Handshake issue when adjusting the volume? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Recently, we have re-arranged the seating and replaced the 7.1 speakers in the family room. I was having issues getting the OSD to displayto run Ausessey so I reset ny Denon AVR-889 to no avail but was able to run Audessey anyhow.

After the reset, I am having issues with keeping the HDMI handshake when adjusting the volume using the AVR. We have at&t Uverse via a Motorolla 1225 STB/DVR which is connected to the HDP input on the AVR and a Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-ray player connected to the DVD input on my AVR. My HTPC works fine in limited testing.

I should add that I am using monoprice PID 3990 High Speed HDMI 25' cable for a 20 foot run from the AVR to the HDTV and using 3' High speed HDMI cables with ferrite cores(PID 3949, 4022 and 4021) to connect the various devices.

Any recommendations on resolving this issue? It isn't nice to have the video blank out for a split second while the handshake is completed every time the volume is adjusted (the audio doesn't seem to be affected?).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Recently, we have re-arranged the seating and replaced the 7.1 speakers in the family room. I was having issues getting the OSD to displayto run Ausessey so I reset ny Denon AVR-889 to no avail but was able to run Audessey anyhow.

After the reset, I am having issues with keeping the HDMI handshake when adjusting the volume using the AVR. We have at&t Uverse via a Motorolla 1225 STB/DVR which is connected to the HDP input on the AVR and a Samsung BD-P2500 Blu-ray player connected to the DVD input on my AVR. My HTPC works fine in limited testing.

I should add that I am using monoprice PID 3990 High Speed HDMI 25' cable for a 20 foot run from the AVR to the HDTV and using 3' High speed HDMI cables with ferrite cores(PID 3949, 4022 and 4021) to connect the various devices.

Any recommendations on resolving this issue? It isn't nice to have the video blank out for a split second while the handshake is completed every time the volume is adjusted (the audio doesn't seem to be affected?).

Thanks in advance.

It's not the cable. Random noise wouldn't only occur when the volume is changed. I'm assuming this is only happening with a volume change or a source input change.

I'm guessing you have some HDMI option (or AVR option) set that is causing a configuration change when you change the volume. The first thought is HDMI CEC is enabled in the AVR (or TV or components) or you have your Denon set to output to "TV" instead of "Amp" in the AVR menu.

It concerns me that you had problems with the OSD with Audyssey. Even with the OSD off, the menu with Audyssey should still appear. That would indicate that there could be an AVR problem. One other thing you can check is that the HDMI output cable isn't loose (just barely) so there is slight vibration interrupting the connection.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know I was thinking of the same thing. I haven't had time yet but I was going to check the Samsung LN40A650 to see if the "Anynet" was enabled and if it was, disable it. With the Denon, finding and setting this is a pain. I tried last night and ended up setting the AVR input to analog for the PVR which is connected via HDMI, of course. I couldn't get the dang thing set back to digital so I reset it again so now I need to run Audessey again.

I just printed out batpig's Denon to English Dictionary so I don't have to keep going to my computer in the office to refer to it. The thing that has me perplexed here is the HTPC is not having an issue at all and they are usually the one item in the system that have the most HDMI handshake issues.

I'll be looking into this tonight and report back but if there's any other comments from anybody that would be nice too.

EDIT: It concerns me too that the OSD isn't working properly but the Audessey (and all other) menu items I need were and still are showing on the AVR display. It is just a PITA to use that little display to do these set up things. I just might have to get a new receiver but I really don't need one if I can get this HDMI issue resolved as I don't use the OSD that often and really don't need it. With the HTPC I don't need a network receiver as I have full internet access with the HTPC.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:

You know I was thinking of the same thing. I haven't had time yet but I was going to check the Samsung LN40A650 to see if the "Anynet" was enabled and if it was, disable it. With the Denon, finding and setting this is a pain. I tried last night and ended up setting the AVR input to analog for the PVR which is connected via HDMI, of course. I couldn't get the dang thing set back to digital so I reset it again so now I need to run Audessey again.

I just printed out batpig's Denon to English Dictionary so I don't have to keep going to my computer in the office to refer to it. The thing that has me perplexed here is the HTPC is not having an issue at all and they are usually the one item in the system that have the most HDMI handshake issues.

