Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 384 Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using a 10' Ultra-slim Redmere for about a year and it's worked great, I'm about to order several more, but I noticed this line at the end of an Amazon review for a Vizio M series TV:
... "In a high-end system, best quality achieved with a passive (non Redmere) HDMI shielded cable"

I'm assuming this guy just doesn't like Redmere's, but can anyone think of why someone would say this as part of a HDTV review?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 384 Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post

...can anyone think of why someone would say this as part of a HDTV review?
Because he doesn't know what he is talking about? As long as you are not getting sparkles or worse, the picture is as good as it gets.

I prefer passive cables when they will work. It isn't about picture quality. They are just cheaper and don't have any electronics in them that can fail.
post #183 of 384 Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

I prefer passive cables when they will work. It isn't about picture quality. They are just cheaper and don't have any electronics in them that can fail.

I agree, "less is more", but the flexibility, lack of bulk, ease of routing, and practically strain free connection has me seduced.
ScottJ likes this.
post #184 of 384 Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I agree, "less is more", but the flexibility, lack of bulk, ease of routing, and practically strain free connection has me seduced.

I installed 2 22 gage 25 foot Monoprices just before the red's came out and at first was thinking bummer because they are so stiff and I did not pull the coil out of them so in the end there is no tension. After some time and reading and thought on it I am glad to have used the big fat 22's because I would sure hate to have to pull out a bad chipped RED.
post #185 of 384 Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Those are the reasons why I'm using them as well. But my cables are not in-wall and easily accessible so if a chip does go bad, it's an easy fix, and my runs are no longer than 10'.
post #186 of 384 Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 13
My home theater installer connected a 30ft ultra slim redmere between my projector (JVC RS4810) and my AV receiver which has all my devices connected to it. I can watch 1080i and 720p programming with no issues. However it can't seem to handle 1080p. When I try watching a bluray the picture will flicker and then lose signal.
post #187 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by nflguy View Post

My home theater installer connected a 30ft ultra slim redmere between my projector (JVC RS4810) and my AV receiver which has all my devices connected to it. I can watch 1080i and 720p programming with no issues. However it can't seem to handle 1080p. When I try watching a bluray the picture will flicker and then lose signal.
I understand asking here, but why haven't you already contacted your "home theater installer"? It's hard to judge the installation you have without more information.

It could be the cable, or it could be settings in any of the components in the Blu-ray signal path.
post #188 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I understand asking here, but why haven't you already contacted your "home theater installer"? It's hard to judge the installation you have without more information.

It could be the cable, or it could be settings in any of the components in the Blu-ray signal path.

This happened during installation and the installer didnt know why. He assumed it was a bad cable and said he would get another one. The new cable he brought only displays a picture if it's connected but slightly unplugged. If its plugged in tight there is no picture.
post #189 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds more like a connector problem than a cable problem.
post #190 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

This happened during installation and the installer didnt know why. He assumed it was a bad cable and said he would get another one. The new cable he brought only displays a picture if it's connected but slightly unplugged. If its plugged in tight there is no picture.
Does your installer know that the Redmere cables are directional?
post #191 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does your installer know that the Redmere cables are directional?

I thought about that but then he indicated that it only works when "slightly" plugged in as opposed to firmly in place. All of my Redmere cables are firmly in place.
post #192 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Yes he knows and the cable is clearly marked. I connected a bluray player directly to my tv with that cable and it displayed 1080p with no issues. So the problem is either the AVR or the projector.
post #193 of 384 Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes he knows and the cable is clearly marked. I connected a bluray player directly to my tv with that cable and it displayed 1080p with no issues. So the problem is either the AVR or the projector.
That makes sense.
post #194 of 384 Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 AM

After confirming my 39ft redmere ultra slim worked I decided to connect the blueray player directly to the projector. Still had same problem ; distorted. Snowy image and would blink on and off.

I was told sometimes an HDMI cable can work fine on one device and not another so who knows .

I then connected the bluray player directly to the projector with a 6ft HDMI and the projector had no problem displaying a 1080p image.

So now I'm going to get another 30ft HDMI and see if that solves issue
post #195 of 384 Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

After confirming my 39ft redmere ultra slim worked I decided to connect the blueray player directly to the projector. Still had same problem ; distorted. Snowy image and would blink on and off.

