Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does it matter at which end you position the 'Black Hole' - also my house is on a lay line will that have any affect?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Does it matter at which end you position the 'Black Hole' - also my house is on a lay line will that have any affect?

Joe

Absolutely - the direction is very important. If you don't adhere to the correct direction with regards to the black hole, the bits will reach the sink before they are created by the source. Very bad mojo since you could end-up seeing TV episodes before they are filmed.

Not a problem with the lay line since it won't be there anymore after you install one of these cables!
post #93 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Baron Blood - had to check the date there, thought April 1st had arrived early smile.gif

Where are you hearing the Echo?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Right now I have my Oppo95 connected to my TV through HDMI.
I want to get some powered monitors to connect to my Oppo through the XLR outputs.

I'm using the YAS101 soundbar right now (which will be returned) connected through the optical output of the Oppo and the sound is not in sync with the TV when the TV speakers are on..I'm not sure which one is lagging (sp?)

The reason why I'm concerned about syncing is IF the voices get drowned with the monitors I'd like to turn up the volume of the TV.
post #94 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Absolutely - the direction is very important. If you don't adhere to the correct direction with regards to the black hole, the bits will reach the sink before they are created by the source. Very bad mojo since you could end-up seeing TV episodes before they are filmed.

Not a problem with the lay line since it won't be there anymore after you install one of these cables!

*raspberry*

wink.gif
post #95 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

*raspberry*

wink.gif
post #96 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hello Baron Blood

That is never going to work (without another piece of hardware) and has nothing to do with your choice of HDMI cable.

The Oppo is outputting the HDMI (Video + Audio) signal ‘in sync’ with the XLR audio – the problem then is every TV/Display on the market has on-board video processing and that Processing takes time (variable depending on what processes you switch On/Off on the TV) so unless you can ‘delay’ the XLR signal by the same amount of time you are always going to have an ‘echo’.

I’d also ask why you would want TV audio at the same time as the powered Monitor audio – it’ll sound horrible, In-sync or not!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #97 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

Hi Joe,

Right now I have my Oppo95 connected to my TV through HDMI.
I want to get some powered monitors to connect to my Oppo through the XLR outputs.

I'm using the YAS101 soundbar right now (which will be returned) connected through the optical output of the Oppo and the sound is not in sync with the TV when the TV speakers are on..I'm not sure which one is lagging (sp?)

The reason why I'm concerned about syncing is IF the voices get drowned with the monitors I'd like to turn up the volume of the TV.

I have to agree with Joe. The OPPO BDP-95 is one of the best audio Blu-Ray players on the market (and its still available). It has incredibly good DACs.

So hooking up powered monitors, unless you are using these for studio work, seems a waste. Powered speakers very rarely have the headroom needed to do justice for these DACs. Current day TV speakers are even worse. It's hard to imagine a worse sound than current day TV speakers (perhaps a close'n'play record player, for those who remember that era).

However, you didn't ask us that. So, yes you would need a device that has a variable audio sync hooked up to just the output that has the sync issue. If you try to use the OPPO for changing the sync, then that would likely be applied to all audio outputs. The only thing you have going for you is that the XLR outputs are analog. Therefore you just need an analog delay circuit. Actually you would need an analog delay circuit * 7 (one for each channel).

Unfortunately, changing one audio output is going to change all audio outputs within the OPPO. Changing the video sync is also going to throw off the other audio outputs.

If you still want to pursue this let us know 1) your budget and 2) what all of the audio and video outputs for the BDP-95 are connected to. For instance, HDMI1 goes to ____, HDMI2 goes to ____, analog audio outputs go to powered speakers, digital audio goes to _____, etc It's the only way we can figure out where you could compensate for a delay.
post #98 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the relpies, guys.

I think I'm gonna give up on syncing.
I was just concerned about some monitors I'm looking to buy (Airmotiv 4) getting voices lost in the mix.

Right now I'm testing the Yamaha YAS101 soundbar as I don't want a full 5.1 system in my apartment.
Unfortunately it sounds horrible with CDS so with a little research I found people are saying great things about the EMOTIVA PRO AIRMOTIV 4 powered monitors and they're just $100.00 more.
I figured why not have something in the $400.00 price range that will not only improve the sound with my Panny but also give passable sound with CDs?

