Test if cable is high speed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a test I can perform to see if my HDMI cable is a category 2 high speed cable?

I purchased it from Monoprice a few years back and the cable has no indication of category 1 or 2.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked: 11
I think the only way to know for sure is with an oscilloscope and a test pattern generator. But if you have the equipment to playback a 1080p 3D signal that should do in a pinch.

How long is the cable? If it's 15' or less chances are it will work just fine.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
A cable that supports 1080p24 3D isn't necessarily a high speed cable. Now, if you could do 1080p60 3D, that would be a better test.

FWIW who cares if it is a high speed cable if it supports the resolutions and refresh rates you want?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

How long is the cable? If it's 15' or less chances are it will work just fine.

The cable is approximately 6' to 8' long.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

FWIW who cares if it is a high speed cable if it supports the resolutions and refresh rates you want?

I'm a newbie, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.

When looking at the specs it says that a standard cable supports 720p/1080i resolution. The high speed supports 1080p resolution. This leads me to believe that I need a high speed cable connected from my blu-ray player to my TV in order to get the full resolution.

Am I getting 1080p resolution from my blu ray player using a standard cable if everything works and I get a picture? Or is the picture resolution scaled down to 720p/1080i?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat View Post

I'm a newbie, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.

When looking at the specs it says that a standard cable supports 720p/1080i resolution. The high speed supports 1080p resolution. This leads me to believe that I need a high speed cable connected from my blu-ray player to my TV in order to get the full resolution.

Am I getting 1080p resolution from my blu ray player using a standard cable if everything works and I get a picture? Or is the picture resolution scaled down to 720p/1080i?

It's a cable. It has no smarts. The pinouts are exactly the same between the high speed and standard speed cables. So if you are getting a 1080p signal with no errors (they would be obvious if you get errors) using a standard speed cable, then you would get the exact same signal with a high speed cable.

Check this forum's archives and you'll find a reference to an HDMI Org FAQ that explains this in more detail. I'd include a link but this device doesn't allow for easy methods of doing that.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat View Post

The source and the sink negotiate the resolution based on their abilities. They don't know anything about the cable. So, if both are capable of 1080p, you get 1080p. If you aren't getting sparkles or worse after that, the picture is as good as it gets.

A standard cable isn't necessarily limited to 1080i/720p. 1080p24 (BD) requires less that 1/4 the bandwidth required to certify a cable high speed. A standard cable may well have that much bandwidth or more, just not enough to be certified high speed.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The source and the sink negotiate the resolution based on their abilities. They don't know anything about the cable. So, if both are capable of 1080p, you get 1080p. If you aren't getting sparkles or worse after that, the picture is as good as it gets.

A standard cable isn't necessarily limited to 1080i/720p. 1080p24 (BD) requires less that 1/4 the bandwidth required to certify a cable high speed. A standard cable may well have that much bandwidth or more, just not enough to be certified high speed.

Thank you! This clears it up for me.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page