Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #511 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Monoprice still following this thread? I'm currently on chat with monoprice for the second time now on a 60ft redmere cable that has failed. These things are only lasting what 3 months at best. All of a sudden one day the pic and vid just goes away and I get no response out of the display. What's worse is I have this cable ran under my house from our office to our living room tv. So I have to climb under the house not once but twice since I have to mail this piece of junk back on my dime. This is two cables now I'm having to pay to ship back.

This issue you found from Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables (Post 4 on this topic) apparently isn't really corrected from several years ago or it is a new problem that has developed. You sent new cables out then with out requiring a return shipment. It would be nice if you would realize there is a problem with the current design also and treat it like you did 4 years ago.

Last edited by scgt1; 02-22-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 864
http://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact

IMHO... ask for a refund, return the cable and look for a 60' active HDMI alternative or perhaps another solution (IE, Cat6 HDbT...)
post #513 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hi
Is there a redmere cable with 50ft length for 4K with HDR support ? Is it 18gps or higher ? I have one 50ft for 1080p with 10gps. I love it . It is quite thin. Thanks
post #514 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
http://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact

IMHO... ask for a refund, return the cable and look for a 60' active HDMI alternative or perhaps another solution (IE, Cat6 HDbT...)
I've already contact the support department and started the wheels rolling for another replacement as my message stated. The point is these have a design flaw and they replaced them in the past totally free of charge. They should do the same now. (IE Not charging the customer to send a defective product back) I'm currently running a blue cat 5 cable through my house taped to the walls using hdmi converter boxes. I would just permanently run the cat cable under the house but and use this equipment but they boxes aren't 4k compliant only 1080P. I doubt Monoprice will refund my purchase since it has been almost a year since my initial purchase let alone several months since the replacement. 5/29/15 was the first cable purchase.
post #515 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Well... since you've had bad luck with the last set of active cables, as I suggested, look towards a different vendor and/or an alternative.

As for Cat5......... for 4K requirements, you may want to consider solid core Cat6 cables and the appropriate converters as opposed to being frustrated and save shipping costs for returns.
post #516 of 523 Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 731
I'm curious as to what the poster means by CAT-5. Is he referring to CAT-5 ethernet patch cable or actual CAT-5 solid core cable (non-CCS) cable which he has to terminate himself. CAT-6/7 solid core would be a better choice as Ratman suggested.
post #517 of 523 Old 02-23-2016, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 116
For an 'installed' situation HDMI over CAT is the better option every time.

As above you will want solid core, non-CCA CAT6.

Joe

PS Run 2x CAT6!
crash1977 likes this.

Octava Inc. 'Factory Direct' Multi-cast HD over LAN.
post #518 of 523 Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
For an 'installed' situation HDMI over CAT is the better option every time.

As above you will want solid core, non-CCA CAT6.

Joe

PS Run 2x CAT6!
How exactly is this accomplished ? I have hmdi running over cat6 that are supplied and terminated via hdbaseT. HdbaseT cannot do 18gbps or pass HDR at the moment .

Is there another technology that allows for full 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps over cat6 ?
post #519 of 523 Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1977 View Post
How exactly is this accomplished ? I have hmdi running over cat6 that are supplied and terminated via hdbaseT. HdbaseT cannot do 18gbps or pass HDR at the moment .

Is there another technology that allows for full 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps over cat6 ?
Some are turning to FOC but even that has some issues. The problem is that the mfrs have pushed this improved video technology before the connectivity issues have been worked out and standardized. Again, as I mentioned, what kind of CAT-6 cable are you terminating with HDBT? Are you using CAT-6 ethernet patch cable or are you using actual solid core, non-CCS (Copper Coated Steel) CAT-6?
post #520 of 523 Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Some are turning to FOC but even that has some issues. The problem is that the mfrs have pushed this improved video technology before the connectivity issues have been worked out and standardized. Again, as I mentioned, what kind of CAT-6 cable are you terminating with HDBT? Are you using CAT-6 ethernet patch cable or are you using actual solid core, non-CCS (Copper Coated Steel) CAT-6?
Not sure honestly .. The jackets are unmarked so I assume it's standard cat6a that would be used for data applications .

What options do you think exist for this setup ?
post #521 of 523 Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1977 View Post
Not sure honestly .. The jackets are unmarked so I assume it's standard cat6a that would be used for data applications .

What options do you think exist for this setup ?
If it's standard ethernet CAT-6 data cable it could be the cable. Solid core CAT-6/7, non-CCS, is usually sold in spools of 50', 100', etc and is not terminated at the ends. You can use it to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with a punch-down keystone jack which results in a standard ethernet connection or you can extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. Solid core wires are individually insulated, are solid copper, and a thicker gauge than standard CAT-6 ethernet cable.
post #522 of 523 Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
If it's standard ethernet CAT-6 data cable it could be the cable. Solid core CAT-6/7, non-CCS, is usually sold in spools of 50', 100', etc and is not terminated at the ends. You can use it to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with a punch-down keystone jack which results in a standard ethernet connection or you can extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. Solid core wires are individually insulated, are solid copper, and a thicker gauge than standard CAT-6 ethernet cable.
It definitely was from a spool and terminated on the spot. Are you suggesting we can instead of using hdbaseT at the ends connect them to hmdi adapters ? I would definitely try that.

We actually have two cat6 to each location and drop so we can experiment
post #523 of 523 Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Asking you experts here. Just got sony 45es projector so I need longer HDMI cable. I need 50 feet straight from Panny bdt500 player to the sony 45es for video only. Would I be better off getting Mediabridge Ultra series 50 foot passive cable, Monoprice 50 foot Cabernet or active cable, or the Monoprice 75 foot slim run fiber optic hdmi cable. I don't mind extra 20 feet or so since I can hide it, just want to know which is best route to take for 50-60 foot with least amount of issues. Thanks.

Speakers: Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
Audio Gear: Rotel 1075 amplifier, Rotel 1068 pre/pro
Power conditioner: Monster
Cables: Bluejeans, MasterCable, BetterCables, Sewell Direct, Monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page