HDMI has me stumped. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG 50PS30 plasma, and a Yamaha RX-V463 Receiver. I've been using those with a Western Digital Live Hub and a Comcast DCX3400 for a year and a half flawlessly. HDMI connects each source to the receiver, and then one HDMI out sends the signal to the TV. All of a sudden, a week ago, I couldn't get a signal on my TV, sound still worked. When any source is hooked directly up to my TV through HDMI, everything works. It's only when I try and pass a video signal through a receiver. I want to only use HDMI in my setup.

I have tried power cycling, switching cables, and even replaced the receiver with a Denon AVR-1612. The new receiver has the same issue. I tried using the Yamaha receiver with a Samsung P50H and a brand new Samsung LED TV (I also tried the Denon receiver on this TV, and it didn't work) and was able to replicate the initial problem. The new receiver having the same HDMI issue is really throwing me off.

I have also tried splitting the out of the Comcast box - sending one to the TV, and one to the Receiver - this shows signal, but immediately also shows an HDCP error and tells me to use component. I then get a green screen, and then the signal goes away. My work around now is to send HDMI out of my Comcast box to the TV, and sound out of the Comcast box to the receiver over the Digital Coax cable. I split the signal out of the Western Digital box the same way, and it works (but I'm still looking for a splitter that sends AC3 sound).

My setup worked flawlessly for almost two years, then one day it just stopped. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing all this?

I am stumped. I tried Google and think I may have an EDID issue with my TV, but I've never had to troubleshoot something like this before and was looking for some advice on how I can even go about fixing that.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsockol View Post

I have an LG 50PS30 plasma, and a Yamaha RX-V463 Receiver. I've been using those with a Western Digital Live Hub and a Comcast DCX3400 for a year and a half flawlessly. HDMI connects each source to the receiver, and then one HDMI out sends the signal to the TV. All of a sudden, a week ago, I couldn't get a signal on my TV, sound still worked. When any source is hooked directly up to my TV through HDMI, everything works. It's only when I try and pass a video signal through a receiver. I want to only use HDMI in my setup.
I have tried power cycling, switching cables, and even replaced the receiver with a Denon AVR-1612. The new receiver has the same issue. I tried using the Yamaha receiver with a Samsung P50H and a brand new Samsung LED TV (I also tried the Denon receiver on this TV, and it didn't work) and was able to replicate the initial problem. The new receiver having the same HDMI issue is really throwing me off.
I have also tried splitting the out of the Comcast box - sending one to the TV, and one to the Receiver - this shows signal, but immediately also shows an HDCP error and tells me to use component. I then get a green screen, and then the signal goes away. My work around now is to send HDMI out of my Comcast box to the TV, and sound out of the Comcast box to the receiver over the Digital Coax cable. I split the signal out of the Western Digital box the same way, and it works (but I'm still looking for a splitter that sends AC3 sound).
My setup worked flawlessly for almost two years, then one day it just stopped. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing all this?
I am stumped. I tried Google and think I may have an EDID issue with my TV, but I've never had to troubleshoot something like this before and was looking for some advice on how I can even go about fixing that.
Thanks in advance!!!
-Geoff

You're close. I'd say it's an EDID issue with the Comcast box. We can probably say it isn't an AVR issue since two receiveds of one brand and one of another produced the same problem.

However, what you are really looking for is something that changed about a week ago. Was new software downloaded to some box? Did you change the Comcast box to 1080p (if that's possible)?

Anyway, the easiest way to handle this is to change the Comcast box resolution to 1080i or 720p. Make sure the AVR is set to passthru the resolution as is (not change it). Then try changing these settngs and see what is going on.

BTW, as soon as you had the HDCP problem (with component) on the Comcast box, you can probably throw out the rest of that testing since the box wasn't going to cooperate as soon as it detected a "HDCP problem", even if it wasn't really a problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've tested with only one source too. And, it occurs when just the Western Digital is hooked up too. I don't recall anything being changed, except for possibly firmware on the WDTV Hub. I do recall some sort of flickering light during a storm though. I will try switching the Comcast box resolution. Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Following up, I just installed a brand new Comcast box - RNG200N. Same problem with HDMI pass through..
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Following up, I just installed a brand new Comcast box - RNG200N. Same problem with HDMI pass through..

Did you change the resolution? (both the Comcast and the AVR). 720p/1080i have less bandwidth.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried outputting from the Comcast box at 720P and 1080i, no difference. I don't see a setting on the AVR to change output.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM

I went back through the Denon owners manual and I didn't see anything about resolution change, either. Must be on the higher end models only.

Let's go through a list of reasons why you would only get audio with no video and this would only occur with the AVR in the loop:

1) Video output for that input selection has been set to something other than HDMI. Denon certainly supports this. Check the Denon menu.

2) Video output resolution is supported by TV but not AVR. Doesn't seem to be the case.

3) Video processor in AVR is hung or having "issues". Doesn't seem likely since two AVRs were tried.

Before doing anything else, with no inputs connected to the Denon (eliminating any source), can you see the Denon on-screen menu on your TV using HDMI only? If that doesn't work, that would imply that the problem is with the Samsung/Denon interface (or a video processor is hung). If that works, then it implies the problem is on the input side of the AVR. That would be a good clue.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't been able to see on OSD for the Denon, or old Yamaha unit. I still get the old no signal.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Haven't been able to see on OSD for the Denon, or old Yamaha unit. I still get the old no signal.

Was that with no inputs connected? It's important since that would force the AVR to supply the video source. Also by OSD, I don't mean an overlay but instead what you would see when you hit the menu button.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page