. But the Sony does not have any internet apps like Netflix that my wife hopes to use for exercise videos, etc., in the theater room.

I received an email reply from Panasonic telling me basically to talk to Yamaha.

I tried sending Yamaha customer support a report from their web site, but their system refused to accept it, saying that I did not fill in three required fields - none of which existed on their support form. They do not do email support. I guess I'll call tomorrow.

Internet aps are irrelevent. The HDMI chipset is relevent.

What happens if you set the output resolution of the Blu-Ray player to 1080i or 720p? If those work (and the receiver resolution is set to "native" or similar words in the menu), then it's likely a cable-type problem

A modern Blu-Ray player will likely set its output to 1080p, which is twice the bandwidth of a 1080i Dish box. So, it could be that you have older standard speed cables in your wall that simply can't support the 1080p signal. Only way to find out is to try 1080i (or 720p) with the Blu-Ray player.

Remember, some receivers (Yamaha included) can change their output resolution to 1080p. That is why it is so important to select "native" since then the AVR should keep whatever resolution it gets as input for the output and allow you to have a valid test.

I'm still leaning towards bit errors caused by the cable as the reason for the problems. However, Yamaha firmware has been known to have bugs with HDMI.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1662&bih=829

Also make sure HDMI CEC is disabled on the receiver and the Blu-Ray player.

Finally, when you specify HDMI cables, make sure to include lengths and whether they are standard speed HDMI cable or high speed HDMI cables (or you don't know). The length is really important for diagnosing an issue.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

The HDMI CEC appears to be what Yamaha calls HDMI Control, which has a default setting of OFF.

I'll search the Panasonic manual for any settings related to that.

Total HDMI cable length in-wall is 17 or 18 feet, speed unknown. Wall/ceiling to Yamaha/projector are each 3 feet high speed. Panasonic to Yamaha is 3 feet high speed.

The electrician who wired the room installed the in-wall cables. I'll ask him about HDMI cables he used when he's back in a few days to complete another project.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

The HDMI CEC appears to be what Yamaha calls HDMI Control, which has a default setting of OFF.

I'll search the Panasonic manual for any settings related to that.

Total HDMI cable length in-wall is 17 or 18 feet, speed unknown. Wall/ceiling to Yamaha/projector are each 3 feet high speed. Panasonic to Yamaha is 3 feet high speed.

The electrician who wired the room installed the in-wall cables. I'll ask him about HDMI cables he used when he's back in a few days to complete another project.

Sounds good. I think the best test will be the 1080i/720p test with the Blu-Ray player.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ yep, quick and easy. I have HDMI Control off on my Yamaha as well as all other processing.