Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 15 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #421 of 448 Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Any flexible conduit tubing will work. I forget what we used because we had an electrician install the conduit while we were remodeling. You can Google for an idea of what is available. The same for the 90 degree or elbow HDMI adapters. Just Search Amazon or Monoprice.

Joe usually cruises this forum and replies quite often. He may show up.
Will this work if I join two HDMI Redmere cables?

HDMI Keystone Jacks on Monoprice.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 448 Old 09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Probably not because at 75' you still may have signal issues due to length. Why don't you want to run conduit and do something simple like CAT-6 with some sort of active termination? If you're thinking about two lengths of Redmere that wouldn't work because the sink end of the Redmere cable (they are uni-directional) needs a small bit of power for the chipset in that end.
post #423 of 448 Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabraves2000 View Post
1) By Conduit you meant putting in a pipe?
Carlon Riser Gard conduit is available from a number of places online in 1" and 1.25" dimensions at 100' lengths. This is a flexible conduit, so it's not like PVC pipe, but more like a vacuum hose. A bit heavier, and rated for in-wall use. Good stuff.

Quote:
2) Unfortunately Monoprice does not sell Redmere with 75ft. I will search for more vendors
I'm not aware of 75' Redmere cables, but no matter what, there is no promise of it working, and even less promise of long term use and reliability. Either install conduit, or put in two pieces of HDMI and 2 cat-5e or cat-6 cables. I personally ran conduit, and use the Monoprice 75' 22AWG HDMI cable between my basement and the bedroom, and I did have good results in doing so. YMMV. But, I ran cat-5e and I can add cat-6 if I want/need to. At the end of the day, you really want to focus on covering your butt, not on what is cheapest, or what gets you by today. Long term, reliability should be a goal.

Oh - and I run directly from my source to the TV. Long gentle turns on the HDMI cable behind the TV.

Quote:
3) I know that might be an issue but unfortunately due to room size, this is to be done.
There is no issue with those distances. I've used fiber conversion units to thousands of feet with HDMI. There are solutions, but some of them cost more than others. At over $1,000 per end point, fiber is certainly not something that everyone is going to be doing. But, it's still an ideal solution for some.

Quote:
4) I was thinking of avoiding an extender till now but I think I have to go for one in this case
I agree. A good HDBT solution is the way to go if you want to keep cabling to a minimum and can't run conduit. Always at least two cat-5e or cat-6 cables as a minimum. This way, if any cable fails, or new standard comes out that needs a bit more bandwidth, you have cabling in place that should protect you for years to come.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #424 of 448 Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ Excellent advice.
post #425 of 448 Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you very much for your advice. Actually I was able to use only 60" Redmere cable only since I now installed the projector on the roof. The conduit was not necessary since the wire is going along the unfinished part of the basement

thanks again for your help both of you
post #426 of 448 Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,
Just found these cables and purchased some off Amazon. I originally had some no name ones and found that they didn't work, so I thought perhaps it was because they were no name brand cables. Anyways, I'm hooking devices up to an Anthem MRX-510. I know they are one directional. I have the following devices
AppleTV
Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray player
Arris Cable TV
WDTV Live player

I tried on AppleTV. Worked only the original time, but when I unplugged and plugged back into reroute the cable, would not work. Ended up plugging back in the old HDMI cable.
Tried on Oppo. Wouldn't work at all again.
Tried on WDTV Live, worked okay, but the odd second or so every now and then the picture would blank out but the sound kept playing. Went back to old HDMI cable.
Tried on Arris Cable box. No issues, works great.

Is it just that it works on some devices and not on others? I am only using 6ft. cables. I only wanted to used them to neaten up the look behind the console.
Thanks
Phil
post #427 of 448 Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I use 6' Redmere cables to connect the AppleTV2 and blu-ray player to the receiver and then to the tv. Works perfectly. They should work with any device as they are dumb cables with a little electronic chip at the sink end. Have you tried the one cable that works on the Arris cable box on your other devices and vice versa? That would rule out a physical cable issue.
post #428 of 448 Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 AM

Unfortunately, no go. That doesn't work either. No big deal. Just wanted to make things neater. Oh well, back to the fat HDMI cables. At least they work fine.

