4' HDMI question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I have a 4' HDMI cable. It is Hi Speed 30 awg. Will this be OK to use for all my equipment...Bluray player dual hdmi's, Comcast with Motorola Digital Set-Top Box? If not, please advise me of of what awg I should use, if these aren't the right ones?

Thanks, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Since you already have the cable, try it and see. If you are not getting sparkles or worse, the picture is as good as it gets.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I've tried it on my Comcast top box and that seems fine. I should have said, I have a 3D Bluray player? I can return them if need be. What do you think about the Bluray player, with dual HDMI"s? Go with a better cable> Monoprice net jacket 24 awg, doesn't have much bend to it. Thanks in advance.

Jerry
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if what you have is truly a certified high speed HDMI cable, you don't need anything else. A certified high speed HDMI cable will handle any HDMI signal. You certainly don't need 24 AWG for 4'.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

This is what I got....Monster THX.....Monster Cable 500 for HDMI....Hi Speed 10.2 Gbps
Would this be OK for the Bluray player, for video and audio?

Thanks again, Jerry
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post

Hi,

This is what I got....Monster THX.....Monster Cable 500 for HDMI....Hi Speed 10.2 Gbps
Would this be OK for the Bluray player, for video and audio?

Thanks again, Jerry

As long as it's certified (and you can get/view the certificate) it will be fine. However, you probably paid a lot more for the Monster cable than you needed to. I use a certified High Speed 4' cable for my BD player to AVR and it works just fine (and I paid $8 for the cable).
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

As long as it's certified (and you can get/view the certificate) it will be fine. However, you probably paid a lot more for the Monster cable than you needed to. I use a certified High Speed 4' cable for my BD player to AVR and it works just fine (and I paid $8 for the cable).

Hi,
I only paid 10.00 for it. I'm guessing not too bad. Where would I find the certificate at...on the box someplace or a tag, on the hdmi?

Thanks, Jerry
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

The box states all over it about Hi Speed. This is the original OEM box.
This is on the box...The official hi speed data rate as specified by HDMI licensing, LLC is 4.95 Gbps unequalized, 10.2 Gbps equalized. Is this what I'm looking for? It also states on the hdmi, hi speed.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:

The box states all over it about Hi Speed. This is the original OEM box.
This is on the box...The official hi speed data rate as specified by HDMI licensing, LLC is 4.95 Gbps unequalized, 10.2 Gbps equalized. Is this what I'm looking for? It also states on the hdmi, hi speed.

Thanks, Jerry

Colm gave you the best advice. Try it. At $10, you don't have much to lose. If you see sparkles or lines or no picture at all, it's likely the cable. If not you're good to go. Give it about 10 minutes with a 1080p/60 source (or 1080p/24 if that is all you have). Any cable problem will be very obvious (not subtle).

High Speed HDMI is as good as it gets and 4' is short. So, you shouldn't have a problem based on the specs.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Colm gave you the best advice. Try it. At $10, you don't have much to lose. If you see sparkles or lines or no picture at all, it's likely the cable. If not you're good to go. Give it about 10 minutes with a 1080p/60 source (or 1080p/24 if that is all you have). Any cable problem will be very obvious (not subtle).

High Speed HDMI is as good as it gets and 4' is short. So, you shouldn't have a problem based on the specs.

Thanks, I'll try that!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Hi,
I only paid 10.00 for it. I'm guessing not too bad. Where would I find the certificate at...on the box someplace or a tag, on the hdmi?

Thanks, Jerry

$10 for a Monster cable is not bad. The packaging should say certified on it and the certificate is either in the packaging or you should be able to view or download it on the Monster site. I'm not sure how that works. I bought mine from MediaBridge and the certificate that was specific for the cable came in the package.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

$10 for a Monster cable is not bad.

Seems Monster has targeted a wider market. These cables are widely available at places like Walmart ($7.88). It is a bare bones 30 AWG cable. I checked Simplay Labs listing of certified cables and this one doesn't show up. Maybe it wasn't certified. Maybe it just hasn't shown up yet. In any case, a 4', it should work just fine.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Seems Monster has targeted a wider market. These cables are widely available at places like Walmart ($7.88). It is a bare bones 30 AWG cable. I checked Simplay Labs listing of certified cables and this one doesn't show up. Maybe it wasn't certified. Maybe it just hasn't shown up yet. In any case, a 4', it should work just fine.

Thanks all, I'll give Monster a call and see what they say!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Must mean their "higher priced" market is drying-up. Time to cut down on margin and increase number of sales.

As BB (and other electronics retailers) move towards mobile devices, less high-priced items will be available in retail stores.

Of course, in this case it doesn't leave much of a hole - or any hole since the lesser (much lesser) priced cables do just as good (or better in some cases).