3Likes

post #391 of 414 Old 08-31-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
You made it sound like one 15' cable was being used for two displays. More information about that or any other details about your HDMI signal path from source to each of your displays would help. The red line flashing doesn't sound like a HDMI problem to me, but more information would be helpful.
I tested the 15' redmere on two different displays. Both reacted differently. My laptop runs regular sized cheap HDMI cables to both TV's fine. No issues with video quality. Both TV's were updated with software, to ensure they were up to date. Laptop is a Sager NP5160, very capable laptop for video, I used VLC as the media player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 414 Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves40th View Post
I tested the 15' redmere on two different displays. Both reacted differently. My laptop runs regular sized cheap HDMI cables to both TV's fine. No issues with video quality. Both TV's were updated with software, to ensure they were up to date. Laptop is a Sager NP5160, very capable laptop for video, I used VLC as the media player.
Since your setup consists of a lap top and which ever TV you connect using HDMI, is it possible to try the Redmere in another system that doesn't include a computer?

The cutting out problem could be excessive handshake requests caused by your computer, the cable, and or the TV. The red flashing is not something that I've run into in connection with HDMI problems. HDMI technology is a pain at the best of times. If one of your sets is much older than the other that might explain the difference in symptoms.
steves40th likes this.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #393 of 414 Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Since your setup consists of a lap top and which ever TV you connect using HDMI, is it possible to try the Redmere in another system that doesn't include a computer?

The cutting out problem could be excessive handshake requests caused by your computer, the cable, and or the TV. The red flashing is not something that I've run into in connection with HDMI problems. HDMI technology is a pain at the best of times. If one of your sets is much older than the other that might explain the difference in symptoms.
I will try it with a Bluray player when I get home. I am on the road now. Good idea...
post #394 of 414 Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves40th View Post
I will try it with a Bluray player when I get home. I am on the road now. Good idea...
Also try different HDMI inputs on your TVs. Good luck.

Calibration Resources:

post #395 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hdmi cables

Quote:
Also try different HDMI inputs on your TVs. Good luck.
comments would be helped on the audioquest "chocolate" hdmi cable as i'm thinking of getting one.
rviele
post #396 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Audioquest chocolate cables are grossly overpriced, like Monster. $140 for a 6' cable! Seriously? If a cable is certified by an HDMI.org approved certification agency, then the cable will meet all current HDMI specs, 1.4/2.0. You can't get any better than that. The cable specs may be better in some instances but it's the HDMI specs that are important. Better cable specs doesn't mean you're going to get better audio/video performance if the cable is already certified to meet HDMI specs. Anybody can have a bad cable but a certified $20 cable can perform just as good as $140 cable.
post #397 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post
comments would be helped on the audioquest "chocolate" hdmi cable as i'm thinking of getting one.
rviele
If a HDMI cable works it makes no difference who sold it for how much money. I've never used anyones HDMI cables other than Monoprice for out extended family and friends. Just be sure it's "high speed."

Calibration Resources:

post #398 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hdmi cables

Quote:
If a HDMI cable works it makes no difference who sold it for how much money. I've never used anyones HDMI cables other than Monoprice for out extended family and friends. Just be sure it's "high speed."
do you happen to have the part number from monoprice so that i can make sure i get the right one
thanks
rviele
post #399 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Just make sure it's a certified high speed HDMI cable certified for the length you need. That's all you need to know. Prices will vary on length and what "extra" stuff they put into the manufacturing (gold connectors, etc) but it's all fluff.
post #400 of 414 Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Just make sure it's a certified high speed HDMI cable certified for the length you need. That's all you need to know. Prices will vary on length and what "extra" stuff they put into the manufacturing (gold connectors, etc) but it's all fluff.
Right.

Calibration Resources:

post #401 of 414 Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just make sure it's a certified high speed HDMI cable certified for the length you need.’ – and be wary of folk who claim ‘up to 10m’ (and forget to add 'but not including 10m'!).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -

post #402 of 414 Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Guys,

I bought a 30ft RedMere cable from Monoprice in Aug and finally have a chance to test it out. It doesn't display an image (black screen). Ist this a defective cable? I tried two different bluray players. I did check the source and display end correctly.

Cable I bought:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by tractng; 09-07-2014 at 11:17 PM.
post #403 of 414 Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Guys,

I bought a 30ft RedMere cable from Monoprice in Aug and finally have a chance to test it out. It doesn't display an image (black screen). Ist this a defective cable? I tried two different bluray players. I did check the source and display end correctly.

Cable I bought:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Are you aware that RedMere cables are directional? You may have installed the cable backwards.

Calibration Resources:

post #404 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you aware that RedMere cables are directional? You may have installed the cable backwards.

