HDMI issue: TV, receiver, & components. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all! I hate starting new threads but I searched all around and then I posted this in a thread, but I think it was too old to get noticed. As always, any assistance I can get is massively appreciated.
And sorry if this has been answered by so many people, so many times before.

Here's a list of my hardware:
- TV - Toshiba DLP 46HMX85 (rear projection, LCD)
- HDDVD - Toshiba HDA3KC
- Bluray - Samsung BD-5100/zc
- XBox 360 Elite (2008-09-01)
- receiver - Sony STR-DN1020
- Sat box - Motorola DSR 505HD (Telus/Bell)

I've had the TV since December when a friend was discarding it for a blown lamp. Replaced the lamp but it seems the ballast is going (does the coded light blink, tries to start up fails, tries again etc.) Knowing it's on the way out I plan on upgrading it soon.

I had the HDDVD player going through HDMI input on back on TV with no issues, and the XBox was component cables. Audio all went through my old Pioneer receiver.

This Christmas my wife bought me a Blu-ray player. Deciding to go HDMI all the way because I had too many machines I bought the Sony receiver. I hooked everything through the receiver with Rocketfish HDMI cables and it all worked great.

So, XBox, satellite box, HDDVD & Blu-ray all HDMI into receiver with one HDMI out to TV.
Unfortunately my Sony had an overheating issue and fried two weeks ago. I sent it back to Sony and they sent me a new system.

I hooked all my cables up the way I had them before, and now my problem begins.

NO HDMI from Blu-ray, HDDVD or satellite. But XBox is still working. This could have all been explained with the 'handshaking' reasoning IF they didn't work before. I'm sure that's the reason now, but like I said, why did it work before?

I'm hoping to buy the Toshiba 55" 120Hz 1080p HD LED (55SL412U) once my TV finally decides it's not going to power on at all, and I'm hoping that that may fix the 'handshaking' issue.

So I guess my questions are these:
- Does this seem like the standard 'handshaking' issue? The XBox works because it's older, like the TV, but the other machines are too new versions of HDMI?
- Why would it work before and not now?
- Does it seem reasonable to think that a new TV will fix the issue, and it most likely isn't related to any other issue.

NOTE: I have tried to connect the Blu-ray directly to the TV, and the same issue persists, which is why I believe it's the TV's HDMI connectivity. But again, did I just get lucky before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShilohG View Post

Hi all! I hate starting new threads but I searched all around and then I posted this in a thread, but I think it was too old to get noticed. As always, any assistance I can get is massively appreciated.
And sorry if this has been answered by so many people, so many times before.

- HDDVD - Toshiba HDA3KC

I've had the TV since December when a friend was discarding it for a blown lamp. Replaced the lamp but it seems the ballast is going (does the coded light blink, tries to start up fails, tries again etc.) Knowing it's on the way out I plan on upgrading it soon.

I had the HDDVD player going through HDMI input on back on TV with no issues, and the XBox was component cables. Audio all went through my old Pioneer receiver.

This Christmas my wife bought me a Blu-ray player. Deciding to go HDMI all the way because I had too many machines I bought the Sony receiver. I hooked everything through the receiver with Rocketfish HDMI cables and it all worked great.

So, XBox, satellite box, HDDVD & Blu-ray all HDMI into receiver with one HDMI out to TV.
Unfortunately my Sony had an overheating issue and fried two weeks ago. I sent it back to Sony and they sent me a new system.

I hooked all my cables up the way I had them before, and now my problem begins.

NO HDMI from Blu-ray, HDDVD or satellite. But XBox is still working. This could have all been explained with the 'handshaking' reasoning IF they didn't work before. I'm sure that's the reason now, but like I said, why did it work before?

I'm hoping to buy the Toshiba 55" 120Hz 1080p HD LED (55SL412U) once my TV finally decides it's not going to power on at all, and I'm hoping that that may fix the 'handshaking' issue.

So I guess my questions are these:
- Does this seem like the standard 'handshaking' issue? The XBox works because it's older, like the TV, but the other machines are too new versions of HDMI?
- Why would it work before and not now?
- Does it seem reasonable to think that a new TV will fix the issue, and it most likely isn't related to any other issue.

NOTE: I have tried to connect the Blu-ray directly to the TV, and the same issue persists, which is why I believe it's the TV's HDMI connectivity. But again, did I just get lucky before?

