HDMI to Cat6 with 3d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an issue where I'm running HDMI over 2 cat6 cables using a monoprice 6584 wall plate pair. It works fine with VGA connections and some DVD connections the signal will get there.. but flash every few seconds. Blu-ray and 3d will not work at all. The signal is running over 50' of cable. and I'm guessing I just need to boost the power of the signal becasue it seems like the more data I'm trying to send the worse it gets.

Am I barking up the right tree or should I be looking at something else? I've considered picking up these plates with the integrated power booster.

Thanks for any recommendations ahead.

Reciever: Yamaha RX-v671
Projector: Epson 3010
Blu-Ray-: Panasonic DMP-BDT321P

Kall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallx View Post

I'm having an issue where I'm running HDMI over 2 cat6 cables using a monoprice 6584 wall plate pair. It works fine with VGA connections and some DVD connections the signal will get there.. but flash every few seconds. Blu-ray and 3d will not work at all. The signal is running over 50' of cable. and I'm guessing I just need to boost the power of the signal becasue it seems like the more data I'm trying to send the worse it gets.
Am I barking up the right tree or should I be looking at something else? I've considered picking up these plates with the integrated power booster.
Thanks for any recommendations ahead.
Reciever: Yamaha RX-v671
Projector: Epson 3010
Blu-Ray-: Panasonic DMP-BDT321P
Kall

What are you using to power the wall plates?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Right now they are unpowered, just the HDMI signal. Those new plates have a 5v power source.

Kall
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM

That could be where your problem is. They really aren't unpowered. The power is supplied by your HDMI cable, which is dependent upon what the source can supply. Sometimes that's OK, sometimes that isn't.

Try a 5V DC supply (wall wart). Other owners have reported they needed two wall warts (one on each plate).
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally broke down and just got a highspeed HDMI cable from amazon (which I probably should have done in the first place). Its 40ft and seems to be passing the signal well at least from the 3d blueray to the projector. Now I think i just have an issue with my reciever. When plugging the blu-ray through the reciever it keeps flashing on and off.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallx View Post

So I finally broke down and just got a highspeed HDMI cable from amazon (which I probably should have done in the first place). Its 40ft and seems to be passing the signal well at least from the 3d blueray to the projector. Now I think i just have an issue with my reciever. When plugging the blu-ray through the reciever it keeps flashing on and off.

No such thing as a high speed 40 foot passive HDMI cable. You actually got a standard speed cable. When in doubt, ask the vendor for their high speed certificate for *that length* of cable. A true high speed cable should have that.

However, if it is a high enough gauge many a standard speed cable will work with 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 3D. As a test, try setting both the Blu-Ray and the AVR to 1080i (or set the AVR to passthru the resolution). If that works, then 1080p likely isn't working because of the cable length. If 1080i doesn't work then either cable the defective (unlikely since direct is working) or it's a component problem. 1080i should work at 40 feet.

Also make sure you have disabled the Blu-Ray and the projector's (and the AVR's if it has it) option for Deep Color. That will save you bandwidth and may get your cable to work. But, make sure it is off in all three components.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the suggestions

I did do a test by hauling my receiver and blu-ray to the back of the room. It is loosing signal over the 40' with the 1080p. I'll try turning off the deepcolor and see if that saves enough to make it work well. I think the extra 1.5ft jump from the blu-ray to the reciver is just enough to make it loose connection. Back in a bit with some results.

Kall.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Turning off deep color seems to be doing the trick.! Thanks a ton for your help!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Glad it worked out!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page