I check the correct end. Display goes to TV and source goes to bluray player. Also tried reversing.
post #405 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you selected the correct input? Can you try another cable just as a test in the same input to rule out the input/cable?
post #406 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Have you selected the correct input? Can you try another cable just as a test in the same input to rule out the input/cable?

I have checked with old cable and it worked fine and. Also, tried different HDMI ports. Good thing I have tested or it would been a nightmare running through the wall/ceiling for a projector setup. Is there an alternative cable that will work well for future 4k device without the chip?

I had a 30 ft hdmi cable from monoprice that I bought 6 years ago that worked well but ripped it out when we sold the house. I that time I figured its an old hdmi cable and its time to change . I got an RMA from monoprice but am not sure if I want RedMere now.
post #407 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
There is no perfect future-proof cable. The only future-proof solution is conduit.

Some very good solutions are cat-6 cable, or fiber. Both of which can have adapters put in place to transmit HDMI A/V over. Fiber is nearly limitless with how much resolution it can support.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #408 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're installing the cable in the wall/ceiling I strongly recommend that you use at least a 1" conduit. It makes repairing/replacing cable so much easier. You could install a second cable for future use/need or, at least, a pull string for future cabling. I'm surprised that the Redmere Cable didn't work. It's always possible to get a bad cable from anyone I suppose. HDMI specs will continue to change over time. The current HMDI specs (1.4/2.0) can easily be met with current high speed HDMI cables (there's no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 cable). If you want to "future proof" the best thing you can do now is install solid core CAT-6 cable for that length and use HDBT (HDBase-T) as connectors. Or, you could install a thicker gauge HDMI cable but then you have flexibility issues and strain on the connector ends. Just make sure that what ever you do you don't have any sharp bends in the cable as it transits the wall and attic space.
post #409 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I got an RMA from monoprice but am not sure if I want RedMere now.
As others have pointed out there is no way to future protect HDMI cables, and any cable can arrive defective. The best you can do is selecting "high speed" and exchange the cable.

You've already checked all your settings and used another cable, so it really does sound like a dead cable. It's always possible but not something that happens very often. I've personally had one 6' HDMI passive cable replaced by Monoprice in the ten years that I've ordered for our extended family. My personal 15' Redmere has been perfect. So was the 28 AWG cable that it replaced.

Good luck.

Calibration Resources:

post #410 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are there devices that are just not compatible?

I bought a 10' Redmere cable from Monoprice. I was trying to use it with my Micca Speck Media Player. If I use a regular cable to my TV it works, when I try to use the Redmere, it doesn't. I have it plugged the right way and when I use a blu-ray player it works. I thought the power came from the sink. If that is the case, then the Sharp Aquos TV is the sink and the Speck is the source. What could cause this not to work?
post #411 of 414 Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndecker View Post
I bought a 10' Redmere cable from Monoprice. I was trying to use it with my Micca Speck Media Player. If I use a regular cable to my TV it works, when I try to use the Redmere, it doesn't. I have it plugged the right way and when I use a blu-ray player it works. I thought the power came from the sink. If that is the case, then the Sharp Aquos TV is the sink and the Speck is the source. What could cause this not to work?
I assume that you've already done this.

"NOTE From Amazon: If player has no video output, press the "HDMI" or "AV" button on the remote. "

If the Redmere HDMI cable works to connect a Blu-ray player to your TV, but it doesn't work when you connect the Micca Speck to your TV with the same Redmere HDMI cable, then I suspect the Micca Speck. As I understand it, all the Redmere chip is doing is amplifying the signal to compensate for signal loss due to the difference between a 6' cable and a 15' cable.

I don't know sinks from tubs.

You can probably get information from Monoprice or a thread dedicated to the Micca Speck if there is such a thing.

Calibration Resources:

post #412 of 414 Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As others have pointed out there is no way to future protect HDMI cables, and any cable can arrive defective. The best you can do is selecting "high speed" and exchange the cable.

You've already checked all your settings and used another cable, so it really does sound like a dead cable. It's always possible but not something that happens very often. I've personally had one 6' HDMI passive cable replaced by Monoprice in the ten years that I've ordered for our extended family. My personal 15' Redmere has been perfect. So was the 28 AWG cable that it replaced.

Good luck.
I end up getting a non Redmere cable as replacement from monoprice
post #413 of 414 Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I end up getting a non Redmere cable as replacement from monoprice
With HDMI "what ever works" is the byword.

Calibration Resources:

post #414 of 414 Old 09-14-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read over the threads and it seems some of you ran 50ft cables w/o a problem. Are you guys using any extender/booster in between?

I need a to run a length of 30ft from my Onkyo Reciever to my receiver. Do I need to add any extender?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page