Best powered HDMI switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently using a couple of cheap line powered HDMI mini switches purchased from Monoprice and Amazon (same switch, just re-braned) in our conference rooms. I won't spam with links, but it's monoprice product 8149.
These mini switches work OK going straight into the TV, but once there is another device in the path they start flaking out.

With a VGA -> HDMI adapter (Sewell Hammerhead SW-29831) the signal is great going directly to the TV (even at 1080p over a 100' Digital RapidRun cable), but once the switch is involved the TV see's nothing.

When using straight HDMI output on a laptop to the switch, which is then run into a Lifesize video codec, again the signal is great over the same 100' RapidRun cable, but once the switch is used the signal becomes jerky and unstable with a lot of digital artifacts.

I basically need 2 higher quality powered switches w/ 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output. More inputs/outputs is fine but not necessary, I just need something that is rock solid stable and compatible with an excellent signal. Price is not a concern, but size is. It can't be a huge rack mountable switch as they're going to be under conference tables, but up to a foot or so wide & deep is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Line powered switches don't have a good track record. Try a switch that has a separate power supply.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiani View Post

I'm currently using a couple of cheap line powered HDMI mini switches purchased from Monoprice and Amazon (same switch, just re-braned) in our conference rooms. I won't spam with links, but it's monoprice product 8149.
These mini switches work OK going straight into the TV, but once there is another device in the path they start flaking out.

With a VGA -> HDMI adapter (Sewell Hammerhead SW-29831) the signal is great going directly to the TV (even at 1080p over a 100' Digital RapidRun cable), but once the switch is involved the TV see's nothing.

When using straight HDMI output on a laptop to the switch, which is then run into a Lifesize video codec, again the signal is great over the same 100' RapidRun cable, but once the switch is used the signal becomes jerky and unstable with a lot of digital artifacts.

I basically need 2 higher quality powered switches w/ 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output. More inputs/outputs is fine but not necessary, I just need something that is rock solid stable and compatible with an excellent signal. Price is not a concern, but size is. It can't be a huge rack mountable switch as they're going to be under conference tables, but up to a foot or so wide & deep is fine.

Check the Octava line. It's more than you need but the output is line EQed and that should help you. Just Google on Octava HDMI.

I thought Sewell also had a switch? Just make sure there is some type of line EQ included. Also remember that you are probably outside of the HDMI specs for beyond 1080i so you may have to do some experimenting to find a combo that works.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies.

I went with the advice that an active/powered switch should do the job as the likely cause was simply the passive nature of the current switches.

So I headed over to B&H this morning, picked up 2 different switches to test, as I can keep and use both if they both worked... and they both worked perfectly.

Originally I was tempted to splurge on a couple of the $200+ models just to 'git-er-done' (and it's not my money ), but I put faith in the advice in this and other threads and bought a couple at $40 and $50 which both work well. One auto switches, which is very useful, and the cheaper one requires a quick press of the selector.

Again, won't spam any links here, but if you're in the same situation as me and want a solid HDMI switch at a good price, these are the two I picked up that work for me.

Eversun Technologies HDMI-4I 4 x 1 HDMI Switcher - $39.00
Kanex HDMI 5x1 HDTV Digital Switcher - $49.50

They both work well, both have remotes, both have buttons to switch inputs, but there are couple of things to keep in mind between them...
  • The cheaper Eversun model does not autoswitch to an input upon receiving a signal from that input.
  • The Kanex has a blinding bright blue 'power/on' LED on the front. Not a problem for me as the unit is going under a table, but I would not have this next to a TV without some black electrical tape over that LED. It was painfully bright when I accidentally powered the unit up a foot from my face w/ the LED facing me.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World