HDMI - Surge suppression - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm the owner of a Sony KDL52W5100. It's got 4 HDMI ports and one by one, in the 18 months or so that I've owned the TV, they have all failed. The last one went over the weekend. The symptom is that the TV will not show picture or output sound from the source, however the input selection menu does show the blue icon indicating that something is plugged into the port. It seems like this always happens just after a power outtage, or during a storm. I have taken to unplugging everything whenever I'm not watching television, but I guess this time it had nothing to do with it. I also own a PS3 (my second, as the HDMI port in my first malfunctioned as well) and I own a Sony HT CT100, whose HDMI ports have also burnt out.
The TV is what I'm most interested in getting more information about. Does Sony have a history of very sensitive HDMI ports? Is there anything I can do to prevent this type of thing from happening again?

I've purchased a new bu board to replace the existing one. I've done some searching and I'm hoping to implement a more complete surge protection solution. Unfortunately, I rent, so making any major changes to the electrical system of the house are probably going to be impossible.

Thanks
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPLeBlanc View Post

Does Sony have a history of very sensitive HDMI ports?
Probably not any more so than other manufacturers.
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to prevent this type of thing from happening again?
You have to protect all the conductive paths, not just the AC. That includes antenna, cable, network, etc. It has all been discussed many times before. You can do a search of the forums and find everything you need.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone.
Long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'm the owner of a Sony KDL52W5100. It's got 4 HDMI ports and one by one, in the 18 months or so that I've owned the TV, they have all failed. The last one went over the weekend. The symptom is that the TV will not show picture or output sound from the source, however the input selection menu does show the blue icon indicating that something is plugged into the port. It seems like this always happens just after a power outtage, or during a storm. I have taken to unplugging everything whenever I'm not watching television, but I guess this time it had nothing to do with it. I also own a PS3 (my second, as the HDMI port in my first malfunctioned as well) and I own a Sony HT CT100, whose HDMI ports have also burnt out.
The TV is what I'm most interested in getting more information about. Does Sony have a history of very sensitive HDMI ports? Is there anything I can do to prevent this type of thing from happening again?
I've purchased a new bu board to replace the existing one. I've done some searching and I'm hoping to implement a more complete surge protection solution. Unfortunately, I rent, so making any major changes to the electrical system of the house are probably going to be impossible.
Thanks
Andy

Andy, what do you have plugged into the Sony? I know you said a PS3. What else? Also please include anything, including switchers or equalizers that are plugged into the HDMI string. What type of HDMI cables are you using?

Also what is plugged into the Sony? Cable? Antenna TV? component?

Do you unplug/plug any of the HDMI cables often (or semi-often)?

Was there lightning in the area during all of the HDMI failures? It is very uncommon to have one port after another blow out. It is also uncommon for a PS3 HDMI port to malfunction. This makes me think we're missing something jumping to the power surge (or cable coax surge) conclusion.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have taken to unplugging everything whenever I'm not watching television...
If you are unplugging the HDMI cable, this could be the source of some of your problems. Theoretically, HDMI is hot-pluggable, but people seem to damage ports doing it from time to time. And even though most gear now has protection circuity, It is possible that static electricity can kill the port. when you plug the cable in, even with everything powered down. The best thing to do is plug the HDMI cable in and leave it alone.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, Sorry I didn't provide more information first. Hopefully this will answer the questions so far.

So I have 2 diagrams. one is of the original configuration of the system, and the second is of the current configuration (due to the loss of working HDMI ports on various devices). I'm using HDMI Cables from a number of sources. Mostly MonoPrice, and a local electronics shop here in Massachusetts (You-do-it, for the locals). I bought a cheap HDMI switch from amazon for config #2.

Original - All HDMI Outputs go into HT-CT100, single HDMI from there goes to Sony TV.

Current - All HDMI outputs go to HDMI Switch and then out of switch into Sony TV. Sony TV has optical audio out, goes to HT-CT100.
After the first "incident" the entire HDMI interface on the HT-CT100 was cooked, I kept it and got by using the optical input, also the PS3 HDMI connector blew and I replaced the whole unit.

Before I started unplugging everything is when most of the damage occurred. I think the first step (and I'm embarassed I haven't done it) is to get the coax cable surge protected. I'm hoping for any other options that can help increase protection. I'd like NOT to have to unplug things, but I definitely want to have a plan to avoid replacing more of my stuff.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM

Looking at the diagram, the two common items (that haven't blown) are the HTPC and the Cable Box. Everything else (including the TV ports) is either replaced or different. I'm assuming that your problems are the result of a single problem (usually the smarter way to look at problems).

So, unless you have an outside connection attached to your HTPC (like a cable connection or antenna), this leads me to believe your problem is possibly coming in from your cable company. Not-so-nice surge on the line maybe. You might want to make sure your cable is properly grounded and a coax surge protector would be a good step.

Basically if this is surge, then any place a line comes into the house is a potential path for the surge - not just the AC line. Phone lines are also a possibility if they are connected to the components.

One other possibility is an HDMI cable problem that is intermittant. But, I can't quite figure out a mechanism for this that doesn't cause smoke. You might want to make sure you don't see any damage on your cables but don't connect/reconnect with power on (even plugged in).

While a satellite connection may have the same problem, I don't hear (or experience) too many surge issues with those connections.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

The cable box HAS blown, and I've had some odd problems with the HTPC. However you're right, the only connection that I can think of that goes into the system that isn't on a surge suppressor is the cable. I don't use an antenna. We also don't have land line phones in the house.

At first, I thought cables as well, because I've had them go. However, I found a good cable (tested outside the system) and went through all the permutations and confirmed (at least to me) that it wasn't just cables. On the Sony TV's when under input selection, there is an icon present when the unit detects something plugged into the input port. The kicker is that the HDMI connections do report that something is plugged in, but no picture, no sound.

Currently I'm running on component cables until the new BU Board comes in.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback and input.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM

What would worry me if I were in your place was that I haven't found the cause of the BU Board's blown HDMI ports. What your icons could indicate is that certain pins on the connector or cable or somewhere in the line are no longer functional. Now what keeps the new board from having the same problem as the old board?

I have to believe that one of these components is the cause. Does the HTPC have a cable line into it? Where does the HDMI come out on your HTPC (the motherboard or the video card)? That's kind-of how you need to look at trouble-shooting this. Keep tracing all of the paths and where you've had problems. Eventually (hopefully) a common cause will pop out.

And, don't rule out the unexpected until you have data. It took a week but I traced a tripped house circuit breaker (AFCI) to a capacitor (I'm pretty sure it was a capacitor) starting to go out on a motherboard. When I started tracing the problem, I would not have listed the motherboard in my top 10 list for reasons a house circuit breaker would trip, particularly when the computer with the motherboard was still working. The point to all that is don't rule out things until you have data to support that conclusion.

Good luck!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The kicker is that the HDMI connections do report that something is plugged in, but no picture, no sound.
Entirely possible if Hot Plug Dectect works and the drivers or receivers for the TMDS lines over which video and audio are transmitted are damaged.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page