IR Through HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've found that HDMI seems to have many annoying and useless features that screw with the picture settings, sound settings, and turning my TVs and equipment on and off. One thing it could do that would be extremely beneficial would be if it could send IR signals that are shot through the TV back to the receiver and ultimately the components connected through HDMI. Does it do this and I'm just unaware? Could this be in the future?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
HDMI doesn't have the ability to carry IR per se. It does have CEC, which allows you to control several connected CEC-enable devices with only a singe remote, say the TV's. Seems to work best when all the gear comes from one manufacturer.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I've found that HDMI seems to have many annoying and useless features that screw with the picture settings, sound settings, and turning my TVs and equipment on and off. One thing it could do that would be extremely beneficial would be if it could send IR signals that are shot through the TV back to the receiver and ultimately the components connected through HDMI. Does it do this and I'm just unaware? Could this be in the future?

I don't think you'll get much argument here about some of the annoyances of HDMI. Most of those annoyances are tied to the requirement to only send out a signal that is fully compatible with every output sink. Originally, much of HDMI is based on sending out a *secure* uncompressed signal at the maximum then-available speed rather than a user-friendly signal.

The CEC option was added in later versions of HDMI and for what it was designed-for, it is a reasonable implementation. However, it is one of those options that I suggest be disabled unless people really want their DVD player starting-up their projector or TV.

While many people agree that these are annoyances, unfortunately none of the folks on this forum are part of the HDMI Org, which mandates much of the HDMI specs. So, other than our understanding I don't think we can offer much in the way of promising any changes.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Until that future comes, you might want to consider a universal programmable remote, like one of Logitech's Harmony models.

Selden
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
+1
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There are ‘dongles’ which can allow you to run IR over an HDMI cable – they aim to use the signal path through the HDMI cable normally reserved for ARC!

They don’t always work and you have to be careful if any of the connected devices support ARC!

As others have said CEC is great when it works but just another problem when it doesn’t!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
Vanco make a system that works most of the time!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page