AVS Forum banner

Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables

102K views 530 replies 148 participants last post by  Fahrenheit85 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a place to chat about the newest HDMI cable offering from our friends at Monoprice.

I've been excited about these cables and the prospect of removing the heavy and bulky Premium 24AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables that currently make up the majority of my connections. With the exception of one 3M Audioquest Vodka that handles the SC-55 to 58VT25 run.

I recieved my two 6 foot M/P RedMeres this past weekend and ran to the basement to change the BD-93 to SC-55 connection and viola.... nothing, so sound no picture.

Went upstairs and replaced RX-V1800 to PZ80U and viola.....nothing, so sound no picture.

Both brand new cables bad? it cant be, spent a half hour trying different configs, made sure the directional arrows on the cables were right. Nothing.

Had a minute to chat with M/P online today and was promptly told that there is an issue with the cables and that they would be replaced ASAP. I was emailed an RMA very promptly and am overall very pleased with the handling of the situation.

So hopefully this will serve to notify others that there is an issue but M/P is aware and will rectify shortly. I have always had good luck with their products and feel that this issue has been handled well at this point. I will report back when it is resolved along with my thoughts on performance, value and overall happiness.

Cheers,

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello,

It has come to Monoprice’s attention that a few customers who have purchased certain lengths of our new Ultra Slim High Performance HDMI® Cable with RedMere® Technology are experiencing problems with the functioning of the cable. We would like to let you know that we have identified the cause of this problem and are taking the necessary steps to make the needed corrections. All future production runs of these cables are expected to perform normally, and without further defects.

For customers such as yourself that have received cables that are not functioning properly, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Under Monoprice’s lifetime warranty on all of our cables, we will replace your defective unit as soon as possible and at no cost to you. You will not need to return your defective cable – you can simply discard it.

Due to the complex design of these cables and their active chipsets, we unfortunately experienced some slight manufacturing variances with this initial production run; these variances were not discovered until after shipment. Again we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and would like to reiterate that this issue has been identified, isolated, and addressed. We expect no further problems with these products.

Sorry again for the trouble and we appreciate your business.

Regards,

Monoprice Tech Support

#6 ·
I have the 60ft version of this cable. Before running it in the wall and attic (
), I ran it within the room between the projector and video processor....watched one movie no problems. Should I wait a period of usage before installing in my wall or should the initial lack of problems represent no issues going forward (I assume if there was an issue, it would have revealed it self right away). But...better to ask a stupid question, then to make a mistake (by not asking).

Ron

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01  /t/1417609/monoprice-redmere-hdmi-cables#post_22175771

Hello,

Actually, our longer HDMI Redmere cables were not affected by this issue. Anything above 15ft will be just fine so you will have no problems, hope this helps!

Regards,

Monoprice Tech Support

Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed as much...but I am glad to get a confirmation before running through my wall and attic space. With a weather being over 100 outside (and warmer in the attic)...I want to make sure I only have to venture up there with the heat and spiders just once (I hate spiders and I sweat a lot).

#9 ·
What is the release date for the new 6 footers?

#11 ·
I'm currently working on our basement and I'm in the market for a longer run (30-40 foot) to my future projector. I've been periodically checking on the estimated stock dates on Monoprice's site and the dates keep being pushed further and further.

I gave up on waiting for everything to be shipped at the same time, so I ordered what I needed to continue working on the basement. I really hope they are in stock sooner then later.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm  /t/1417609/monoprice-redmere-hdmi-cables#post_22180364

Have you looked on their site?
M/P contacted me via email and gave me an earlier eta than the website listed for warranty replacements.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Hey guys, just wondering, can you still connect a wall plate to these? I would be running a 30 footer in the wall, then have the wall plates to connect them to. Than connect another HDMI from each wall plate to the receiver and projo. Is this ok to do with this cable?

Thanks

#17 ·
Just got my redmere cables from Monoprice. I decided to wait. Running (2) of these and 4 Cat6 cables.

#18 ·
Any updates on RedMere cables or technology?

#19 ·
Works as advertised for me. Just make sure you understand its one directional.

#20 ·
I need to run hdmi behind the wall, but can't because the connectors and/or conventional cables are to bulky and inflexible.

This redmere would be terrific if the wire could be run in the walls without the connector on one end, and then the connector added after the wire is pulled through the wall.

Is there any such cable system using redmere? It seems everything available has the connectors already permanently attached.

BTW I just installed a few 6 foot redmere's from monoprice and they work as advertised. Love the flex in the cable... furniture is able to get closer to the wall and no stress on the cables behind the receiver anymore. : )

#21 ·
A few other people have asked that. There is really no way for the standard installer to put a connector on the end of an HDMI and have it be reliable. You are stuck with running the cable with the ends attached.

It can be done though. I've run HDMI cables with the connectors through 1.5-inch conduit using conduit lubricant and a good snake.. Not easy, but it works.

Of course if you can use Redmere, then that makes things even easier rather than the AWG24 I ran.

#22 ·
Anyone who has replaced Monoprices standard 10' HDMI cables from a few years ago with 10' of the new redmere? Just wondering if they are worth it over a shorter 10' run for video quality or are you just getting the feature of a thinner cable? TIA!

#23 ·
^^^

if your existing cables "work", theres no reason to change them... you can't "improve" over an already working cable...

at 10 feet, it's unlikely you would need to use a redmere cable to get it to "work"...

#25 ·
I would not expect the signal from a 10 foot Redmere to be any different than a signal from a 10 foot passive high speed cable. The only advantage for the 10 foot sized Redmere cable is the thickness of the cable. Why did you change the cables?

For two 25 foot cables with an adapter, the 50 foot Redmere should be an advantage as you start pushing towards the highest speed ratings (10.2 gbps). The disadvantage with Redmere is that there are active components that can fail in the cable (and it costs a bit more).

#26 ·
Does RedMere only reduce thickness or does it also improve quality over long runs?

I have a 2" PVC cable run so the thickness isn't a concern for me, so really what I'm getting at is if there's going to be an improvement over the 24AWG normal HDMI cables from Monoprice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.