Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 370 Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just purchased 4 of these cables to replace my current cables. I can't believe how tiny these cables are.eek.gif I'm using three 3' cables connecting my Uverse dvr, Sony blu-ray player, & Apple Tv to my Denon AVR-3808Ci receiver. I then run a 15' to my Panny plasma. No problems. I love how small these things are smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 370 Old 12-14-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I switched to all Redmere cables from Mono about a year ago and I've had ZERO issues. I love how much clutter has been eliminated in my cabinet by replacing 6 old, stiff HDMI cables with these. These cables make things soooo much easier.....
osu fan likes this.
post #273 of 370 Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

I switched to all Redmere cables from Mono about a year ago and I've had ZERO issues. I love how much clutter has been eliminated in my cabinet by replacing 6 old, stiff HDMI cables with these. These cables make things soooo much easier.....

+1

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200
post #274 of 370 Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 AM

Liked: 10
One question I have is about the reliability of the chips in the cables.

I am planning to do some runs to a TV over the fireplace, and also in a finished basement, and while the redmere seems like a great solution for easier installation I am concerned about having an active chip in a permanently installed cable in the wall. (I also understand that these cables are CL2/3 rated?)

Does anyone know if things like static electricity, power surges, nearby lightning strikes, gremlins etc were considered in the design/specifications of Redmere? Has anyone had a Redmere cable fail over time?
post #275 of 370 Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 14
I know this was mentioned previously, but I was looking for a definitive answer from the group here...

I ordered a redmere cable and installed it when builidng my home. I left a foot or so on the wall end for slack. Now that I'm finally terminating everything and using wall plates for all of my connections, I wanted to know if I can use a wall plate HDMI and go from AVR--> Wall Plate --> Redmere, or if I need to just use a pass through plate and connect the RM cable DIRECTLY to my AVR. It would be a bit 'prettier' if I can use an HDMI wall plate but I have the feeling that I need to have a direct connection from the source to the RM cable.

Thanks for any input.
post #276 of 370 Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOSMonkey View Post

I am planning to do some runs to a TV over the fireplace, and also in a finished basement, and while the redmere seems like a great solution for easier installation I am concerned about having an active chip in a permanently installed cable in the wall. (I also understand that these cables are CL2/3 rated?)

Does anyone know if things like static electricity, power surges, nearby lightning strikes, gremlins etc were considered in the design/specifications of Redmere? Has anyone had a Redmere cable fail over time?

What ever you do, make sure you use conduit that is wide enough to accommodate the width of the cable end, and install a pull string as well. Cables can and do fail over time, and specs change as well. So, to "future proof" your installation and to make repairs/replacements easier, use conduit. The Redmere cables are an "electronic" device in that they do have a chipset in the sink end so they may be more subject to the issues you asked about but I haven't heard of them failing yet. However, they are still relatively new in that more and more people are using them now so we'll see. I use Redmere cables (not in-wall installed) and they have been perfect, but my HTS is connected to an APC UPS system so any transient power surges etc are taken care of. We don't live in an area of lightening strikes like the mid-West or East Coast so I can't speak to that. As to gremlins, we all have them but they haven't bothered my setup, yet wink.gif
post #277 of 370 Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

I know this was mentioned previously, but I was looking for a definitive answer from the group here...

I ordered a redmere cable and installed it when builidng my home. I left a foot or so on the wall end for slack. Now that I'm finally terminating everything and using wall plates for all of my connections, I wanted to know if I can use a wall plate HDMI and go from AVR--> Wall Plate --> Redmere, or if I need to just use a pass through plate and connect the RM cable DIRECTLY to my AVR. It would be a bit 'prettier' if I can use an HDMI wall plate but I have the feeling that I need to have a direct connection from the source to the RM cable.

Thanks for any input.

I believe that you need to connect the Redmere cable directly to the sink end, because that's where it draws its power from.
post #278 of 370 Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOSMonkey View Post

I would never use or recommend a Redmere cable in any installation that is 'difficult'. That is, needs drywall work done. Read the reviews at Monoprice. People are seeing the cables fail all the time. Not everyone, but some for sure, and they are active electronics which means that when it fails, you're done.

