HDMI to COAX conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all.

I work at a school where there is a closed circuit TV system. I think it's over COAX, or maybe it can be RCA.

Either way, I need audio.

I have a computer with HDMI output. This is the only way I can get video onto our system.

I need something like this"

Computer_With_Feed
> (HDMI to COAX modulator)
> Main TV Switch
> TV

-or-

Computer With Feed
> (HDMI to RCA converter)
> (RCA switch)
> TV

Unless someone wants to donate A LOT so we can buy HDMI TVs?

Maybe there's another way, but we need audio and video. It also needs to be as simple as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

Liked: 87
What is your budget? Answer will greatly depend upon your budget.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Not really a budget problem. I have $4000 left, and I need a good camera with FireWire out.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Good. That takes care of the budget part.

Anything I can recommend will be point-to-point. In other words, it means that you have a dedicated coax line from your computer to the destination. Putting it another way, this isn't for a multiplexed system (your use of closed-circuit TV has me concerned).

If you are doing point-to-point, try something like this:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coax-adapter.html

Note that most of these converters are limited to what resolution they will send out. Usually it's 1080p and 720p. So you'll have to make sure your computer output is set to one of those resolutions.

Also make sure your computer is set to output audio over HDMI. Probably a setting under control panel (if it is a PC).

If you are not doing point-to-point, then you have to convert to whatever input your system takes and I'd need to know more specs before I suggest something in that scenario.

Keep in mind that HDMI licensing is specifically designed to prevent users from converting to an analog format (HDMI to component, for instance) or non-protected digital format. Doesn't mean there aren't adapters out there (see recent thread about Monoprice adapter).
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Why don't you get a video card with composite out and use the analog audio to feed the modulator?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
But Andy... I think you "mis read" what the OP's requires which are a lot more demanding (or less) depending on how you look at it. He says he DOESN'T have any "hdmi TVs".... my "read" is that he thinks he is going to get a hdmi "modulator" to some output (either coax or RCA) that goes analog into the TV. The converters that you suggested are "physical trancoders" from physical hdmi to something coax (transport) and then back to hdmi at the receiver out to a hdmi tv.... if I read the linked page info correctly. As you indicated, hdmi to analog anything is going to be a "treasure hunt"... a "quiet one"... :-)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

But Andy... I think you "mis read" what the OP's requires which are a lot more demanding (or less) depending on how you look at it. He says he DOESN'T have any "hdmi TVs".... my "read" is that he thinks he is going to get a hdmi "modulator" to some output (either coax or RCA) that goes analog into the TV. The converters that you suggested are "physical trancoders" from physical hdmi to something coax (transport) and then back to hdmi at the receiver out to a hdmi tv.... if I read the linked page info correctly. As you indicated, hdmi to analog anything is going to be a "treasure hunt"... a "quiet one"... :-)

Hey Budwich, I think you're correct, looking back. Good catch!

The best hope is what Sam64 said - a new video card with a VGA output (unless the OP wants to go over to the dark side of HDMI conversion...)
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
The reason I was looking closer at the post was I have interest in the area as I too have coax running around and want to doing "something".... but the cost of the boxes suggested, although good, is still a bit on the high side in terms of alternatives. I want to "distribute" a sat. signal but at the cost of the "converters", its cheaper to buy another sat set top box and possibly a few sat switches and deal with the "untouched" sat signal on coax than deal with the converter costs and any possible compatibility and operational issues.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

The reason I was looking closer at the post was I have interest in the area as I too have coax running around and want to doing "something".... but the cost of the boxes suggested, although good, is still a bit on the high side in terms of alternatives. I want to "distribute" a sat. signal but at the cost of the "converters", its cheaper to buy another sat set top box and possibly a few sat switches and deal with the "untouched" sat signal on coax than deal with the converter costs and any possible compatibility and operational issues.

Yes, component video distribution is still cheaper than HDMI. And, as I suspect you already know, for coax, the cost of an HD modulator is significantly greater than the old ch 3/4 SD modulators. So, it seems, the cheapest version of what you want to do is using your existing coax (if possible) for new lines to an STB and pay the monthly fee for the extra STB. Luckily the multiplexers are relatively cheap.

We went with component video distribution three years ago due to the cost and maturity (at that time) of the HDMI distribution options. I haven't regretted that, although we now have HDMI in the theater room as well as component.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page