My opinion is 1) no, 2) no, 3) should work as before and 4) no.

The HDMI should work exactly the same on this Sony as it did on the previous Sony. Some questions...

1) Please describe this overheating problem with the Sony. New receivers should not overheat unless there is no ventilation or something external happened. It's the possibiliy of an external influence (such as lightning) that has me curious.

2) Have you tried the XBox in the other Sony ports? Does it work? Have you tried the Blu-Ray in every Sony HDMI input port? What happens if you only have the Blu-Ray connected to the current XBox port (no other HDMI connected)?

3) Have you checked the Sony receiver to see if the video resolution setting is passthru or if it is set to a setting the Toshiba cannot handle? I believe the Sony has the capability to change the resolution of the input. Can your current Toshiba handle 1080p?

I'm thinking that the problem is either a setting in the Sony's menu (maybe), a setting in the players' menu (unlikely) or the same problem that hit your earlier receiver propagated to the other three players' HDMI ports (unlikely). I guess it can also be possible that when the original Sony "overheated" the HDMI cables were damaged (unlikely) to failure. If you buy cables again, you can get cheaper but just as good cables from many other sources other than Best Buy (Rocketfish).

Might also try going through the Sony's menu and seeing if any HDMI options are enabled (CEC, deep color, etc). Also disable deep color in the Blu-Ray player.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShilohG View Post

- HDDVD - Toshiba HDA3KC

Are you outputting 1080p?
Quote:
What happens when you feed a 1080p signal to 720p TV?

Assuming the TV can accept a 1080p signal, it will be scaled to 720p. But that caveat is important: many older 720p HDTVs--and yes, even some older 1080p models--cannot even accept 1080p signals at all, in which case you'll get a blank screen.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well, I've tried several tests and all results point it out as the problem being with my TV.

- using all HDMI cables from XBox to receiver (they all worked the same)
- using the XBox in all ports (worked in all)
- hooked Blu-Ray direct to my old Panasonic TV in my room with HDMI (worked) and then
- tried all cables (they all worked)
- hooked Blu-Ray direct to Toshiba TV with same HDMI cable (didn't work)

The only thing I haven't done (because it's going to be a bit of work to do essentially exactly what I believe it will do) is hook all HDMI cables up as I normally would and bring the TV out from my room to plug it in as I would my Toshiba (HDMI into receiver and out to TV). It's a 43" rear projection Panasonic that is connected to the stuff in my room. I would bring it out, but like I said, I am positive that it will work fine hooked up.

That said, if I do get ambitious in the next day or so (since I'm on vacation) I may just bring the TV out so I can definitely, positively 100% know for sure. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the replies and the assistance, as always. This forum is the best. smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShilohG View Post

Well, I've tried several tests and all results point it out as the problem being with my TV.
- using all HDMI cables from XBox to receiver (they all worked the same)
- using the XBox in all ports (worked in all)
- hooked Blu-Ray direct to my old Panasonic TV in my room with HDMI (worked) and then
- tried all cables (they all worked)
- hooked Blu-Ray direct to Toshiba TV with same HDMI cable (didn't work)
The only thing I haven't done (because it's going to be a bit of work to do essentially exactly what I believe it will do) is hook all HDMI cables up as I normally would and bring the TV out from my room to plug it in as I would my Toshiba (HDMI into receiver and out to TV). It's a 43" rear projection Panasonic that is connected to the stuff in my room. I would bring it out, but like I said, I am positive that it will work fine hooked up.
That said, if I do get ambitious in the next day or so (since I'm on vacation) I may just bring the TV out so I can definitely, positively 100% know for sure. I'll let you know.
Thanks for the replies and the assistance, as always. This forum is the best. smile.gif

Good job on the trouble-shooting. However, there is one item you haven't "cleared" yet. That is, why did the XBox work with this TV? Also why did all items work with the original Sony?

That the HDMI port still works with the XBox says the TV HDMI hardware is fine. That the original Sony worked says that the age of the equipment isn't a problem (if it was then the original Sony wouldn't have worked).

Try this - set your Blu-Ray player to output at 1080i or 720p. Make sure the Sony is set to not change the resolution. See if that works. It's much easier to do that test than to move your other TV around.

Good luck with the further testing.

P.S. I'll change one thing with my earlier comments. A new HDTV would be 1080p compatible and would likely fix this problem, if it is indeed caused by a 1080p compatibility issue.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page