Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #511 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Monoprice still following this thread? I'm currently on chat with monoprice for the second time now on a 60ft redmere cable that has failed. These things are only lasting what 3 months at best. All of a sudden one day the pic and vid just goes away and I get no response out of the display. What's worse is I have this cable ran under my house from our office to our living room tv. So I have to climb under the house not once but twice since I have to mail this piece of junk back on my dime. This is two cables now I'm having to pay to ship back.

This issue you found from Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables (Post 4 on this topic) apparently isn't really corrected from several years ago or it is a new problem that has developed. You sent new cables out then with out requiring a return shipment. It would be nice if you would realize there is a problem with the current design also and treat it like you did 4 years ago.

Last edited by scgt1; 02-22-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 945
http://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact

IMHO... ask for a refund, return the cable and look for a 60' active HDMI alternative or perhaps another solution (IE, Cat6 HDbT...)
post #513 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi
Is there a redmere cable with 50ft length for 4K with HDR support ? Is it 18gps or higher ? I have one 50ft for 1080p with 10gps. I love it . It is quite thin. Thanks
post #514 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
http://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=contact

IMHO... ask for a refund, return the cable and look for a 60' active HDMI alternative or perhaps another solution (IE, Cat6 HDbT...)
I've already contact the support department and started the wheels rolling for another replacement as my message stated. The point is these have a design flaw and they replaced them in the past totally free of charge. They should do the same now. (IE Not charging the customer to send a defective product back) I'm currently running a blue cat 5 cable through my house taped to the walls using hdmi converter boxes. I would just permanently run the cat cable under the house but and use this equipment but they boxes aren't 4k compliant only 1080P. I doubt Monoprice will refund my purchase since it has been almost a year since my initial purchase let alone several months since the replacement. 5/29/15 was the first cable purchase.
post #515 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Well... since you've had bad luck with the last set of active cables, as I suggested, look towards a different vendor and/or an alternative.

As for Cat5......... for 4K requirements, you may want to consider solid core Cat6 cables and the appropriate converters as opposed to being frustrated and save shipping costs for returns.
post #516 of 531 Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I'm curious as to what the poster means by CAT-5. Is he referring to CAT-5 ethernet patch cable or actual CAT-5 solid core cable (non-CCS) cable which he has to terminate himself. CAT-6/7 solid core would be a better choice as Ratman suggested.
post #517 of 531 Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 139
For an 'installed' situation HDMI over CAT is the better option every time.

As above you will want solid core, non-CCA CAT6.

Joe

PS Run 2x CAT6!
crash1977 likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #518 of 531 Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
For an 'installed' situation HDMI over CAT is the better option every time.

As above you will want solid core, non-CCA CAT6.

Joe

PS Run 2x CAT6!
How exactly is this accomplished ? I have hmdi running over cat6 that are supplied and terminated via hdbaseT. HdbaseT cannot do 18gbps or pass HDR at the moment .

Is there another technology that allows for full 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps over cat6 ?
post #519 of 531 Old 03-06-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1977 View Post
How exactly is this accomplished ? I have hmdi running over cat6 that are supplied and terminated via hdbaseT. HdbaseT cannot do 18gbps or pass HDR at the moment .

Is there another technology that allows for full 4K 4:4:4 @60 fps over cat6 ?
Some are turning to FOC but even that has some issues. The problem is that the mfrs have pushed this improved video technology before the connectivity issues have been worked out and standardized. Again, as I mentioned, what kind of CAT-6 cable are you terminating with HDBT? Are you using CAT-6 ethernet patch cable or are you using actual solid core, non-CCS (Copper Coated Steel) CAT-6?
post #520 of 531 Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Some are turning to FOC but even that has some issues. The problem is that the mfrs have pushed this improved video technology before the connectivity issues have been worked out and standardized. Again, as I mentioned, what kind of CAT-6 cable are you terminating with HDBT? Are you using CAT-6 ethernet patch cable or are you using actual solid core, non-CCS (Copper Coated Steel) CAT-6?
Not sure honestly .. The jackets are unmarked so I assume it's standard cat6a that would be used for data applications .

What options do you think exist for this setup ?
post #521 of 531 Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1977 View Post
Not sure honestly .. The jackets are unmarked so I assume it's standard cat6a that would be used for data applications .

