Is my problem really the HDMI cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, newbie posting so thanks in advance for bearing with me.

I have the following simple set up:

2011 11' Macbook Air -> Monoprice Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter -> 10' 28AWG Monoprice HDMI Cable -> Epson Powerlite 8350

My problem is an intermittent flash/blink. It happens every 5-15 minutes, but has disappeared completely during some viewing sessions too. Sometimes in the flash I can make out what looks like bits of digital static (scrambles or a bar of green, like what I see when the computer and projector are first connecting). It always lasts for less than a second before continuing on normally. I don't use the hdmi for audio, so I don't know if it's cutting out as well.

I contacted monoprice to replace the TB/HDMI adapter, thinking that this was the issue. They replied that it was more likely the gauge of my 10' cable, and suggested that I get a 24AWG one to address the problem.

From what I've read around here, it seems like a 10' cable shouldn't be an issue, no matter the gauge. What's more, I'm having a hard time finding descriptions of problems caused by a bad/insufficient HDMI cable, and don't want to go through the hassle of buying a newer, more expensive cable, and waiting to test it only to find out that it's not my problem.

Thanks!

ETA: Also, this problem has recurred over two different Epson 8350s (I replaced the first one for a separate issue--a loose power prong-thingy...) so I think it's not a defect in the projector. I have also tried switching between HDMI ports on the PJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
HDMI performance depends on the cable, all the electronics involved, the bit rate, and the environment. If your monoprice cable has ferrites on it, that could be part of the problem. Otherwise I would suspect the adapter. You should not need at 24 AWG cable for a 10' run.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

It does have ferrites. Moreover, as I just now discovered, the problem gets worse (flashes happening every 30 seconds) when I run the cable the other direction. I'm not sure how the bit rate figures into it, as the flashes seem to happen regardless of whether I'm playing video or just projecting the static desktop. I'm thinking that the problem getting worse from switching the cable direction confirms that this cable's malfunctioning somehow...time to order another!

Thanks for the response!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouvement View Post

I'm thinking that the problem getting worse from switching the cable direction confirms that this cable's malfunctioning somehow...time to order another!

That or it has something to do with how the connectors mate with the connectors on the devices.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
You might also specify what video rate you are using / have tried to use...ie. 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (24/60?)... that will potentially provide further clues...maybe.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

The flashing happens in 1080p, and continues no matter what I change the refresh rate to. I will try running 720p instead and see if this has any effect.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page