I would still run 2-3 pieces of Cat5/6 cabling to help protect against future wiring needs and to use as a backup in case the Redmere cable ever fails.

I have stuck with short run Redmere cables, that I have good access to after the fact. For my 1', 3', and 6' cable runs I use the Parts Express Ultra Thin HDMI cables, which are half the price and work just as well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #279 of 370 Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM

I purchased a 30' Redmere cable for my Sony HW55 Projector. The cable appears to work fine with my TV but not the projector. The older Samsung tv shows a picture but the projector does not even recognize there is a cable attached. Is this a possible known issue? Is there a fix?
post #280 of 370 Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, if the cable works with devices other than your projector it's probably not the cable. Obvious things, did you make sure you connected the cable to the projector in the proper direction when testing it, do other HDMI cables work with the projector, is the correct input selected when using the projector?
post #281 of 370 Old 12-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Other cables work. Redmere works with other tv. Correct direction and input is selected. I am stumped.
post #282 of 370 Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's a head scratcher fer sure. Does the HDMI output on the projector look ok? Not loose or anything? I can't imagine why the Redmere won't work with the projector but works with other devices. Certainly not a length issue. Gotta think on this some more......
post #283 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thinking of getting a few of these cables and was wondering since they are directional can you run a blu-ray player to a reciver and the receiver to your TV with these? or only blu-ray player to TV?

post #284 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I run from my dvrs into my Oppo 103, then out of the 103 into an AVR, then out to a display. Works fine.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
Directv HR44-200
post #285 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hmmm ok. I just chated with a tech from monoprice they said they dont recommend it.

I think i will just go with the big 24 gauge cable

post #286 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Its been proven in here before, the whole "cant go thru the avr" is complete BS.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
Directv HR44-200
post #287 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Hi,
I am hoping i can get some advice on my situation.
I am setting up projector and screen in the living room.

Current setup:
HTPC ->--cheap 6' hdmi--> Onkyo TX NR 609 -> cheap 6' hdmi -> Samsung 46" LCD

New Setup

HTPC ====(6' Cheap HDMI Cable)===>>> Onkyo TX NR 609 ===(4' MP 28 AWG HDMI Cable) ==>>> Powered Clone Switch ===(Cheap HDMI 6') ===>Samsung LCD
|
+ === (MP 50' Redmere Cable ) ====>> Epson 5030UB

my main concern are
1. If HDMI out from ONKYO can be cloned without any issue?
2. If the total cable length is too long ( HTPC -> Epson is about 60')

Any suggestions/advice on if it is a good idea or not? I can also purchase additional Redmere cables if that would help. Or shorten the cables from HTPC -> Onkyo , if distance is too great.
post #288 of 370 Old 12-26-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100pr00f View Post

hmmm ok. I just chated with a tech from monoprice they said they dont recommend it.

I think i will just go with the big 24 gauge cable
The best option for secure connections would be the active Redmere cables running from your AVR to the display. Redmere's biggest advantage is light weight over longer runs. If you use 24 AWG then you must be careful that the extra weight doesn't damage your connections over time.

I've seen a case where gravity messed up a 28 AWG connection over a period of about three years. I've used 36 AWG and 28 AWG passive cables for runs of 1.5' to 6.0' but I recommend support of some kind for any 28 AWG connection.

Running two or more Redmere cables in the same signal path can work for some installations, but it can also cause problems. That's why Monoprice doesn't recommend it.
post #289 of 370 Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM

I have an interesting issue with my Redmere cable setup and wondered if any of the helpful folks on here would have any ideas.

I don't have a very complex setup. I have a media center PC, a cheap LG BluRay and a Wii connected with a 50-ft redmere cable (correct direction) to a ViewSonic PJD6531w projector. Previously, I've just swapped the cable around as needed. All of these (as well as a Roku 3 used elsewhere in the house) play just fine when connected directly. I also have a monoprice HDX-401TA HDMI switcher, and everybody plays well through it, using a "High Speed w/Ethernet" 6-ft MediaBridge HDMI cable.

