3Likes

post #421 of 427 Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Any flexible conduit tubing will work. I forget what we used because we had an electrician install the conduit while we were remodeling. You can Google for an idea of what is available. The same for the 90 degree or elbow HDMI adapters. Just Search Amazon or Monoprice.

Joe usually cruises this forum and replies quite often. He may show up.
Will this work if I join two HDMI Redmere cables?

HDMI Keystone Jacks on Monoprice.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 427 Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Probably not because at 75' you still may have signal issues due to length. Why don't you want to run conduit and do something simple like CAT-6 with some sort of active termination? If you're thinking about two lengths of Redmere that wouldn't work because the sink end of the Redmere cable (they are uni-directional) needs a small bit of power for the chipset in that end.
post #423 of 427 Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabraves2000 View Post
1) By Conduit you meant putting in a pipe?
Carlon Riser Gard conduit is available from a number of places online in 1" and 1.25" dimensions at 100' lengths. This is a flexible conduit, so it's not like PVC pipe, but more like a vacuum hose. A bit heavier, and rated for in-wall use. Good stuff.

Quote:
2) Unfortunately Monoprice does not sell Redmere with 75ft. I will search for more vendors
I'm not aware of 75' Redmere cables, but no matter what, there is no promise of it working, and even less promise of long term use and reliability. Either install conduit, or put in two pieces of HDMI and 2 cat-5e or cat-6 cables. I personally ran conduit, and use the Monoprice 75' 22AWG HDMI cable between my basement and the bedroom, and I did have good results in doing so. YMMV. But, I ran cat-5e and I can add cat-6 if I want/need to. At the end of the day, you really want to focus on covering your butt, not on what is cheapest, or what gets you by today. Long term, reliability should be a goal.

Oh - and I run directly from my source to the TV. Long gentle turns on the HDMI cable behind the TV.

Quote:
3) I know that might be an issue but unfortunately due to room size, this is to be done.
There is no issue with those distances. I've used fiber conversion units to thousands of feet with HDMI. There are solutions, but some of them cost more than others. At over $1,000 per end point, fiber is certainly not something that everyone is going to be doing. But, it's still an ideal solution for some.

Quote:
4) I was thinking of avoiding an extender till now but I think I have to go for one in this case
I agree. A good HDBT solution is the way to go if you want to keep cabling to a minimum and can't run conduit. Always at least two cat-5e or cat-6 cables as a minimum. This way, if any cable fails, or new standard comes out that needs a bit more bandwidth, you have cabling in place that should protect you for years to come.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #424 of 427 Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ Excellent advice.
post #425 of 427 Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you very much for your advice. Actually I was able to use only 60" Redmere cable only since I now installed the projector on the roof. The conduit was not necessary since the wire is going along the unfinished part of the basement

thanks again for your help both of you
post #426 of 427 Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,
Just found these cables and purchased some off Amazon. I originally had some no name ones and found that they didn't work, so I thought perhaps it was because they were no name brand cables. Anyways, I'm hooking devices up to an Anthem MRX-510. I know they are one directional. I have the following devices
AppleTV
Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray player
Arris Cable TV
WDTV Live player

I tried on AppleTV. Worked only the original time, but when I unplugged and plugged back into reroute the cable, would not work. Ended up plugging back in the old HDMI cable.
Tried on Oppo. Wouldn't work at all again.
Tried on WDTV Live, worked okay, but the odd second or so every now and then the picture would blank out but the sound kept playing. Went back to old HDMI cable.
Tried on Arris Cable box. No issues, works great.

Is it just that it works on some devices and not on others? I am only using 6ft. cables. I only wanted to used them to neaten up the look behind the console.
Thanks
Phil
post #427 of 427 Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I use 6' Redmere cables to connect the AppleTV2 and blu-ray player to the receiver and then to the tv. Works perfectly. They should work with any device as they are dumb cables with a little electronic chip at the sink end. Have you tried the one cable that works on the Arris cable box on your other devices and vice versa? That would rule out a physical cable issue.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page