HDMI Switch suggestion needed (noob here) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Ive probably read nearly 100 threads on HDMI switches. My brain is spinning at this point, as I dont know exactly which switch to get for my setup. Here is what i have

Vizio plasma (1 HDMI)
Directv HD box (hdmi)
DVD player (hdmi)
PS3
Yamaha RX-V661 (1 hdmi output / 2 hdmi input)
Harmony 880 remote

2 Ingignia bookshelf speakers
1 bose center speaker
2 bose corner wall speakers

Basically, I need a switch that I can run my PS3, directv, dvd player, etc. through.

i was looking into this monoprice switch, but i have also heard of getting the 4x2 matrix. Which one would satisfy my needs?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

Also, what would any of you suggest how this should be setup in terms of the most efficient.

Again , im a clutz when it comes to hooking up stuff like this. I usually can figure it out, but i get frustrated sometimes. Please help me and direct me the best you can.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 88
If you are just going out to one sink (destination) device, then a simple HDMI switch should be sufficient. It's only if you want to head out to two sinks that you would need a matrix switch. The matrix switch adds some complexity depending upon the capabilities of the sinks.

4x1 switch into the AVR will give you more HDMI inputs and a single output.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks so much. I think I will go with the switch I listed...is that ok you think?

Also I'm confused as you say put the switch into the Yamaha which will give me more hdmi inputs. Why wouldn't I want to put the switch into the single hdmi output on the vizio? I'm trying to figure the number game here.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM

You can hook-up the switcher either way. I had assumed you wanted the Yamaha to handle your audio. In that case it has to go forward of the AVR. If you just want the TV to output audio, then you can hook-up either way.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

oh, i gotcha....yes, that is exactly what i wanted to do. I want the yamaha to handle the audio. So, could you diagram how I should hook all of it up....the best / effective setup if i had the 4x1 switch.

Again, sorry for being the dumbest guy ever ....just want to make sure i am doing it right

thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Let's do this backwards -

The TV accepts the HDMI output from the Yamaha. That takes care of the video.
The Yamaha accepts two HDMI inputs - one from the switcher (HDMI input 1) and one from the PS3 (HDMI input 2)
The switcher takes inputs from the other sources (1 - is the DVD player, 2 - is the DirecTV box)
Speakers get hooked into the Yamaha as always
Check the Yamaha manual for how to setup the HDMI inputs for audio properly.
Set the DirecTV box to "native" video resolution
Set the PS3 so that deep color is "off" - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401078/some-ps3-hdmi-difficulties-explained
Reprogram harmony remote so the switcher is changed as well as the Yamaha for the different inputs

You should be set.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

wow...thanks so much. That is exactly what I needed. As I thought about it more, this is what i was thinking. Very nice indeed.

Ordered the 4x1 monoprice switch and 2 more 6ft HDMI cables. Hope it all goes well.

I will report back.

thanks again