I finally upgraded my 10-year-old receiver to a Yamaha RX-V375, and that's when I started having issues. The computer and Wii work fine when connected through the receiver, but when I connect the Bluray or Roku, the projector says it detects a signal, but nothing displays. Interestingly, when connected to the Roku, sound works fine, but when the BluRay is connected, there is no sound through the AVR... until I disconnect the Redmere cable from the AVR output. Then I get sound, but (obviously) still no picture (I saw a similar comment to this on the Monoprice product feedback). Upon plugging the cable into the Roku, I get a picture for about a second and then it disappears.

Does this seem completely weird, or does anyone have suggestions of things to try before I give up and ditch the receiver?

post #290 of 370 Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 AM

Liked: 87
I know this is probably a lot of work but I'd try temporarily moving the receiver and projector closer together using a regular High Speed HDMI cable instead of the Redmere.. If my hunch is correct you'll still have the same problem. I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Redmere but is a firmware issue with the AVR. Also make sure the firmware is updated in the AVR.

The biggest clue you gave is that you get a few seconds of video before it goes away. That sounds like a handshaking issue. It could be bit errors (the cable) or it could be bad programming (the firmware). Only way to find out is eliminate a variable.
post #291 of 370 Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100pr00f View Post

Thinking of getting a few of these cables and was wondering since they are directional can you run a blu-ray player to a reciver and the receiver to your TV with these? or only blu-ray player to TV?

That's exactly what I do and they work perfectly. Blu-ray player to AVR. AppleTV to AVR. AVR to tv. All Redmere cables, 6' or less.
post #292 of 370 Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 AM

Lots of people with a lot more experience than I - so posting for help!

I am going to redo a bunch of equipment in the media room.

I have a media closet/rack that is about 36' of run to the projector (Sony 600es- 4k).

Other items - XBOX One, XBOX 360, DTV (which is currently hooked to run through the Xbox One), blu-ray player (I currently use the XBox One, but not sure this is the right approach going forward).

Receiver is a B&K AVR 307, but might switch that out for a Marantz or Pioneer Elite

So - here are my needs:

Need to know which HDMI switch I should get so I can connect all these as sources (powered or not powered - Monoprice, Octavia?)
Can I use Redmere or should I do a Cat6 or both - was thinking Redmere high speed slim to projector (run 2 - one for backup) and 4 runs of Cat6 while I'm in there
What cables should I use to connect components to switch?
I think I read that I should not use the optical audio connections as that limits the latest in Dolby, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Want to do this right - last time I upgraded was 12 years ago!
post #293 of 370 Old 12-28-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't say but what ever you decide on, run conduit for all of the cables! Big enough to handle multiple CAT-6 or what ever and if you do run Redmere, make sure the conduit diameter is large enough to accommodate the connector ends. And don't forget to include a pull string.
post #294 of 370 Old 12-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I know this is probably a lot of work but I'd try temporarily moving the receiver and projector closer together using a regular High Speed HDMI cable instead of the Redmere.. If my hunch is correct you'll still have the same problem. I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Redmere but is a firmware issue with the AVR. Also make sure the firmware is updated in the AVR.

The biggest clue you gave is that you get a few seconds of video before it goes away. That sounds like a handshaking issue. It could be bit errors (the cable) or it could be bad programming (the firmware). Only way to find out is eliminate a variable.

Hmm. I have a Onkyo TX-SR706 and trying to connect to a Panasonic AE8000U projector with a 30fh Monoprice Redmere HDMI. Does not work. I am able to connect with two 9ft regular old HDMIs with an extension piece/connector in the middle. However, this makes the cable hang in the air so need longer. And when I connect e.g. the HDTV tuner box to the receiver with the Redmere cable, everything still works fine. So I guess I should try with a regular, non-Redmere 30ft HDMI cable from receiver to projector? Or any other adive?