I know the Oppo is capable of much more but my McIntosh system is in the closet at my present location due to space.
post #99 of 384 Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

alk3997,
what is CEC in the PS3? Maybe that was the culprit, but I don't know what it is/or does....

Sorry I got sidetracked on answering you. CEC is a code in the HDMI signal that allows one device to power-off another device using the HDMI cable. Volume control can also be controlled this way.

But, getting to your real question. I doubt CEC would cause the problem but it is something to disable to make sure along with Deep Color.

What I think you have is a cable problem. Have you tried 1080i or 720p resolution from the Blu-Ray player and does that work? This would only be as a test to confirm it is a cable bandwidth issue. If 1080i / 720p works, then the problem is likely that your DVI cable can't handle the bandwidth that the Blu-Ray player is sending out (which is why it only happens with the Blu-Ray player).

Read up on High Speed HDMI cables versus Standard Speed HDMI cables and that should help explain. Your DVI cable is likely only able to carry Standard Speed signals.
post #100 of 384 Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Glad I found this thread. Just ordered a few of the super slim redmere cables.

I originally wanted to do the following:

Ps3 with Redmere cable->Onkyo SR604
Xbox with Redmere cable->Onkyo SR604
Onkyo SR604 HDMI out with Redmere cable-> Pan tc-p60gt50

From what I'm reading, this would not be a good idea due to multiple redmere cables in the chain? These are relatively short runs (6 to 10' at most) and get Redmere tech doesn't get me much in this application, but I like the thinness of the cables.

I also only have 2 HDMI in on the Onkyo receiver so I'd have to connect my other HDMI source (fios box) directly to the TV.

Does this mean it would be better to:

[xbox/ps3/Fios] with Redmere->GT50->Optical cable->Onkyo?

Would this not limit my sound options?

Or should I got with standard HDMI cables to the onkyo and then from the Onkyo use a Redmere cable to the GT50?

Been researching this up and can't get a clear answer anywhere.

Thanks.
post #101 of 384 Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaxv View Post

Or should I got with standard HDMI cables to the onkyo and then from the Onkyo use a Redmere cable to the GT50?

Thanks.

Let's start with the audio question. Using optical cables (or digital S/PDIF coax cables) will limit you to the following: Dolby Digital, DTS, and LPCM (2 channel 48/16 or 44.1/16). Anything else such as Dolby True HD, DTS-HD MA or multichannel LPCM or PPCM is beyond the capacity of these types of cables. However, your SR604 is a bit old and so it doesn't have the ability to process Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA but can process multichannel LPCM over HDMI.

Now for some things like a cable or satellite box, it doesn't matter since they can't output the high resolution audio codecs anyway. For a PS3 that can play Blu-Ray discs, it matters. The only way to get those High Resolution audio codecs out of a PS3 is through HDMI and then you'll have to set the PS3 to output LPCM only.

As far as multiple Redmere cables going into the Onkyo, I think your best bet is to try it. Between the older receiver and the new Redmeres, I'm really not sure what will happen. You'll know within 10 minutes if it is working just by checking the picture and listening to the audio. Make sure you get a good return policy if it doesn't work. If it were a newer receiver I'd be more inclinded to say it should work, but I'm not sure with the SR604.

Good luck and if you decide to try it out, please let us know the results.
post #102 of 384 Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaxv View Post

From what I'm reading, this would not be a good idea due to multiple redmere cables in the chain? These are relatively short runs (6 to 10' at most) and get Redmere tech doesn't get me much in this application, but I like the thinness of the cables.

I also only have 2 HDMI in on the Onkyo receiver so I'd have to connect my other HDMI source (fios box) directly to the TV.

Does this mean it would be better to:

[xbox/ps3/Fios] with Redmere->GT50->Optical cable->Onkyo?

Thanks.

