1 Input/2 Output HDMI Switch?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need a 1 input and 2 output HDMI switch for my Home Theater room that will work with Directv. I want to watch my movies on my projector and regular programming on my 40". I don't want to go the AVR switching route.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I need a 1 input and 2 output HDMI switch for my Home Theater room that will work with Directv. I want to watch my movies on my projector and regular programming on my 40". I don't want to go the AVR switching route.

Just to make sure you understand, in this configuration you will likely only get stereo audio output. That said, Monoprice is the cheapest for a reliable distribution amp.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
@alk3997 -
Just to clarify: Even if the HDMI input to the Monoprice product carries 5.1 audio, the HDMI outputs will carry only 2-channel stereo audio?

A newbie thanks you in advance. . .
post #5 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaxter View Post

@alk3997 -
Just to clarify: Even if the HDMI input to the Monoprice product carries 5.1 audio, the HDMI outputs will carry only 2-channel stereo audio?

A newbie thanks you in advance. . .

Sort of. The source device is told by the destination (the sink - which is the AVR and TV in this case) what capabilities the sinks have. The source then adjusts its output the match the capabilities of both sinks. So, the source will only *send* 2-channel audio out if a single 2-channel sink (a TV, for instance) is included as one of the outputs.

So it isn't the outputs that change to 2-channel, but instead it is the input that becomes 2-channel. This is the lowest common denominator principal and is part of the EDID communications you'll hear about. Remember HDMI only includes a single audio stream at any time.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Sort of. The source device is told by the destination (the sink - which is the AVR and TV in this case) what capabilities the sinks have. The source then adjusts its output the match the capabilities of both sinks. So, the source will only *send* 2-channel audio out if a single 2-channel sink (a TV, for instance) is included as one of the outputs.

So it isn't the outputs that change to 2-channel, but instead it is the input that becomes 2-channel. This is the lowest common denominator principal and is part of the EDID communications you'll hear about. Remember HDMI only includes a single audio stream at any time.

Thanks, Andy. That helps.
I'm trying to split the hdmi output from my TIVO to go both to an hdmi input on the TV and to an hdmi input on my receiver.
If the tv can process 5.1 all will be well.
If it can't, then the receiver will be getting 2-channel stereo. In that case I think I can run an optical audio cable from the TIVO to the receiver and assign it to the input to which the TIVO is attached.
Does this sound ok?
post #7 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Andy. That helps.
I'm trying to split the hdmi output from my TIVO to go both to an hdmi input on the TV and to an hdmi input on my receiver.
If the tv can process 5.1 all will be well.
If it can't, then the receiver will be getting 2-channel stereo. In that case I think I can run an optical audio cable from the TIVO to the receiver and assign it to the input to which the TIVO is attached.
Does this sound ok?

Yes, that's the correct way of handling this.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM

The Monoprice line has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum - I'm thinking of their model "8204 1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support".
post #9 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

The Monoprice line has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum - I'm thinking of their model "8204 1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support".

That should be fine for your application with your plan to use a S/PDIF cable as well for digital audio.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM

www(dot)lenkeng(dot)biz/Html/Product/1x2-hdmi-splitter.html

another choice for you ,you can also find perfect product from this manufacturer
post #11 of 15 Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM

I found some splitters here as well

-Carter.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've tried a lot of different switches and splitters and finally found one that works like a charm. I'ts a bi-directional HDMI switch from Sewell with HDCP pass through and it's $24.99 shipping was $2 and change. I'm going to order a couple more.

http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-with-HDCP-Passthrough.asp
post #13 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So this may be a question for individual TV vendors but I'll give it a shot. If an HDTV out of the box just does stereo then an HDMI splitter would negotiate down to two channel. What if later you used the TV's TOSLink out to drive a 5.1 soundbar system, is the HDMI circuit/handshake now aware that the TV is 5.1 capable? Will future handshakes with this device be at 5.1? (assuming the other splitter device is also 5.1).
post #14 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post

So this may be a question for individual TV vendors but I'll give it a shot. If an HDTV out of the box just does stereo then an HDMI splitter would negotiate down to two channel. What if later you used the TV's TOSLink out to drive a 5.1 soundbar system, is the HDMI circuit/handshake now aware that the TV is 5.1 capable? Will future handshakes with this device be at 5.1? (assuming the other splitter device is also 5.1).

If I understand soundbars correctly, if the soundbar has an HDMI input, the HDMI signal is usually sent to the soundbar first and then to the TV (using the soundbar's HDMI output). It allows the soundbar to alter the EDID and pass along the TV video information.

For non-HDMI soundbars, it will depend upon whether the TV sends 5.1-channel output with the Toslink. Many were limited to sending 2-channel for HDMI inputs. If you used a direct cable or antenna TV station then 5.1-channel could be sent out the Toslink connector. Again, it's a situation where each specific TV model may be different.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Another recommendation for the Monoprice #8204.. 1 in 2 out splitter. Works flawlessly with my small 21" monitor and my big 52" Sony Bravia.. No problems yet, just plug in power and plug in your cables..

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page