Rainbow Fish HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did a search for this but the thread was too old to reply to.
There is a website now for these cables: rainbowfishcorp.com. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this cable. Not cheap--35'=$249.00.
Seems like the usb power requirement is the biggest problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The reason that it is expensive is one, it is Fiber Optic. Two, because you are getting a Transmitter & Receiver to convert the HDMI to Fiber Optic signals. Plus you have to have a USB port available on the Receiving device, in order for this to work.

But yes, it would work great going to the next level, especially when moving lots of data across the backplane for multiple devices to receive.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Plus you have to have a USB port available on the Receiving device, in order for this to work.

You dont have to have a USB port .. the "cable" can be powered using a USB wallwart
post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 10
At this length, the only benefit you get from this cable is that it is super thin compared to normal HDMI cables.. is this going to be run in view? or why would you spend $250 when you could spend $30 or less for a regular HDMI cable?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Liked: 32
4K and the cool factor having Fiber Optics doing the work vs. Copper. I cringed at the price point also, but looked at in that as more demand happens, the price should start dropping.

I would not doubt that in five years, you will start seeing this type of cable become more easier accessible, especially with newer technologies that follow Moore's Law.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone actually have experience with this cable and care to share their thoughts?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Trying to decide betwwen an HDBase-T Atlona Baluns AT-HD4-V110SR with a 50' cat 6 shielded solid core cable or run the Rainbow Fish 55' professional series optical hdmi. Which option do you guys think will have the least glitches ie drop outs...handshake problems and which will be more future proof (4k 3D at 60hz)? Anyone tried either of these options yet?
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Trying to decide betwwen an HDBase-T Atlona Baluns AT-HD4-V110SR with a 50' cat 6 shielded solid core cable or run the Rainbow Fish 55' professional series optical hdmi. Which option do you guys think will have the least glitches ie drop outs...handshake problems and which will be more future proof (4k 3D at 60hz)? Anyone tried either of these options yet?

I think at this point the only way to find out what the two options will allow is to contact the manufacturer. Unfortunately the Atlona converters simply say that they support 1.4, which doesn't really mean anything. They could support 3D but not support 4K, but still claim 1.4 support since almost everything in 1.4/1.4a is optional.

I suspect if you stay within the specified lengths, neither option should generate any drop-outs. Handshake issues will depend upon the sources and sinks used. Basically you're going to need to find someone who has used both of these to really find out and even then only the manufacturer can really tell you what is supported and what isn't.

From a future-proof standpoint, the odds are good that if it isn't in the 1.4a spec (or previous specs) then it won't be supported.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a few questions that I asked customer support at RainbowFish. It's been a week and I'm still waiting for a reply. Seems like bad customer support from the getgo.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have spoken with the Atlona techs in great detail and they say it has enough bandwidth to support up to 4k 3d at 60 hz at distances over 300 feet. There web site also states these specs. However the sticky thread here at avs discussing hdmi over cat 5/6 has me a bit concerned. In all fairness the Atlona is newer technology than the ones discussed in the sticky so it might be very good and trouble free. It also seems that no one on avs has tried the Rainbow Fish optical hdmi.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I have spoken with the Atlona techs in great detail and they say it has enough bandwidth to support up to 4k 3d at 60 hz at distances over 300 feet. There web site also states these specs. However the sticky thread here at avs discussing hdmi over cat 5/6 has me a bit concerned. In all fairness the Atlona is newer technology than the ones discussed in the sticky so it might be very good and trouble free. It also seems that no one on avs has tried the Rainbow Fish optical hdmi.

If this was a passive cable I'd say that the bandwidth spec by itself would be enough. However since you are converting medium with the Atlona,there is also the question of whether the 4K format would be recognized by the converters? For instance when 3D came out some converters couldn't handle it because the audio portion of the 3D stream was in a different location than its non-3D counterpart. So, I have to wonder how any present day converter could say they would handle 4k 3D at 60Hz when not a single source can currently output 4K 3D at 60Hz.

I'd be impressed if someone said they had tested 4K since there are no 4K sources, just upconverters and a projector. Obviously test suites are available for 4K, but I don't think that is true for 4K 3D / 60Hz. So, expecting to find something that can handle that may be just too far ahead on the bleeding edge, right now.

Of course if HDMI were an analog medium, this would be simple as well. But, HDMI is a digital medium with handshaking and encryption, which means bits have to line-up in a way that meets the spec and each element (including converters/repeaters) must be proved to be trustworthy and "understand" the format it is passing.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Atlona V110 is based on HDBaseT technology. it carries HDMI (cat 6 is needed for 3D at the full 330 feet) and 2 way IR 2 way serial and 100 megabit ethernet over the single wire.

signal at output is EXACTLY like what went in.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 AM

I think you may have missed my point. While for 1080p/24 the signal may be EXACTLY the same going out as it was coming in, that is no guarantee that this would be true for 4K with 3D at 60Hz. These devices are active digital converters and need to "know" what is in the digital bit stream to work. No one can guarantee that some unapproved future format will still work. That is what the question was about.

The comment about 1080p/3D is interesting since 1080p/24 3D uses less bandwidth than 1080p/60. Unless 1080p/60 also needs Cat 6, then that implies some type of conversion issue as well, which was my point.

So while 1080p/24 3D works today, that is no guarantee that 4K/60 3D will work tomorrow (if it were to ever become available).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page