I was told sometimes an HDMI cable can work fine on one device and not another so who knows .

You might also try different inputs on the projector. I know on my 4810 the HDMI2 input works with some cables when HDMI1 won't.
post #196 of 384 Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 10
Just my 2 cents. The Redmere is absolutely great for certain situations.

I have a very long run (80 feet, 22ga) in wall standard hdmi cable (Wall plate = AV Reciever = Wall plate = TV). This was probably right at the edge of working because anytime I connected my laptop to the wall plate with anything less than a thick patch cable I would get speckles and flickering. I tried several standard thin hdmi cables but all caused speckles....the Redmere worked great.

Like others have said, if you don't have speckles the Redmere won't make much difference, but for certain applications they are great alternative.
post #197 of 384 Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

80' for a passive standard HDMI cable is really pushing the limit for HDTV. Passive high speed HDMI is only certified for 25', that's why some use either Redmere for those long lengths or install Cat-6 in a conduit and then switch that to HDMI.
post #198 of 384 Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM

Yes, as the passive cables get longer you're playing more of an odds game. At some point above xx feet for each cable, there is a distance that can't handle the full bandwidth for HDMI. That could be 26 feet for a really good cable or it could be 3 feet for a not so good cable.

Luckily, the current HDMI implementation doesn't require the maximum bandwidth. 1080p/60 doesn't even come close. So, that pushes that distance out since the distance before bit errors occur is inversely proportional to the bandwidth of the signal. Bigger bandwidth, less distance before errors for a given cable (everything else being equal).

So when we are using standard speed cables, we are simply trading bandwidth for distance. Lower the bandwidth by disabling Deep Color or using 1080i and you'll gain more distance. However, when consumers want to go to 4K, (I predict) many people who thought they had a high speed cable are going to find out they really didn't and we're going to get some mighty "interesting" appends out here. Of course, that assumes 4K catches on.
post #199 of 384 Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 PM

80 feet is very long and I wouldn't recommend it as your main run. This is my couch potato run using my laptop for occassional movies or youtube or when I cannot stream content via AppleTV. My main AV equipment is much closer to the TV.

Off topic and I could be wrong but I'm not sure consumers are clamouring for even greater AV quality standards.
post #200 of 384 Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,
I have a quick question that I think may have been addressed earlier in this thread but I'm still a bit uncertain.

I have been using a 30' Monoprice Redmere cable for over a year without any issues going from a 5-port Kinivo HDMI switch to my Epson 8350 projector.

I recently moved and now require a 50 foot (at least) cable to go around the walls from one side of the room to the other and up to the mount.

My question is whether I need to buy a 50' cable new from Monoprice or can I use an HDMI coupler and tie together a shorter (and cheaper) Redmere cable to my current cable to get the needed additional length.

I will also be adding in a Darblet into the chain after the switch so that may or may not cause issues.

Alternatively, could I use a regular 10' HDMI cable from the Darblet to an HDMI coupler and then onwards with the 30' Redmere I now own?

It will cost nearly a $100 to get the 50' cable from Monoprice up here to Canada so I'd like to explore any cheaper options....

Thanks for any advice!
post #201 of 384 Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdad54 View Post

Hi all,
I have a quick question that I think may have been addressed earlier in this thread but I'm still a bit uncertain.

I have been using a 30' Monoprice Redmere cable for over a year without any issues going from a 5-port Kinivo HDMI switch to my Epson 8350 projector.

I recently moved and now require a 50 foot (at least) cable to go around the walls from one side of the room to the other and up to the mount.

My question is whether I need to buy a 50' cable new from Monoprice or can I use an HDMI coupler and tie together a shorter (and cheaper) Redmere cable to my current cable to get the needed additional length.

I will also be adding in a Darblet into the chain after the switch so that may or may not cause issues.

Alternatively, could I use a regular 10' HDMI cable from the Darblet to an HDMI coupler and then onwards with the 30' Redmere I now own?

It will cost nearly a $100 to get the 50' cable from Monoprice up here to Canada so I'd like to explore any cheaper options....

Thanks for any advice!

