Hdmi 1.3 or 1.4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought a new led HDTV and experiencing some motion blur, or lag not quite sure how to describe it. Could this possibly be fixed with hdmi 1.4 cable? Using a hdmi cable from about 4 years ago and pretty sure it's 1.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
There's only normal and highspeed cables. The numbers are the devices like 1.4 devices support 3d. What exact problems do you have

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Have found with higher speed sports scenes like golf and baseball, the ball seems to have a small trail. Playing tiger woods on ps3 is the worst. Just doesn't seem smooth when following the golf ball.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The problem isn't the HDMI cable.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The problem isn't the HDMI cable.

As Colm said, not the HDMI cable. Try your owners manual and look at the different refresh rates. Try 120Hz and 240Hz and then 60Hz. Also check your contrast and brightness controls. One of those will solve your problem.

And, of course, despite the manufacturer's advertisements you don't actually have an LED TV. You have an LCD TV with LED backlights.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Alright thanks. Samsung has there clear motion rate, does turning that off and
on change from 240hz to 120hz and so on?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdloesch View Post

We don't use Samsung but I believe that is correct. Basically what you are seeing are motion artifacts created on the display. It really has nothing to do with the input signal. It isn't unusual on an LCD TV - Google "LCD motion artifacts Samsung" (no quotes) and I'll bet you get a few hits.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Different opinions when I google that. Some people say it can be reduced, some say you can not avoid it. I will play with the settings. I have been thinking about purchasing a calibration disc also. Would this help with those settings or mostly colors? Also would you recommend a disc?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Different opinions when I google that. Some people say it can be reduced, some say you can not avoid it. I will play with the settings. I have been thinking about purchasing a calibration disc also. Would this help with those settings or mostly colors? Also would you recommend a disc?

Calibration discs will usually go through contrast, brightness and color (either needing a colorimeter or filters). Some will go deeper. Keep in mind it takes some practice to get those settings right (even though you think at first the results are perfect).

Looks at the AVSForum under your TV's model number. There is usually an "official owners" thread for each model. Usually if I hit a problem, someone else already has.

It could be that the panel pixels are slow enough that you can only reduce the motion blur. Unfortunately some panel technology is like that. The other owners would likely know if that is true with your panel.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

Motion interpolation, especially when playing games, can be a problem because of the artificial frames added to smooth out the motion. Turning it off doesn't completely eliminate that on most tv's because 120Hz and 240Hz are just multiples of 60Hz. A 120Hz set shows each 60Hz frame twice to "mimic" 120fps. Some sets just implement that better than others.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

A calibration disk will help you to properly set the basics (brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect) and is definitely recommended. It won't calibrate your set because you need meters and software for that but it will certainly improve your viewing experience. Use of a bias light is also a good idea. There are lots of disks available, WoW, DVE, Spears and Munsil, etc but a lot of people, myself included, have had good results using the free AVS HD709. There is a learning curve, and depending on what setting options are available to you on your set, you should get very good results.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page