Quote:
I use 6' Redmere cables to connect the AppleTV2 and blu-ray player to the receiver and then to the tv. Works perfectly. They should work with any device as they are dumb cables with a little electronic chip at the sink end. Have you tried the one cable that works on the Arris cable box on your other devices and vice versa? That would rule out a physical cable issue.
post #429 of 448 Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by plouie10 View Post
Hi Guys,
Just found these cables and purchased some off Amazon. I originally had some no name ones and found that they didn't work, so I thought perhaps it was because they were no name brand cables. Anyways, I'm hooking devices up to an Anthem MRX-510. I know they are one directional. I have the following devices
AppleTV
Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray player
Arris Cable TV
WDTV Live player

I tried on AppleTV. Worked only the original time, but when I unplugged and plugged back into reroute the cable, would not work. Ended up plugging back in the old HDMI cable.
Tried on Oppo. Wouldn't work at all again.
Tried on WDTV Live, worked okay, but the odd second or so every now and then the picture would blank out but the sound kept playing. Went back to old HDMI cable.
Tried on Arris Cable box. No issues, works great.

Is it just that it works on some devices and not on others? I am only using 6ft. cables. I only wanted to used them to neaten up the look behind the console.
Thanks
Phil
Why not use slim passive HDMI cables instead of active ones? There is a chance that the voltage needed to drive the RedMere chips isn't strong enough.

I have tested about 60 of these cables at 1', 3', and 6' lengths without issue using 1080p/60 content on a Quantum tester ($10,000) and they have all worked well.
http://www.parts-express.com/search....le*&PortalID=1

There are other brands out there as well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #430 of 448 Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 AM

Awesome! Thanks! I'll have a look. Didn't know they existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Why not use slim passive HDMI cables instead of active ones? There is a chance that the voltage needed to drive the RedMere chips isn't strong enough.

I have tested about 60 of these cables at 1', 3', and 6' lengths without issue using 1080p/60 content on a Quantum tester ($10,000) and they have all worked well.
http://www.parts-express.com/search....28%29%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22% 29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2 C%221%22%29]&Ntt=super*+slim*+hdmi*+cable*&PortalID=1

There are other brands out there as well.
post #431 of 448 Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

AV_Integrated beat me to it but yeah, use the Slim HDMI cables. They should work fine for the lengths you are running if the Redmere's aren't working for you.
post #432 of 448 Old 01-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed a 50' monoprice redmere HDMI cable. Lots of issues. Worked great for about 10 minutes, then "format not supported" is flashing across my TV. I've plugged it into the PS3 directly, and into the Onkyo. Works better with the PS3, but still craps out. I tried manually setting the Onkyo to 720, 1080i, 1080p, 1080p/24. NOTHING WORKED. I just emailed their CS. What stinks is this cable is installed in the attic. Yes, I tried it before installing it. Worked. I wasn't going to sit there and watch a whole movie... I ran it for 3 minutes and then installed it. Cable is a POS. So either they tell me I'm a lucky winner that got one of their defective batches and swap it out with a good one, which I'll trial run for a whole day or 2 before I install in the attic... OR I go to a CAT6 setup.

Cable I bought:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

63" Samsung Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR5009, Deftech BP-8020 Super Towers, Deftech 8040 Center, Mirage OS3 Surrounds, HSU VTF2-MK4 Sub, PS3 & HD DVR box.