What options do you think exist for this setup ?
If it's standard ethernet CAT-6 data cable it could be the cable. Solid core CAT-6/7, non-CCS, is usually sold in spools of 50', 100', etc and is not terminated at the ends. You can use it to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with a punch-down keystone jack which results in a standard ethernet connection or you can extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. Solid core wires are individually insulated, are solid copper, and a thicker gauge than standard CAT-6 ethernet cable.
post #522 of 531 Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
If it's standard ethernet CAT-6 data cable it could be the cable. Solid core CAT-6/7, non-CCS, is usually sold in spools of 50', 100', etc and is not terminated at the ends. You can use it to extend an ethernet connection by terminating with a punch-down keystone jack which results in a standard ethernet connection or you can extend an HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. Solid core wires are individually insulated, are solid copper, and a thicker gauge than standard CAT-6 ethernet cable.
It definitely was from a spool and terminated on the spot. Are you suggesting we can instead of using hdbaseT at the ends connect them to hmdi adapters ? I would definitely try that.

We actually have two cat6 to each location and drop so we can experiment
post #523 of 531 Old 08-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Asking you experts here. Just got sony 45es projector so I need longer HDMI cable. I need 50 feet straight from Panny bdt500 player to the sony 45es for video only. Would I be better off getting Mediabridge Ultra series 50 foot passive cable, Monoprice 50 foot Cabernet or active cable, or the Monoprice 75 foot slim run fiber optic hdmi cable. I don't mind extra 20 feet or so since I can hide it, just want to know which is best route to take for 50-60 foot with least amount of issues. Thanks.

Main theater: 5.2 Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: 5.1 Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #524 of 531 Old 10-01-2016, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am getting ready to purchase some HDMI cables to replace my current rat's nest of various length and speed cables behind my entertainment center. I have a 4K TV that supports 4:4:4, a receiver that passes it through, and an HTPC with HDMI 2.0a (GTX 950). I was looking at replacing all of my cables with some of the Monoprice 6 ft 18 Gbps Slim Run HDMI cables that have the Redmere chips in them, but I am a little hesitant because the idea of cleaning up a dirty signal makes me uncomfortable. Is there any evidence at all showing that these cables will degrade picture or audio quality when you are truly maxing out the bandwidth of an 18 Gbps HDMI cable (2160p, 60hz, 4:4:4 chroma)?

Living Room: Samsung UN65KS8000FXZA
PC Monitor: Sony XBR-43X800D
Receiver: Denon AVR-S720W
Sources: HTPC | PS4 | PS3 | Xbox 360 | Xbox | Dreamcast
Control: Logitech Harmony 650
post #525 of 531 Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ the only advantage of active cables (with Redmere technology) is that you can push the signal over distances longer than 25' and still maintain the signal integrity (timing, error correction, etc). There is no "cleaning up" of the signal. Either it works or it doesn't. The other advantage of Redmere cables is that the AWG is thinner so there is more flexibility in the cable. All of this is achieved by the cable drawing a little power from the sink end (tv or receiver).

Using an active cable for a 6' run is an overkill. However, to be honest, I use Redmere cables at that length but I purchased them for the thinness, not the technology. Most people won't have an issues pushing 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz with a good quality passive High Speed HDMI cable. AWG is also important. At 6', I'd look for a passive cable that is 24AWG. Just keep in mind the bend radius cause you don't want to crimp the cable or put excessive pressure on the HDMI inputs.

The chipsets required for active cables are slowly being upgraded to adequately handle 18Gbps reliably. That is also true for the hardware devices. Cables can not be upgraded via firmware and only some devices can. The problem is you don't know which versions the devices or cables have. I would think that most devices (tv's, receivers, etc) recently purchased are current, but anything over a year old and certainly two, may not be.

If your cables are easily accessible, I'd look for a passive 6' Premium High Speed HDMI cable. The name "Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" is used to designate that the cable has been tested and certified by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) which uses the standardized certification program designed and implemented by HDMI Licensing. The cable, if authentic, will come with some sort of label or certificate of authenticity. That's about the only assurance you have that all of the HDIM 2.0a hardware specifications have been met. However, that is not a 100% guarantee because everyone's equipment and setups are different. You may have to try a couple of different cables before you find one that meets your expectations. Hence the question about easy access to your cables.
oRSpetsnaz likes this.
post #526 of 531 Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
^^^^ the only advantage of active cables (with Redmere technology) is that you can push the signal over distances longer than 25' and still maintain the signal integrity (timing, error correction, etc). There is no "cleaning up" of the signal. Either it works or it doesn't. The other advantage of Redmere cables is that the AWG is thinner so there is more flexibility in the cable. All of this is achieved by the cable drawing a little power from the sink end (tv or receiver).

