Convert Mac Mini HDMI to Component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new mac mini that I need to connect to an old-style Dotronix CRT TV with component input.
I'd like to be able to convert the HDMI to the 5-cable component, plugging the 3 video cables into the TV, and the two audio cables into an amp.
I see there are cheap converters out there, but would love some advice, since the reviews vary a lot.

Another possible hitch is that the HDMI signal is running over a Crestron HDMI>Cat5 connection.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 88
The conversion of HDMI to component (or pretty much any other format) is in violation of the HDMI adopter's agreement so we usually don't discuss that here. You never know who is listening/reading.

That said, there are a few converters out there. They usually get sold for a little while then magically they disappear. I truly believe that for something like the way you are using it, the converter should be allowed but no one asked me.

Make sure whatever converter you get is HDCP compliant and also look for actual user reviews. There were some early ones (probably long gone) that had geometry issues with the component video picture.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, I don't know what agreement I signed up for when I bought the Mac Mini with HDMI output, but I think this is absolutely fair use. All I'm trying to do is get the Mac Mini to connect to the analog CRT TV. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep in mind the sensitivity around the subject. This probably explains why the guy at Best Buy had never heard of such a product.

I'll shop around. but if you know of a product that could work, could you send it to me?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechokeflavik View Post

Thanks, I don't know what agreement I signed up for when I bought the Mac Mini with HDMI output, but I think this is absolutely fair use. All I'm trying to do is get the Mac Mini to connect to the analog CRT TV. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep in mind the sensitivity around the subject. This probably explains why the guy at Best Buy had never heard of such a product.

I'll shop around. but if you know of a product that could work, could you send it to me?

It actually isn't an agreement you signed but one the manufacturer signs when they produce a product with an HDMI interface.

The easiest way to find some hints of what is currently available would be to search the AVSForum - I've seen this discussed in othe sections of the AVSForum.