I've got quadruple stacked Redmere cables, and it works. For example, Blu-Ray player >>> switch >>> DVDO EDGE >>> wireless HDMI sender >>> primary TV (secondary is wirelessly connected to the other end of the wireless HDMI thingy, which causes the whole HDMI system to be a little buggy, but not too bad, only occasional dropouts). The DVDO EDGE and Switch aggregate all the sources, and then the EDGE sends the audio to the AVR, and the video to the TV through the wireless sender. It's set so that when the AVR is off, the audio goes to the wireless sender, so that I can have audio on the second TV (the kitchen is open to the living room, so I wouldn't want both to be on at the same time).

Next time around, when I get a new place, the wireless HDMI sender thing probably won't be part of the picture, as it's problematic.
post #103 of 384 Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Next time around, when I get a new place, the wireless HDMI sender thing probably won't be part of the picture, as it's problematic.

You might consider putting some comments about the "wireless HDMI sender thing" in this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398632/wireless-hdmi-101-rookie/30#post_23062863, if you haven't already. There are always a lot of questions about these since there is no standard way to send wireless HD signals (with HDMI connectors) and people are curious about the experiences of those who have tried one.
post #104 of 384 Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Recently got around to buying a 3d capable receiver. Previously I was running toslink cable from my 3d bluray player and 3d media boxes to my non 3d receiver and have my projector connected up via a 50ft hdmi cable (monoprice 22awg silver plated cl2). This seemed to work fine, although I know I was way over spec of the cable. Now with the pass through of the receiver I'm seeing breakup and freezing of fast paced 3d motion. I have 6ft redmeres running to the receiver and still the 50ft cable running from the receiver to the projector. I was thinking about swapping out the 50ft 22awg with a 40ft redmere from monoprice. However I'm not sure how well that will work. I'm assuming a passthrough receiver can't provide power to amp the signal? Although my yamaha 4065 does have an overlay on the hdmi signal, so maybe it will work.

Anyways, just wondering if anybody has done a daisy chain of red mere through a receiver for 3d 1080p and at any decent cable length? I'm debating buying another redmere or picking up the dvdo air for that last leg, and obviously would prefer the much cheaper cable option.
post #105 of 384 Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM

A lot of people think exactly what you are thinking when they get these errors - that there isn't enough power. It's not necessarily a signal power problem, which is what is implied with "amp'ing" the signal. It's more likely a cable equalization problem where the chipset isn't providing a signal that is compatible with that length of cable. The result of this is that the square waves that represent the 1s and 0s becomes round so that the transitions between the bits aren't easy to detect. So, you end up with errors and since there is not error correction on the video or audio, the errors become obvious. Adding more power would just distort the signal further in this case. There are instances where adding more power helps but it isn't always the case.

My one concern with what you wrote has nothing to do with Redmere. It's that you said you were only seeing this on "fast paced 3d motion". HDMI is a non-compressed video signal. Therefore whether it's fast paced or not should not cause errors. It's the same amount of bits no matter what the content (assuming the same resolution). So, that makes me wonder if you don't have a different problem not related to HDMI.

But, assuming it is an HDMI problem, yes the 50' cable would certainly be a possibility. More likely is that your new receiver has an option enabled that is eating up more bandwidth than your previous direct route. Is it possible that the new receiver has Deep Color enabled whereas the Blu-Ray player only did not?

Now (finally) answering your actual question, I'd certainly think with a new receiver that a 40ft Redmere would work well. If not I'd try replacing the 6 foot Redmeres and just using the 40ft one. Easy to find High Speed 6 foot passive HDMI cables unlike the 40 foot version.
post #106 of 384 Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM

Ive heard that the Redmere HDMI cable can cause problems over a long distance. I would just stick with the HDMI cable that you are already using
post #107 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy1975 View Post

Ive heard that the Redmere HDMI cable can cause problems over a long distance. I would just stick with the HDMI cable that you are already using

Really? What have you heard since one of the main benefits of Redmere is to go longer distances?

On your fourth append, you might try including some actual facts with your statements and not just inuendo. Facts really help these discussions.

