Troubleshooting problem,need advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Roku2XS streaming media box connected directly to a Denon 2310CI AVR thru HDMI.When i stream a movie from Netflix w/5.1 Dolby Digital Plus there is no audio,but the video is ok. I have checked the settings on the AVR and they're set properly to receive and decode DD.+.so i don't 'think' the problem is with the AVR,but still can't totally rule it out. It seems that the AVR is trying to decode the audio,but the audio signal keeps wavering back and forth between PCM and "unknown signal".When it wavers to PCM the blue HD audio light comes on and the 5 input channels(FL,FR,RL,RR,C) light up like it's receiving the signal and ready to decode,but it only lasts for about ~1-2 tenths of a second before wavering back to "unknown signal",then the HD audio light goes out and the 5 input channels disappear.The problem may be with the Roku,and am in contact with Roku support.They're trying to help.

Now i'm wondering about the HDMI cable.All my cables are standard speed,the oldest from 2006.Most of them have double Ferrite cores(one on each end),but the oldest (2006) 4FT.in length has no ferrite core.I've tried swapping diff.cables but that makes no diff. i still have the same problem,and am wondering if the cable(s) are not quite up to the task of delivering DD+ even tho' they are only 4 FT.long.So my question is:Do i need to buy a high speed HDMI cable to get the DD+ audio???? Thanks in advance for any help. G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I have a Roku2XS streaming media box connected directly to a Denon 2310CI AVR thru HDMI.When i stream a movie from Netflix w/5.1 Dolby Digital Plus there is no audio,but the video is ok. I have checked the settings on the AVR and they're set properly to receive and decode DD.+.so i don't 'think' the problem is with the AVR,but still can't totally rule it out. It seems that the AVR is trying to decode the audio,but the audio signal keeps wavering back and forth between PCM and "unknown signal".When it wavers to PCM the blue HD audio light comes on and the 5 input channels(FL,FR,RL,RR,C) light up like it's receiving the signal and ready to decode,but it only lasts for about ~1-2 tenths of a second before wavering back to "unknown signal",then the HD audio light goes out and the 5 input channels disappear.The problem may be with the Roku,and am in contact with Roku support.They're trying to help.
Now i'm wondering about the HDMI cable.All my cables are standard speed,the oldest from 2006.Most of them have double Ferrite cores(one on each end),but the oldest (2006) 4FT.in length has no ferrite core.I've tried swapping diff.cables but that makes no diff. i still have the same problem,and am wondering if the cable(s) are not quite up to the task of delivering DD+ even tho' they are only 4 FT.long.So my question is:Do i need to buy a high speed HDMI cable to get the DD+ audio???? Thanks in advance for any help. G.

No, DD+ should work with any valid cable. You didn't say what video resolution you were sending, but at 4ft even 1080p/60 should work with a decent cable. Were both cables you tried from the same manufacturer and the same length?

Try sending 1080i out of the Roku. That would be a good data point.

Can you send 2 or 5.1-channel PCM successfully out of the Roku?

What this sounds like to me is that the Roku firmware doesn't understand the Denon's converted EDID. What do you have connected as an output from the Denon? Does the same thing happen with no TV connected to the Denon?

Since the PCM light is coming on at the same time as the 5.1-channel input indicator, that means that the audio/video being received is not being understood by the Denon correctly. A DD+ indicator should be present instead.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

No, DD+ should work with any valid cable. You didn't say what video resolution you were sending, but at 4ft even 1080p/60 should work with a decent cable. Were both cables you tried from the same manufacturer and the same length?
Try sending 1080i out of the Roku. That would be a good data point.
Can you send 2 or 5.1-channel PCM successfully out of the Roku?
What this sounds like to me is that the Roku firmware doesn't understand the Denon's converted EDID. What do you have connected as an output from the Denon? Does the same thing happen with no TV connected to the Denon?
Since the PCM light is coming on at the same time as the 5.1-channel input indicator, that means that the audio/video being received is not being understood by the Denon correctly. A DD+ indicator should be present instead.

Am receiving whatever resolution Netflix is sending,sometimes HD,don't know the resolution(720p,1080i/p),but either way it's always a DD+5.1audio source.I can't change the output resolution on the Roku. IF i'm remembering right,the Roku auto detects the tv's native resolution and adjusts for it.
The problem is with the audio only,i have no video problem.
I have tried 5 cables,two are 6FT.,three are 4FT.All were bought at MP except the 2006 cable which was bought at BB.
Have the AVR set to "auto"detect for incoming signal,and set to 720p output res.(my tv's native resolution).
Have no problem with the Roku's stereo output,or the AVR's ability to receive it,only the DD+5.1which the AVR is choking on,but the video is ok,no problem.
Also tried connecting the Roku directly to the tv with the same result---no audio.
Don't know about the DD+ indicator,just the blue HD audio indicator light. These indicator lights flash on and off so quickly that i don't know whether i'm seeing everything that lights up or not before it all goes off. Also,i don't know whether the Roku will send,and my receiver decode regular DD5.1 audio(from the Roku) or not.I haven't come across it yet.The AVR has no problem decoding regular DD5.1 from the satellite,or my dvd players.
Roku tech support has asked me to try a regular DD5.1 audio source,and i'm going to try to locate one ASAP.Can't check around right now tho' cuz i'm at work.tongue.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AHAAA!!!! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! Unbeknownst to me,and not stated by Roku,the Roku must be set to 1080p for the Dolby Digital+ to be available for decoding by my receiver. Since my tv's native resolution is 720p, the Roku is set for 720p and 16x9 screen. Sure am glad to have solved this annoying little problem. What seems amazing to me is that the Roku tech help didn't ask me to check this particular setting,other settings yes,but not this one,i found it on my own.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif .tongue.gif Also bought a 2yr. extended warranty for $10.00 per yr.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page