HDMI connectivity issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a 7 year old Panasonic th50px20 TV and I had pretty much used component video to watch HD from my cable box. I used to connect my Panasonic blu ray DVD player using HDMI cable directly to my TV and it used to work alright. Recently once in a whie it started giving u73 error and so I just switched to component assuming that there was some issue with the blu ray player. I then got an apple tv 3rd gen and connected it using HDMI directly to my TV and though it downgraded to 480P it was working fine.

I then got a 1912 Denon receiver and with that the blu ray worked for a bit and then things started falling apart. Blu ray stopped working, so did cable box and even apple tv. Even when I connected any of these directly to the TV they didn't work. I won't get display at all with blu ray and cable box but with apple tv I get the native menu display and all that but videos didn't play giving an error that the HDMI/HDCP connection is not working. I finally changed the HDMI cable and tried another one (RadioShack) and I still get the same issues. Should I try a more expensive cable or is the issue with my old TV? The TV works fine with component cables and also the apple tv display shows up fine with HDMI, so was wondering if the TV is really broken or if there is some way to get this working using HDMI? I see many discussions talking about how old cables don't support 1.4 HDMI protocol but I don't understand how a new cable will address that as my TV is still old. But as I have anyway tried a new cable I am out of ideas other than assume its the TV.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I have a 7 year old Panasonic th50px20 TV and I had pretty much used component video to watch HD from my cable box. I used to connect my Panasonic blu ray DVD player using HDMI cable directly to my TV and it used to work alright. Recently once in a whie it started giving u73 error and so I just switched to component assuming that there was some issue with the blu ray player. I then got an apple tv 3rd gen and connected it using HDMI directly to my TV and though it downgraded to 480P it was working fine.

I then got a 1912 Denon receiver and with that the blu ray worked for a bit and then things started falling apart. Blu ray stopped working, so did cable box and even apple tv. Even when I connected any of these directly to the TV they didn't work. I won't get display at all with blu ray and cable box but with apple tv I get the native menu display and all that but videos didn't play giving an error that the HDMI/HDCP connection is not working. I finally changed the HDMI cable and tried another one (RadioShack) and I still get the same issues. Should I try a more expensive cable or is the issue with my old TV? The TV works fine with component cables and also the apple tv display shows up fine with HDMI, so was wondering if the TV is really broken or if there is some way to get this working using HDMI? I see many discussions talking about how old cables don't support 1.4 HDMI protocol but I don't understand how a new cable will address that as my TV is still old. But as I have anyway tried a new cable I am out of ideas other than assume its the TV.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Try a full reboot/reset of the TV. You'll have to check the owners manual for steps to do a full reboot - it isn't just unplugging and replugging the TV, although you might try the unplug/replug first (with everything "off" of course).

A more expensive cable will likely not help. How long are these cables? You would want a "High Speed" cable to guarantee connectivity. However, even Standard Speed cables will work at 720p/1080i (and likely 1080p). There are only two types of HDMI cables - High Speed and Standard Speed.

Keep your toubleshooting simple. If the cable box direct to TV is not working then troubleshoot just that connection first. Once you get that working then add the AVR back into the mix. When you get that working, then add the Apple TV and the Blu-Ray player.

If the reboot of the TV doesn't work then try rebooting the cable box. Also try the cable box directly to the TV with the shortest HDMI cable that you have. It sounds like you have multiple cables, so for troubleshooting, there would be no need to purchase more cables.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I checked the manual for my TV, couldn't find anything for a reset/reboot. I tried the unplug wait and plug back in and it didn't resolve the issue. The cable I used does say high speed on it and its a 6 foot cable. Is there any "standard" way(s) of reset/reboot (other than just unplugging) the TV?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I checked the manual for my TV, couldn't find anything for a reset/reboot. I tried the unplug wait and plug back in and it didn't resolve the issue. The cable I used does say high speed on it and its a 6 foot cable. Is there any "standard" way(s) of reset/reboot (other than just unplugging) the TV?

I (quickly) read through the TV's owners manual. Looking at the HDMI input (around page 73), the only allowable HDMI inputs are 480i, 480p and 1080i. Now HDMI *should* only allow you to send these formats out, but you might double-check that your source devices aren't trying to send 1080p or 720p.

Also make sure your Denon is not set to upscale everything to 1080p.

I also did not find a reset, so you might try giving Panasonic a call or check the AVSForum for the "official" Panasonic th50px20 thread.

I still don't think you have a cable issue or an HDMI chipset issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

The HDMI port on my TV has finally died completely! Now I don't get any signal, the screen is blank, when I connect anything to the HDMI cable. The ports internal connection must be coming loose or something, if I jiggle it around on the TV side I see some flicker and white noise but that's about it! Looks like its the end of the road for HDMI for me for now However, on the bright side, the newer 65 inch Panasonic plasmas look very enticing, but I am going to wait till thanks giving for deals on those.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page