Problem with wiring HDMI wall plate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm wiring an HDMI cable into the back of a wall plate - this cable then goes into the HDMI connector on the rear panel of the TV, and then the idea is that users of the public room where the TV is can come along and plug their DVD player/laptop into the wall plate via a short flying lead. Total cable length is less than 4m with the wall plate about halfway along this.

I'm using an EDIS HDMI 'fast install' wall plate, but this isn't turning out to be very fast-install - you have to cut the HDMI cable and then separate each individual wire and connect it into a spring terminal on the wall plate.

I know that I should be wiring 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc, and once I'd worked out that the colour coding of the wires didn't necessarily match what I was expecting, and had buzzed the connections out just to be sure I thought it would be simple. But no.

When I plug a DVD player into my newly wired wall plate, the DVD player goes into some some of safe mode, effectively closing down until I disconnect the HDMI lead, after which it resets itself and comes back on ready to play. The TV says 'no input detected'. If I bypass the wall plate and plug DVD player directly into the TV it's all fine.

I've tried this with a couple of different TV's and DVD players. I've started the wiring again from scratch using the other half of the cut HDMI cable, but with no improvement.

Ideas please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 246
use a wall plate with an HDMI 'Bulkhead' (Female to Female) connector and you won't have to screw with cutting cables. Something like: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=7330&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Liked: 88
The other thing that pops into my head (other than to not use that type of wall plate) is you're lucky if you didn't damage the equipment you plugged into the wall. There is enough power in an HDMI connection to damage the connected circuit boards if miswired.

A wall plate with a pig tail, as linked above, is a much better choice. Consider yourself lucky if you get the new wall plate and all of the equpment is still working. You might try out the equipment with a short cable run before using the DVD player and HDTV as test equipment again. Also keep in mind that HDMI was not designed as hot pluggable so, over time with repeated cycles of plug/unplug, that port will likely wear-out or pins may be damaged.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

...HDMI was not designed as hot pluggable ...
Then why does it have a signal called "Hot Plug Detect"? Most connectors seem to be designed to last a minimum of 5000 insertion cycles, although I have seen some speced at 1000.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 AM

Good question, of which I have no good answer. The hot pluggable comment was because of the number of times we've heard about people who have problems with their components after hot-plugging. Perhaps I should have said "not implemented as hot pluggable" instead of not designed as hot-pluggable?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Unfortunately I'm stuck with the wall plate I have. Already have all the other connections installed that I need (VGA, RCA etc), all available in the same range and with easy install. The HDMI appeared to be double sided female, but turned out not to be. Any ideas for helping me out of this problem?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarofdidley View Post

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the wall plate I have. Already have all the other connections installed that I need (VGA, RCA etc), all available in the same range and with easy install. The HDMI appeared to be double sided female, but turned out not to be. Any ideas for helping me out of this problem?

Sorry, but no. Any hints I could give could potentially lead to you permanently damaging your equipment rather than solving the problem. This is one of those times you need someone who has done this before to be there. Maybe check with a local A/V installer? Other choice is to try out your cable with equipment you don't care about before trying the connection with important equipment.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Even though you have buzzed your setup in some form, perhaps one of the cheap hdmi tester "plugs" might be useful as they are setup to take a direct plug in and can look more easily at the various "pairs"..... maybe.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Then why does it have a signal called "Hot Plug Detect"? Most connectors seem to be designed to last a minimum of 5000 insertion cycles, although I have seen some speced at 1000.

My guess would be that a spec (haven't found it specified anywhere) for hdmi is in the 1000 (rj45 jacks are in that neighborhood and I personally have a number that are "brittle" well before that ... more like 10 times) but it is just a spec. That is, it is likely tested repetitively in a temperature and machine controlled mechanical fashion as opposed to "willy nilly" end user "push pull" in a wide temperature operating range. I don't think it would be wise to rely on continual plugging and unplugging of what looks like a "fragile" connector system and not expect either the cable end or equipment receiver to fail in the consumer product. The manufacturer will ultimately claim "end user misuse / abuse" on any claims of failure and just "walk away".

I think Andy's comment about the "hot plug detect refinement" is applicable but goes to more of how the system should react to the "action" as opposed to how many times it can be done successfully. Even with that, it still relies on an implementation of both ends (sink and source along with cable length) to be successful. For instance, as we know people are plugging in really long cables. That action might be outside the design consideration for a given sink / source. This may impact how reactances in the cable are "seen" and accounted for causing electrical issues (ie. spikes) that may be ultimately deterimental.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

My guess would be that a spec (haven't found it specified anywhere) for hdmi is in the 1000.
Specification is max 30 milliohm change in contact resistance after 10,000 cycles.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page