HDMI handshake issues? Any suggestions! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have attached my setup. Try and not make fun of my MS paint skills!

My problem: When going through my new Yamaha RX-V373, the HDMI/Receiver can't decide on a resolution or won't output both HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the 867. When I take the 373 out and go directly to the projector, it works like a charm. (All connections are HDMI)

I was in troubleshooting mode tonight, and narrowed it down to the 373. I verified both HDMI out work on the 867, Verified all HDMI cables and connections were intact, etc. (I had a spare 32" TV that I moved to each HDMI location.

I tried calling Yamaha support tonight, but couldn't get a hold of them because of closing time and call volume.

I greatly would appreciate anybody's help and can provide more information if this isn't clear!351
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
The AVR doesn't decide on resolution, the source does. Sounds like the source is having problems dealing with two repeaters (AVRs) in line. If so, it may be that nothing short of a firware update will fix the problem. Have you tried forcing the source to a fixed resolution?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 88
One thing you can try is to force one of the Yamahas to pass the full TV EDID, rather than the modifed one that the Yamahas normally produce. In the back of my mind I remember an append from 1-2 months ago in this forum that explained how to (or led you to what to look for in the directions). You might try to do that with one of the Yamahas and see if that has an effect. That would at least provide a clue as to where the problem is located.

Use the "Search this forum" function and search for "Yamaha" (no quotes).

Unfortunately, that isn't a good long term solution since I think that would likely result in stereo output for one of the Yamahas. As Colm said, the source determines the formats. It does this based on what the sink destination devices report they can handle. Since HDMI can only have one video and one audio stream at a given time, the protocol attempts to only output something that would be compatible with everything connected (even if the device is off, usually).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page