Long HDMI Cable or HDMI-To-Cat5/6 Multiple Times? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I need to get an HDMI signal to my network closet and then split it from there throughout the house. Do you suggest an HDMI-to-Cat6 adapter (sender and receiver) just to do this task and then running through another adapter via accessing an HDMI-to-Cat5/6 1X8 unit (sender to 8 receivers). Should I save myself allot of potential trouble and just bang my head multiple times in fighting with drywall and pulling a 40 foot HDMI cable through narrow passages? Would there really be any difference in the long run?

The problem is that the unit where the originating signal is has been changed (thanks to the technology challenges of my wife). Otherwise, I would have planned accordingly in a recent home upgrade of more Cat6 cabling than NASA could use!

Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal. (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 10
Bump
post #3 of 3 Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereksd View Post

Bump

I suspect the reason the first append wasn't answered was 1) there wasn't a lot of information given and 2) the installation is fairly complex and possibly 3) we were busy with our real work (which is not AVSForum).

That said, 40 feet of Cat 6 is certainly reasonable as a way to send HDMI. 40 feet x 8 may be reasonable depending upon the rest of the layout. Sending to 8 receivers means that when one receiver changes HDMI configurations, all of the receivers will have to go through handshaking again and mute their sound and picture. When I start-up one of our TVs, the projector which is on the same AVR will temporarily lose picture because of handshaking inside the AVR. It only takes about 1-2 seconds but it's annoying at the same time.

The only other cheaper choice is to use high gauge standard speed HDMI cable and take a chance that high speed signals will work with it. There are no certified high speed HDMI cables greater than just over 25 feet, so to stay with an HDMI cable means that you are using standard speed.

Another choice that is just emerging is Redmere active HDMI cables. One unknown with those cables is whether they can handle future HDMI features.

BTW, we do use a lot of cat 6 at my NASA facility, but not too much inside of spacecraft.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page