Using an active cable for a 6' run is an overkill. However, to be honest, I use Redmere cables at that length but I purchased them for the thinness, not the technology. Most people won't have an issues pushing 4k, 4:4:4 @60Hz with a good quality passive High Speed HDMI cable. AWG is also important. At 6', I'd look for a passive cable that is 24AWG. Just keep in mind the bend radius cause you don't want to crimp the cable or put excessive pressure on the HDMI inputs.

The chipsets required for active cables are slowly being upgraded to adequately handle 18Gbps reliably. That is also true for the hardware devices. Cables can not be upgraded via firmware and only some devices can. The problem is you don't know which versions the devices or cables have. I would think that most devices (tv's, receivers, etc) recently purchased are current, but anything over a year old and certainly two, may not be.

If your cables are easily accessible, I'd look for a passive 6' Premium High Speed HDMI cable. The name "Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" is used to designate that the cable has been tested and certified by an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) which uses the standardized certification program designed and implemented by HDMI Licensing. The cable, if authentic, will come with some sort of label or certificate of authenticity. That's about the only assurance you have that all of the HDIM 2.0a hardware specifications have been met. However, that is not a 100% guarantee because everyone's equipment and setups are different. You may have to try a couple of different cables before you find one that meets your expectations. Hence the question about easy access to your cables.
Thank you for the response. I decided that I am just going to pull the trigger on them and see for myself. I only have my HTPC and receiver that actually require a full 18Gbps HDMI cable for my use, so I am just going to say screw it. The only reason I am looking at these is that you can see the back of my entertainment center every time you walk into my place and anything I can do to clean up that rat's nest makes me feel better.

Living Room: Samsung UN65KS8000FXZA
PC Monitor: Sony XBR-43X800D
Receiver: Denon AVR-S720W
Sources: HTPC | PS4 | PS3 | Xbox 360 | Xbox | Dreamcast
Control: Logitech Harmony 650
post #527 of 531 Old 10-04-2016, 04:13 AM
etp

And recommendations for 9 and 12 feet. 6 feet does not give you room to move equipment around while connected.

ETP
post #528 of 531 Old 10-04-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why would ever want to move equipment while connected? You're just asking for trouble. Depending on what you are trying to push, a good quality passive high speed HDMI cable may work well if you don't mind a thicker gauge wire. In not, there are lots of active cables in the 15' range that will probably work. You just need to find the one that works best for you.
post #529 of 531 Old 10-08-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home theater cables

Hello,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I still wanted to add one the latest great place to find home theater cables.

I recently found this website : edwinhome .com
Their prices are a bit higher, but they deliver great professionnal products. All cables I received are industrial grades with good connectors.

If you're looking for in-wall cables, this is the place to go, since most products are fire rated for in-wall installations.
A lot of Monoprice cables I've bought were not fire rated and therefore doesn't comply with building regulations.
post #530 of 531 Old 10-08-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^ Nope. Just another dealer selling cables that are a bit overpriced. Lots of dealers like Monoprice, BJC, etc. sell HDMI cables with CL2/CL3 ratings. There aren't any detailed cable descriptions that I could find other than "provides high speed and supports ethernet". Pretty much all high speed hdmi cables support ethernet, which is nice, only there are no consumer devices that take advantage of that HDMI hardware spec. What does "high speed" mean? 8.91Gbps, 10.2Gbps, 18Gbps? The best places to look for HDMI cables (passive or active) is Monoprice, BJC, MediaBridge, etc.
post #531 of 531 Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So with the redmere cables, if I use one from device to avr should I then not use one from the AVR to the TV? I ask because they show this warning

"Note also that only one Active HDMI cable should be present in any single cable run, even if using a switch, splitter, or matrix. Connecting multiple active HDMI cables in series will cause them to fail to reliably transmit the video signal because each is trying to do the same thing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World