I'll be looking into this tonight and report back but if there's any other comments from anybody that would be nice too.

EDIT: It concerns me too that the OSD isn't working properly but the Audessey (and all other) menu items I need were and still are showing on the AVR display. It is just a PITA to use that little display to do these set up things. I just might have to get a new receiver but I really don't need one if I can get this HDMI issue resolved as I don't use the OSD that often and really don't need it. With the HTPC I don't need a network receiver as I have full internet access with the HTPC.

Please let us know how things turn out. My point about the OSD display is that it might be related to your screen blanking issue. If the HDMI/AVR settings do not fix the problem, then a full factory reset might be in order, rather than just a reset of the menu items. I believe you'll find that in your owners manual towards the back.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Please let us know how things turn out. My point about the OSD display is that it might be related to your screen blanking issue. If the HDMI/AVR settings do not fix the problem, then a full factory reset might be in order, rather than just a reset of the menu items. I believe you'll find that in your owners manual towards the back.

I've done the microprocessor reset a couple times now. Is there yet another reset?

And, as you may or maynot know, the Denon manual is terrible so I could just not be hitting the right button (combination) for the OSD to show itself. The OSD will not overlay HDMI inputs; it only shows on analog inputs, but that isn't happening with the VCR or ASD-3N iPod dock either.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I changed the Anynet+ (Samsungs CEC control) to off and turned the AVR Control both On and Off and the issue persists.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM

The next thing I would try to do is to eliminate the AVR as the problem. Is there a way that you can use a separate set of cables (still don't think that is the problem) and another TV with those sources to see if the problem still occurs? Also does the problem occur if only one source is attached? Does the same thing happen with the component video output?

Here's one thought - the OSD is trying to draw graphics when you change volume and is having difficulties causing the whole screen to black out. The 3-digit Denons don't draw OSD on HDMI? That would ruin that theory. Obviously from what I asked above, I'm not convinced this is an HDMI handshake issue, yet.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is correct, my 889 doesn't show OSD on HDMI input. I had a component connected the other day but that was before I had this issue. I'll check that tonight, maybe.

This weekend I'm going to try:

1. Connect the AVR to the HDTV with a different cable.
2. Connect both the PVR/STB and BRP directly to the HDTV.
3. Connect the AVR to a different HDTV using the same cable.
4. Try different cables for the sources (already did this for the PVR/STB with to no avail).
5. Anything else i should try?

The results of these things should:

1. Eliminate/confirm cable as the issue.
2. Eliminate/confirm AVR as the issue.
3. Eliminate/confirm the HDTV as the issue.
4. Eliminate/confirm source cables as the issue.
5. Drive me insane.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

That is correct, my 889 doesn't show OSD on HDMI input. I had a component connected the other day but that was before I had this issue. I'll check that tonight, maybe.

This weekend I'm going to try:

1. Connect the AVR to the HDTV with a different cable.
2. Connect both the PVR/STB and BRP directly to the HDTV.
3. Connect the AVR to a different HDTV using the same cable.
4. Try different cables for the sources (already did this for the PVR/STB with to no avail).
5. Anything else i should try?

The results of these things should:

1. Eliminate/confirm cable as the issue.
2. Eliminate/confirm AVR as the issue.
3. Eliminate/confirm the HDTV as the issue.
4. Eliminate/confirm source cables as the issue.
5. Drive me insane.

Other than component video, I think you have a good plan. If it does happen on component as well, then the AVR quickly becomes the suspect.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure it is the HDMI board as only HDMI 3 and 4 are working. The other 2 aren't.

Where can I procure an HDMI board for it?

post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I am pretty sure it is the HDMI board as only HDMI 3 and 4 are working. The other 2 aren't.

Where can I procure an HDMI board for it?

It is tough to get Denon parts except through their authorized repair centers. Check the Denon USA website and check under support.

I'm not sure if there is an HDMI board in the Denon designs. It might be part of the main board.

Andy
post #12 of 12 Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The board where the HDMI's plug in is apparenlly called the Digital Board, Part No. 80-310004 and I can have one for a cool $3XX. There's no reason to pay labor to have a board plugged in as I've been building computers for 20 years and it really isn't anything different than a computer.

Since I have two working HDMI ports right now, I'm going to nurse it along for a while and save up for a new receiver.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page