Last edited by FL335i; 01-01-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #433 of 448 Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Slim Series CL2 vs non CL2

Thinking of buying a 40ft monoprice hdmi cable. Can anyone suggest if I should with

40ft High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - 9431

or

40ft Slim Series CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - 9171

Both are redmere. Except one is CL2 certified. Both have been in the market for the same time. The one that is not CL2 has more reviews and so I think is more popular. I see people have been using the non-CL2 hdmi cable for in wall use also. I will be routing the cable via conduit pipe from receiver to projector. I think the thickness of both cables is the same.
post #434 of 448 Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

At that length you might want to consider CAT-6 -> HDBT. I only say that because the Redmere cables are active cables in that they have a chipset in the sink end. Like all electronic devices, the chipset can fail over time. Mine haven't, but they are short runs and are easily accessible behind the HTS. CAT-6 will probably never fail because it's just wire, only the outside termination is powered but that's outside the wall. It would be much easier to fix a termination end than to pull 40' of cable out and replace with same. Just a consideration. What ever you do though, I'd lay it out on the floor first and test before installing it. Just in case.
post #435 of 448 Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
'I will be routing the cable via conduit pipe from receiver to projector. I think the thickness of both cables is the same.' - it's not the cable diameter you have to worry about it's the HDMI Connectors and how you plan to 'pull' the cable without potentially separating the Connector from the cable stock!

CAT6 + HDBT Extenders every time

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #436 of 448 Old 02-21-2015, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did not read through all the pages so forgive me if this has been asked before. I want to know if Monoprice plans to have the Redmere 18 Gbps HDMI cable for lengths greater than the available 15 ft ??

The run from my source to the projector is around 25 ft and I was really hoping the 18 Gbps HDMI cable would be available for that.
post #437 of 448 Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Any reason why you don't want to go with solid core CAT-6 and then some kind of HDBT extender to terminate? And no, I don't know what Monoprice's plans are for extending the Redmere technology to longer than 15'. I thought there were Redmere cables at longer lengths, albeit a bit pricey.
post #438 of 448 Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What are the chances of a Redmere cable cale going bad after a few weeks?

Bought this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 and everything was fine. Then one day I switched to my blue ray player and got no signal. Checked other sources and no signal on any of them. Replaced the cable with an older Monster HDMI that I had and everything works fine. Tried the monoprice Redmere cable again and no signal. Monoprice is RMA'ing the cable with no problem.

My setup: Motorola cable box,Sony blue ray player, ps3 connected to Yamaha v677 via HDMI. Vizio P Series tv connected to Yamaha via HDMI.

The Redmere cable was 10ft in length. It fortnuatly was not run through a wall but through console mounted cable run so removing was not a problem.

Did I just get a bad cable or should I stay away from Redmere?
post #439 of 448 Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Redmere's are active cables in that they have a small chipset in the sink end (tv) side that draws a little power so they are uni-directional. Like any other electronic device they can fail over time. It is possible that you got a bad cable. I've not had any issues at all with mine and I have three.
post #440 of 448 Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quick question on the redmere cables...

Do they work with HDMI wall plates like monoprice sells, or should I use a brush wall plate like this http://www.cableorganizer.com/vanco/...e-wall-plates/ and no couplers? This would be for an in-wall installation.

Thanks
post #441 of 448 Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

How long is your run? Installing HDMI cables in-wall is ok to do but if you don't use some sort of conduit it's going to be difficult to change the cables when the specs change (and they will ). Also, Redmere HDMI cables are active cables in that they need to draw a little bit of power from the sink end (the tv), which means that they can fail overtime like any electronic device.

I would use the brush wall plate because you would want the Redmere cable to connect directly to the tv and not through a coupler. Have you considered installing CAT-6 in a conduit and then using some sort of extender to terminate it? Installing CAT-6 will probably cover your connections needs a lot longer than an HDMI cable. They are also easier to pull.
post #442 of 448 Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
How long is your run? Installing HDMI cables in-wall is ok to do but if you don't use some sort of conduit it's going to be difficult to change the cables when the specs change (and they will ). Also, Redmere HDMI cables are active cables in that they need to draw a little bit of power from the sink end (the tv), which means that they can fail overtime like any electronic device.