Can you put the Darblet in the middle? Buy a 20' Redmere (or other) HDMI to the Darblet, then use your current 30' from there.
post #202 of 384 Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I’d suggest trying the Darblet with your current Source > RedMere cable > Display to ensure the combination works before you spend money on a longer active cable solution.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #203 of 384 Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 14
i bought 2 redmere hdmi cables at 40ft and one of them was bad. i would be cautious. this was for an in-ceiling install and the bad cable was discovered after the fact as it worked on one source (blu-ray) but not on the set-top box for cable/sat.
post #204 of 384 Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

i bought 2 redmere hdmi cables at 40ft and one of them was bad. i would be cautious. this was for an in-ceiling install and the bad cable was discovered after the fact as it worked on one source (blu-ray) but not on the set-top box for cable/sat.

I am having the exact same issue with my 40 foot cable... Works awesome with 1080P 3D blu-ray, but will not work with all 4 dish network sat boxes. Two Joeys and two Hoppers. I guess I need to contact Monoprice and see if they can send out a replacement. I can get Dish to display on my projector if I turn on the internal video processor on my Denon AVR. It seems to boost the signal enough to work with the PJ but it does soften the picture a bit...

Has anyone else had an experience like this with the Redmere cable?

Adam
post #205 of 384 Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Just jumped on the bandwagon, been a BJC user for awhile now. My runs are 6-10ft, but Im just looking for a much more compact cable.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #206 of 384 Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My 50' Monoprice Redmere is working great, but just to offer some alternatives for those seeking a long HDMI run:
  • Kordz NEO S3 HDMI extender attaches to an existing (possibly in-wall) HDMI cable, makes it work better
  • DVDO's Air3 sends uncompressed 1080p60 wirelessly
  • I hear HDBaseT is tha bomb
post #207 of 384 Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

My 50' Monoprice Redmere is working great, but just to offer some alternatives for those seeking a long HDMI run:
  • Kordz NEO S3 HDMI extender attaches to an existing (possibly in-wall) HDMI cable, makes it work better
  • DVDO's Air3 sends uncompressed 1080p60 wirelessly
  • I hear HDBaseT is tha bomb

HDBaseT is certainly an excellent choice. Full HDMI compatibility (HDMI 1.4a).

I looked for reviews and actual user experiences with the Kordz NEO S3 and found nothing. The only thing out there are some promo features and a note about a CEDIA award. So, I'd be cautious about recommending that product until more people have tried it.

The DVDO Air3 is line-of-sight only. It provides uncompressed 1080p/60 (but no higher) however it does not offer a full range of audio codecs. The manual says, "7.1ch HBR/PCM audio up to 192kHz, Dolby/DTS 5.1 up to 48kHz". So no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA HD. It's not a true HDMI solution.
post #208 of 384 Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The DVDO Air3 is line-of-sight only. It provides uncompressed 1080p/60 (but no higher) however it does not offer a full range of audio codecs. The manual says, "7.1ch HBR/PCM audio up to 192kHz, Dolby/DTS 5.1 up to 48kHz". So no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA HD. It's not a true HDMI solution.

Interesting, and I hadn't noticed that. Assuming my goal is to send only video from my receiver to my projector, would that limitation matter?
post #209 of 384 Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Interesting, and I hadn't noticed that. Assuming my goal is to send only video from my receiver to my projector, would that limitation matter?

My first thought is it shouldn't. The audio portion of the EDID will be modified by your AVR. So, whatever the Air3 requests won't be what is sent.

I think my concern would be making sure of line-of-sight and just confirming that the video isn't modified in any way. I suspect (but can't prove) that Deep Color is not supported. However, the lack of Deep Color might be considered a positive since it produces colors that aren't really intended. 3D is supported so, that shouldn't be a concern.
post #210 of 384 Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
‘Just jumped on the bandwagon’ – I fear a lot of folk going down that route!

Kordz NEO S3 is the first implementation of a new chip from Canadian Co. phasHD – I had a look at it last week at CEDIA. It allows you to extend the usable life of installed cables (up to 20m*) using the phaseHD Tx and Rx. I was quoted an SRP of around $350 for a pair – with a release date of Q1 2014!

http://www.phasehd.com/technology

Joe

*30m with the dedicated passive cable if it’s a new install.

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page