VGA input Out HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a Computer connected to a Kramer presentation switcher via VGA pushing 1024X768 resolution. I'm wanting to push the VGA signal through the Kramer and out via HDMI to a projector. WIll this work? I know HDMI in will not go out VGA to a projector. I don't have an HDMI projector to test this theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrant85 View Post

Hello,
I have a Computer connected to a Kramer presentation switcher via VGA pushing 1024X768 resolution. I'm wanting to push the VGA signal through the Kramer and out via HDMI to a projector. WIll this work? I know HDMI in will not go out VGA to a projector. I don't have an HDMI projector to test this theory.

That's correct that HDMI in will not be transcoded to VGA - it's against the "rules".

You would have to check with the Kramer owners manual to see what it does with VGA inputs. What you are looking for is whether it "upscales" VGA to HDMI *and* whether 1024x768 is supported for the upscaling. Not all HDMI devices will support 1024x768 although almost all computer-related devices will.

An example is that many Denon AVRs will take a composite video input and transcode it to HDMI. However, 1024x768 is not a supported format. Without more information on the Kramer switcher (model number?) it isn't possible to say more.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If the Projector has a VGA port I’d stick with it – there is no inherent benefit in converting your analogue signals to digital!

If you want to go into the HDMI port you will require an analogue to digital converter and most likely one which offers up-conversion to a resolution the HDMI port on the Projector supports!

You can take the VGA Out of the currnet Swicth through a single Input ‘conversion’ box or replace the VGA Swicth with a multi Input Swicth with onboard conversion!

Budget always tends to become an issue in these discussions!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page