Liked: 13
I have the following components:

DirecTV receiver
PS 3
Xbox 360
Mac Mini / Pegasus Storage
AppleTV
Panasonic Plasma

I want to be able to only have one hdmi cable to my Plasma.

I am guessing I would need a HDMI switch? Any recommendations? Are the more expensive better? Can the switch automatically switch components? Any advice or suggestion would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I have the following components:

DirecTV receiver
PS 3
Xbox 360
Mac Mini / Pegasus Storage
AppleTV
Panasonic Plasma

I want to be able to only have one hdmi cable to my Plasma.

I am guessing I would need a HDMI switch? Any recommendations? Are the more expensive better? Can the switch automatically switch components? Any advice or suggestion would be great

The good news is that you only need a standard switch (not a matrix switch) with one sink and the sink device (the HDTV) only needs stereo. So yes a standard 6 to 1 (6:1) switch should work. You will have an easier time trying to find a 6:1 rather than a 5:1 I suspect.

Look for the cheapest that is HDCP compliant and supports at least HDMI version 1.3. If you care about 3D, you'll need one that allows for 3D passthru. Remember these switches aren't analog switches but contain smarts to transfer the HDMI digital data correctly.

You'll see another recent append (today) that talked about an automatic switching switch. That is an option, too.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The good news is that you only need a standard switch (not a matrix switch) with one sink and the sink device (the HDTV) only needs stereo. So yes a standard 6 to 1 (6:1) switch should work. You will have an easier time trying to find a 6:1 rather than a 5:1 I suspect.

Look for the cheapest that is HDCP compliant and supports at least HDMI version 1.3. If you care about 3D, you'll need one that allows for 3D passthru. Remember these switches aren't analog switches but contain smarts to transfer the HDMI digital data correctly.

You'll see another recent append (today) that talked about an automatic switching switch. That is an option, too.

Thank you! Can you recommend a good hdmi switch?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
Hello cosmos5861,
for your application I can recommend you 8x1 HDMI Switch. It supports 1080p resolutions and 3D. It s relatively inexpensive.
AT-HD-V81
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 10
There are a ton of switches out there so it really depends how much you want to spend. Theres Atlona and Gefen which are going to be high end and will cost you an arm and a leg. http://www.atlona.com/8x1-Atlona-HDM...D-Support.html Or you can go lower end which will be around a hundred dollars. Simply search for 8x1 HDMI Switch say in Amazon will pull up a variety of things.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for all the great suggestion. Should I look for a switch with 1.4 compliant? I want one that can do 3d and maybe future proof? Also do not want to lose video quality.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Thank you for all the great suggestion. Should I look for a switch with 1.4 compliant? I want one that can do 3d and maybe future proof? Also do not want to lose video quality.

What you'll probably find are ones that are 1.3c compliant with 3D passthru. I don't know if there are any switches available yet that allow 4K passthru. Since you only have one display, the switch shouldn't be changing the EDID and therefore all you need is to make sure the capability is sent through the switch.