Options for 65 foot cable run ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be needing to run some type of cable approximately 65 feet from a Sat receiver (E*). I will probably have to use a switch (1x2) and share the HDMI output from the sat receiver to 2 HD TVs.

I already have RG6 run to that location, is there a technology that allows using the coax end to end with HDMI converters on both ends ?

What options do I have ?

Thanks
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 88
This just came up about a month (or two) ago.

I had originally written the answer as "no" since there are only two conductors on a coax line (plus shield) compared to HDMI's 18 lines. However, it turns out some companies are making an adapter for HDMI to coax.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coax-adapter.html

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-coax-extender.html

I have no idea how good these are but I'd check to make sure there is no compression of the video / audio signal before purchasing. Also try to find reviews of the products. The first one specifies 1080p/720p on one page and then on their specs page specifies 1080p/1080i, so I'm not sure what to make of their advertisement. Not cheap.

The one piece of good news is that since it is a satellite receiver, 1080i is sufficient for showing the image. You won't gain any picture quality with a 1080p output on either of the major satellite company boxes. The signal is sent to the box as 1080i (or 720p).
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
I just went through this. I needed to get HD to my 2nd HD TV, 65 feet away. The sat box 2nd output was RF coax and SD only.

I first tried a wirless HDMI Rcvr/trans, this worked marginally, it would be fine and then no signal.

I sent that back and got a 65 foot 24 ga HDMI cable with booster built in, this came off ebay for $129 . Then I added a Rocketfish splitter and now I am happy.

Next I want to add 5.1 audio to the 2nd TV, I think it should work through the audio return on the TV going to a Home theater.

Hope this helps .

John
post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd12491 View Post

I just went through this. I needed to get HD to my 2nd HD TV, 65 feet away. The sat box 2nd output was RF coax and SD only.

I first tried a wirless HDMI Rcvr/trans, this worked marginally, it would be fine and then no signal.

I sent that back and got a 65 foot 24 ga HDMI cable with booster built in, this came off ebay for $129 . Then I added a Rocketfish splitter and now I am happy.

Next I want to add 5.1 audio to the 2nd TV, I think it should work through the audio return on the TV going to a Home theater.

Hope this helps .

John

Remember for the Audio Return Channel (ARC) to work, the TV and the receiver must both support the capability. If you don't see ARC listed as a capability, the TV or receiver doesn't support it.

Also remember that for 5.1-channel audio to work, all components in the HDMI chain must support 5.1-channel over HDMI. In other words, if you include a stereo TV somewhere in the HDMI chain, then the source components will only include a stereo audio output for compatibility, even if everything else can handle 5.1-channel audio.

So that brings-up the question of what type of signal does an ARC-enabled TV send to a receiver? I did a quick look-up on the AVSForum and it turns out the answer is "depends on the TV". Some Samsung models will only send stereo to the receiver, while other Samsungs will send 5.1-channel. The Panasonics reviewed will send 5.1-channel audio over ARC. The one item noted was that if you are only getting stereo going to an AVR, there was nothing a user could do to change that.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page