I would use the brush wall plate because you would want the Redmere cable to connect directly to the tv and not through a coupler. Have you considered installing CAT-6 in a conduit and then using some sort of extender to terminate it? Installing CAT-6 will probably cover your connections needs a lot longer than an HDMI cable. They are also easier to pull.
This is for a HT projector. I don't have exact measurements yet, but 35' would easily be enough. ...leaning towards a 40' cable just to make sure I'm not short. I have conduit where the receiver will go, and I can easily put some near the projector. Both would terminate in the attic, where I would leave the slack.
post #443 of 448 Old 03-21-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

40' is pretty long. Do they make a 40' Redmere cable? I haven't looked so I don't know. Conduit in the walls, with a pull string, is what I have setup. The rest of the cable, which is CAT-6 by the way, is loose in the attic. I'm using solid core CAT-6 to extend my ethernet connection so my HTS is hardwired but there is an extra cable there, with the pull string, for future use to extend HDMI if I need to. Redmere cables are uni-directional so if you do go with Redmere, pay attention to the arrows. I would lay it out on the floor first and connect to make sure it works before installing it in the conduit.
post #444 of 448 Old 03-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm using a short (about 5') Redmere cable from a DirecTV HD-DVR to a Cary Cinema 11a for audio. I assume the end labeled TV should go to the Cary; is that correct? I had occasional audio dropouts (no sound or distorted sound) when switching channels or restarting from pause, but I have the same problem using the Redmere. I assume it's the buggy digital section of the Cary, although it never happens with digital coax.

db
post #445 of 448 Old 03-22-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the end of the Redmere cable that is labeled tv is the sink end and where the chipset is to draw a little power. If you install the cable backwards you probably won't get a signal at all but you won't damage anything either.

So are you using the HDMI cable for audio only? If all you're trying to do is send compressed audio (5.1, not DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc) then the optical cable should work just fine. I'm a little confused as to your setup. HDMI, as you know, is audio and video. Optical is audio only, at least that's what I use it for. Redmere for audio only is a bit of an overkill because at 5', a thin gauge high speed hdmi cable would be just as good.
post #446 of 448 Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

HDMI-1 from the Oppo 105 goes directly to the projector; HDMI-2 goes to the Cary Cinema 11a; SP/DIF goes to the 11a as a backup audio source I rarely use. DTS-MA HD and Dolby True HD are important to me; I enjoy music on Blu-ray. I installed the Redmere cable thinking it might cure the occasional audio dropout problem, but it didn't. A sure fix for the dropout is to switch to SP/DIF then back to HDMI; a less sure fix is to select HDMI again. When the 11a came out, early complaints were that the digital section was buggy even though the sonics were fine. Early users of the 11a who tried to use its automated setup were disappointed by the inaccuracies of the calculations and harsh noise when switching form one digital source to another.

I sold a previous 11a, but bought another in order to play DSD surround from a Sony XA5400ES which is only available via HDMI, perhaps a fool's errand. The Cary does have a bit more flexibility as a processor than the Oppo 105, e.g., crossovers can be set for each speaker and bass management seems a bit superior to that of the Oppo. For stereo, neither the Cary nor subs are used.

db
post #447 of 448 Old 03-22-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, it's a bit clearer now. I wasn't sure what the Cary was until I looked it up. Nice unit. The HDMI inputs are 1.3 which is a bit behind as far as HDMI technology goes. The current hardware specs are HDMI 1.4 with 2.0 starting to appear in one form or another. It shouldn't make a difference though. It does sound like there is something amiss with the Cary if you have to switch inputs back and forth to eliminate the dropouts.
post #448 of 448 Unread 03-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that what I'm experiencing isn't audio drop out, just lag in HDMI linking. Audio returns after pausing or switching stations without any intervention, but it takes a few seconds. That delay was introduced with the Cary Cinema 11a in the setup. It's only a minor annoyance.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World