HDMI Splitter outputting 2.0 only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am using a HDMI splitter ( non matrix ) 4x2. Sources going into it are Apple Tv,
HD Sat, and Bluray. From the splitter one output goes to Pana Plasma and the other output goes into an Anthem MRX300 that in turn feeds an Epson 6010 via HDMI. All cables 1.4 compliant. Can only get 2.0 PCM on the Anthem. If I hook sources directly into Anthem, I get desired bitstream DD etc. If I reboot splitter and just hook up sources with no display device, then only one and then both, problem remains the same. It will not output bitstream. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Sounds like the TV is capable of 2.0 only and splitter is working exactly as it should. You will get the highest level of sound all sink devices are capable of. IOW you won't get 2.0 to the TV and something else to the receiver.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok but if thats true then when I just hook it up to the AVR that in turn outputs the HDMI to the projector that same thing happens. Also if I bypass the AVR and just run one of the outputs to the projector its the same 2.0. Eliminating the display devices and the AVR does not fix the problem. However, if I run the sources directly into the AVR I get a bitstream so all devices are configured properly. I understand the EDID mechanics but if one of the devices is causing the dropdown to 2.0 then by eliminating it, the switcher should show it is receiving a bitstream and pass it. No?
post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you would think so... BUT there are things in the universe that keep things as they were before... :-) just as some computers (and routers and such) need to be restarted to cause change so does the hdmi system and it has to be done in a "well defined" fashion. Normally, that is going from the sink (power up first) and then going towards the source. Too bad they don't have a "simple flush command" to cause a "well defined" result. I am sure others will expand on the required technique but you are likely always going to have some problems using a splitter with "not equally capable sources".
post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Liked: 88
...also many receivers have options to send sound that is compatible for the AVR *or* send sound that is compatible for the HDTV. On Denon higher end, the option is "Amp" or "TV" under the HDMI setup menu. I am unsure what it would be called for Anthem, if it has the option.

Just keep in mind through all this that your HDMI cable can only have one audio stream at any time. So, it will either work for the 2.0 TV or the 5.1/7.1 AVR. Unless you send 2.0, it can never work for both.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
With HDMI it's always 'best practice' to power Off (not to Standby) all connected devices any time you are making a physical change in the connectivity.

In theory you'r kit should be able to signal and reconfigure Source Video & Audio to suit the active Sync - in practice it mostly never works correctly!

Does your Switch/Da have any form of EDID Management or option to update its Firmware?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys
Budwich: Powering off all components and rebooting does not change the problem. Joe: there is a edid option on the unit labelled tv and std with std capable of only 2.0, however toggling between them make no difference
alk3997: Will check the Anthem for the option you suggest but don't remember there being one.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

This is the switching unit in question and here is what is says about edid
http://www.cypress.com.tw/english/display.asp?id=591

EDID Selection
The EDID control button selects between using the EDID from the display attached to Output 1/TV or using the onboard EDID/STD (the Green LED will illuminate accordingly). When the EDID button is pressed for longer then 3 seconds, the RED LED will illuminate to indicate that the EDID is already locked to STD or TV EDID as you selected accordingly. When EDID is set on STD audio will support PCM 2CH, video modes supported are listed in the table above.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, screwy Chinese design with lousy manual. From the manual, it seems you have two options for audio, either 2 channel (STD LED lit), or whatever is supported by the device plugged into Output 1/TV (TV LED lit). It appears that you have to press the EDID button for 3 seconds to record the EDID from whatever is on Output 1/TV. Your AVR will need to be plugged into Output 1/TV and you will have to press the EDID button to memorize its EDID. If after successfully recording the AVR's EDID you still don't get better than 2 channel audio, then it seems to me that the problem is at the AVR and it is passing through the attached projector's audio capabilities instead of presenting its own.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks Colm. Will give it a try as soon as new projector arrives. New Epson 6010 had big dust blobs so replacement should be here Thursday. Til then I can't try you suggestion but will when it arrives. Question though, is there a way to change the audio capability of a projector when it has no audio? And are you saying the switcher memorized both the edid of the display device and the AVR?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcountry View Post

...is there a way to change the audio capability of a projector when it has no audio?

Not short of inserting some active electronics. Some projectors have limited audio capabilites. Others like yours have none. I would expect it to report that. The AVR it is attached to should just report its own capabilities back to the splitter/switch.
Quote:
And are you saying the switcher memorized both the edid of the display device and the AVR?

No, from what I understand from the manual, it memorizes the EDID of whatever is on Output 1/TV. That is why the AVR has to be on that output. Just to clarify, it seems that this splitter/switch does not compare the EDIDs of the two sinks attached to it and select the highest common audio format like most splitters. It seems to have just two options: 2 channel, or whatever is supported by the device on Output 1/TV once it is memorized.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescastle View Post

The only reason you could be having issues is HDCP...

HDCP has nothing to do with OP's problem.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by joescastle View Post

The only reason you could be having issues is HDCP or EDID. I have used HDMI Splitter and HDMI matrix products in the past. I always go with high end devices that support everything. I would recommend checking with the supplier of the unit as well. Also, if you have any needs in the future I would recommend checking out KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Splitter and HDMI matrix solutions.

Had the OP's problem been HDCP, they would have received no audio, not just 2.0 sound instead of 5.1. HDCP is designed to prevent unauthorized transmissions, not change unauthorized transmissions. If the OP was getting no signal, then we also could have included bad cable, incompatible systems and a few other items as possible causes.

So, this is an EDID problem and the OP has all of the tools needed to fix their problem, they just need to use the correct output port and follow their owner's manual (or at least Colm's explanation of their poorly written owner's manual).

I've seen some of the more expensive matrix switchers not include EDID spoofing while some of the more medium priced ones include it. Of course the HDMI Detective is less then $100 on Amazon last time I checked, which makes it one of the least expensive ways of "tricking" the EDID.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

New projector arrived and have tried everything but unit switcher will not
change from PCM to bitstream. Time to return it - thanks for your ideas
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page