Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #451 of 460 Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post
I have a 15' (non-monoprice) Redmere cable that works fine. Now I see the monoprice is having a sale on the Redmere so I bought a 3'.

Yes, 3'. I think worse case I use it as a backup. But what I was thinking was that what if I cut the 3' Redmere in half and then extend them. I can make arbitrary length Redmere cable.

I guess I can terminate them into 2x RJ-45. This is more of an experiment. Thoughts?
As mentioned, that won't work. Re-wiring an HDMI cable is difficult enough but an HDMI cable with Redmere technology is virtually impossible. They are uni-directional cables. In other words, the sink end (tv side) has a chipset in it so that a little power can be drawn which allows the cables to be run at longer distance than the current 25' maximum for certified passive high speed HDMI cables and use a thinner gauge wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 460 Old 05-04-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
'I guess I can terminate them into 2x RJ-45. This is more of an experiment. Thoughts?' - we all await the Outcome of the Experiment

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc
post #453 of 460 Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Not likely to work. The electronics in the Redmere cable are tuned to the specific cable length. Even if that wasn't the case, splicing HDMI will change the electrical characteristics of the cable enough that the signal likely won't pass through correctly any more.
I wasn't aware that the redmere chip is tuned to the specific cable length. If that is the case, my experiment of arbitrary length Redmere HDMI won't work.
post #454 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI 15' and 4'

I'm redoing some re-wiring for my Dad. I originally bought him CL2 HDMI cables from Knukonceptz @ 8' each.

We've changed the set-up and the 8' are too stiff and lengthy for connecting the STB and Blu-ray to the AVR, so I'll likely be using 4' cables so that I can still route them nicely. Regarding the cable from the AVR to the TV, we need a little more length, around 12'.

I've seen many threads recommending running HDBaseT and whatnot, but it doesn't seem necessary for the near future as we're just going from behind the TV, into the wall, down, then out to the AVR, decently 'short' run. Plus, he wouldn't need to buy the other equipment needed. Other recommendations I've seen include using the Monoprice Redmere and the Ultra Slim Non-active for the 4' cables.

What's the latest and greatest suggestions for what I'm trying to do?
2x 4'
1x 12'

Thanks!

Last edited by MAYBEN; 06-15-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #455 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Monoprice should be able to provide an HDMI cable for your needs. At 4', 8', or 12'... I wouldn't be overly concerned.
post #456 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Monoprice should be able to provide an HDMI cable for your needs. At 4', 8', or 12'... I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I'm more concerned about which specific model to get for the 4' and 12'. The 12' needs to be in-wall rated (I believe) and the 4' does not.

Monoprice has wicked cheap cables and some that are twice as much.
post #457 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYBEN View Post
2x 4'
Two of these...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYBEN View Post
1x 12'
One of these...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

That last one is directional, so install it the proper direction.

No wall plates may be used. Directly from source to receiver, then from receiver to display.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #458 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Two of these...

One of these...

That last one is directional, so install it the proper direction.

No wall plates may be used. Directly from source to receiver, then from receiver to display.
Thanks! for the 12', it is running from the TV into the wall, then out to the receiver. Should this be in-wall rated?

(I can't post/quote links yet!)
post #459 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 509
If it's a short run in the wall, then ... well yes. But, that's rarely an issue over such a short distance in the wall, in the same cavity in the wall. It's not anything like a 100' run through a common open air handling space. That is, even though this isn't technically proper, it's also something tons of people do, and not a high voltage/electrical cable. There is some discussion through this thread about the legality of running Redmere cables through walls. I personally wouldn't sweat a 5' run through a wall.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #460 of 460 Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World