time to get rid of standard speed cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
i have some 28awg standard speed cables and am picking up some more cables to hook up my pc to the avr; the video on monoprice says to use the 24awg cables with switches and receivers because of signal resistance; im wondering is this true? ive noticed a quality difference(less noisy picture) between the 28 cable on my ps3 and the 24 cable on my hopefully to be soon replaced samsung bdp-1400 and was wondering if i should replace the cables(purchased in 2007 is that helps as im assuming they are standard speed) with the thicker 24awg high speed ones

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
All in your mind. These are digital cables. The 1s and 0s goes in one side and out the other. If the same signal goes in that comes out, the cable is doing its job. If not, you'll see sparkles and lines and obvious problems in your pictures because the 1s and 0s no longer "make sense" to the TV. The cable will not improve or decrease sharpness, screen refresh rates, color, tint, brightness, contrast or the price of oil.

Basically if the cables are working, you don't need to change them. If you do start to see artifacts (not changes in picture quality) then it's time to change cables. If you do change cables and you have a choice then use certified high speed cables, such as the ones you can get from monoprice. The price difference is now so small that it makes sense to use high speed when ordering new cables.

What higher gauge cables provide are longer lengths (much greater than 25') without causing bit errors, everything else being equal.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Depends on what you mean by "noisy". If you mean what is usually referred to as "sparkles", then changing the cables may help, Otherwise, what Andy said...

How long are the cables? Are you running DeepColor?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page