EDIT: went ahead and ordered a regular 35ft one - hopefully that works better.
post #295 of 370 Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM

That will be a standard speed cable at 35 feet. So, it will probably work for 1080p/60 and lower resolutions. It may work for higher resolutions but there is no way to tell until you try it.

If you hit a problem, disable Deep Color which will reduce the bitrate required to generate the picture.
post #296 of 370 Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedden View Post

I purchased a 30' Redmere cable for my Sony HW55 Projector. The cable appears to work fine with my TV but not the projector. The older Samsung tv shows a picture but the projector does not even recognize there is a cable attached. Is this a possible known issue? Is there a fix?

Interesting. I have a 60' redmere cable to my Sony HW55 projector and having a ton of issues. If I hook up the roku or the boxee directly I get a picture. But the sony 5100 bluray I don't. If I run it thru the Denon 4520 receiver I get no picture on boxee, bluray or roku, but I do get sound on the roku.

The strange thing is that I did get it all to work for a day, picture looked amazing but I think the cable is having some handshake issues with the projector and the roku direct puts out a strong enough signal but the denon and sony bluray doesn't?

I IM'd with monoprice and they don't have a solution to amplify the signal as they said the redmere already has a chip in it.. I luckily did run 2 cat6 cables. Any recommendations on which baluns to use?
post #297 of 370 Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM

You are likely getting bit errors. Amplifying would just make those bit errors worse. The chip inside a Redmere cable reconstructs the signal on the receiving end. There is also some cable EQ done but it does not work by amplifying the signal.

Anyway, any of the HDBaseT systems or HDBaseT Lite systems (including the ones sold by Monoprice) would work for you.
post #298 of 370 Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:

That will be a standard speed cable at 35 feet. So, it will probably work for 1080p/60 and lower resolutions. It may work for higher resolutions but there is no way to tell until you try it.

If you hit a problem, disable Deep Color which will reduce the bitrate required to generate the picture.

This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LJQM3Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They claim:
" 35 feet HDMI cable - CL3 rated for in wall installations
Fully compatible with all blu ray players, Xbox 360, PS3. Supports resolution 720p, 1080i, 1080p and beyond
Fully Shielded Heavy Duty Premium Grade Cable with Soft PVC Jacket and Gold plated connectors
Category 2 Certified - High-Speed 10.2 gbps / 340 MHz (Supports Increased Refresh Rates & 48-Bit Deep Color)
Limited Lifetime Warranty"

BS or not? smile.gif
post #299 of 370 Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post

This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LJQM3Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They claim:
" 35 feet HDMI cable - CL3 rated for in wall installations
Fully compatible with all blu ray players, Xbox 360, PS3. Supports resolution 720p, 1080i, 1080p and beyond
Fully Shielded Heavy Duty Premium Grade Cable with Soft PVC Jacket and Gold plated connectors
Category 2 Certified - High-Speed 10.2 gbps / 340 MHz (Supports Increased Refresh Rates & 48-Bit Deep Color)
Limited Lifetime Warranty"

BS or not? smile.gif

It's sold by BlueRigger so ask them for a copy of their certification. I'll bet the certification is for a shorter cable which would not be valid for a 35' cable. I'd be interested to hear their response.

While there is nothing in the spec that prevents a passive High Speed cable from being 35', current manufacturing techniques do not allow it.

So, what you'll likely get is a cable that will work at 1080p/60 but if you try to use it for higher speeds (such as what is needed for HDMI 2.0) then it won't work.
post #300 of 370 Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

It's sold by BlueRigger so ask them for a copy of their certification. I'll bet the certification is for a shorter cable which would not be valid for a 35' cable. I'd be interested to hear their response.

While there is nothing in the spec that prevents a passive High Speed cable from being 35', current manufacturing techniques do not allow it.

So, what you'll likely get is a cable that will work at 1080p/60 but if you try to use it for higher speeds (such as what is needed for HDMI 2.0) then it won't work.

Interesting. Will try go get the cert. So would this mean that it would likely not work for e.g. 3D Blu-Rays?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page