I've heard that newbie forum members cause problems over a long distance but that doesn't mean we'll stop listening to them either...
post #108 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daWill View Post

However I'm not sure how well that will work. I'm assuming a passthrough receiver can't provide power to amp the signal? Although my yamaha 4065 does have an overlay on the hdmi signal, so maybe it will work.
RedMere cables draw most of their power from the sink device (display). So passthrough at the AVR is a non-issue.
post #109 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Really? What have you heard since one of the main benefits of Redmere is to go longer distances?

On your fourth append, you might try including some actual facts with your statements and not just inuendo. Facts really help these discussions.

I've heard that newbie forum members cause problems over a long distance but that doesn't mean we'll stop listening to them either...

He made 3 posts, all of which he embedded a link for an HDMI vendor. I think we know what direction he's going.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #110 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

He made 3 posts, all of which he embedded a link for an HDMI vendor. I think we know what direction he's going.

You're quick biggrin.gif I noticed that as well. He's also talking about "HDMI 1.4" cables in the HDTV forum as well rolleyes.gif Maybe Australia didn't get the memo about HDMI branding.
post #111 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Got my 10 Monoprice Redmere cables yesterday. Both 6 & 3 footers. Every working great except the cheap A/B HDMI switch (passive). Coming out from Oppo-83 to switch, does not seem to pass through the signal. Using a standard HDMI cable to the switch, two Redmeres on the output sides do work. Tried reversing the same cable, as we'll as swapping as a test, no difference. Odd. Not a big deal, otherwise these super THIN cables are great and took all the stress off my devices HDMI ports!
post #112 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Don't the Redmere cables require some sort of power to operate as designed and are uni-directional only (follow the arrow on the cable from source to sink). It sounds like there isn't a power source if you're using a passive A/B switch as the "source". I too will be switching to Redmere cables when we remodel the family room.
post #113 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Don't the Redmere cables require some sort of power to operate as designed and are uni-directional only (follow the arrow on the cable from source to sink). It sounds like there isn't a power source if you're using a passive A/B switch as the "source". I too will be switching to Redmere cables when we remodel the family room.

Indeed they need power, but my source is the Oppo-83 Blueray deck, and the Redmeres going out of the splitter work fine but only if a traditional HDMI cable is used from the deck TO the splitter. I think it must be something inside the splitter itself. Power does not seem to be the issue if the Remeres work after the splitter and as originally stated I tried them in both directions. Otherwise all my other connections are working fine.
post #114 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

XIndeed they need power, but my source is the Oppo-83 Blueray deck, and the Redmeres going out of the splitter work fine but only if a traditional HDMI cable is used from the deck TO the splitter. I think it must be something inside the splitter itself. Power does not seem to be the issue if the Remeres work after the splitter and as originally stated I tried them in both directions. Otherwise all my other connections are working fine.

You need a powered switch not passive. As I posted above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

RedMere cables draw most of their power from the sink device.
post #115 of 384 Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

You need a powered switch not passive. As I posted above:

Thanks, I think I'll keep the one regular HDMI cable in line as I like avoiding adding a "powered" switch. Just using the splitter in reverse mode as it bi-directional. This way I can send the Oppo's output to either my AVR or my Sony surround headphones then directly to the VT50 display, there are audio benefits in this setup, and its a one button press.
post #116 of 384 Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a powered Monoprice switch, and it works fine with the Redmere cables.
post #117 of 384 Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe I read somewhere, maybe here, that these Redmere's don't like to be "daisy chained", and I think that must be my issue with a "passive" A/B switch.
post #118 of 384 Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:

RedMere cable are all I use and I'm using two splitters as well. Like your switch the splitters are powered so no issues.
post #119 of 384 Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

I believe I read somewhere, maybe here, that these Redmere's don't like to be "daisy chained", and I think that must be my issue with a "passive" A/B switch.

Yeah, must be. It would make sense since there are little chips in there. I'm running them stacked 4 deep for several of my sources that aren't connected directly to my DVDO EDGE, but everything in the chain is powered, so it's not an issue.
post #120 of 384 Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM

These cables work great for me! Love the slim form factor. Haven't tested out the ethernet channel or audio return channel since I don't have equipment that supports that yet. Great thing with Monoprice other than cheap prices is that they replace cables if they fail, for life. Cables do fail with time, especially if you move them around like me biggrin.gif

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page