HDMI active cable swap ends - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks,
For a projector setup I ran this 50 foot Monster cable - http://www.amazon.com/Monster-1000HD-50-Ultra-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B000UF53HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344033529&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+ultimate+1000+50+foot

I was unaware that with these cables the end mattered. The cable is already inside the dry wall and everything is patched up.
Is there a way I can swap the heads without having to fish out the wire frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

Folks,
For a projector setup I ran this 50 foot Monster cable - http://www.amazon.com/Monster-1000HD-50-Ultra-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B000UF53HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344033529&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+ultimate+1000+50+foot
I was unaware that with these cables the end mattered. The cable is already inside the dry wall and everything is patched up.
Is there a way I can swap the heads without having to fish out the wire frown.gif

No. I wouldn't swap ends on a passive cable, let alone an active cable.

In the future, I always recommend conduit so that you have the ability to either remove a cable or add another after the drywall is finished.

My only suggestion (and it is of minimal help) is that a good drywall patch person can make it look like you never had to open up the wall. Try to minimize the number of holes by opening near the cross beams or only where the cable was anchored.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
AFAIK the Monster Cable 1000HD HDMI cable is not an active cable. Passive HDMI cables are not directional. So, it doesn't matter which end is where.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

AFAIK the Monster Cable 1000HD HDMI cable is not an active cable. Passive HDMI cables are not directional. So, it doesn't matter which end is where.

So, enquiring minds want to know how Monster is able to advertise this as a "Ultra High-Speed" cable?? Less capability for more money??

For this OP, why were you thinking you needed to reverse this cable? I had assumed from your post that you saw arrows on the connectors. Obviously you did not since it's a passive cable. So, what is wrong with the cable (other than you paid way too much - $249!!)?

(Colm, thanks for looking at the link - I should have done that before replying).
post #5 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I want to know what the "cable length - 164.04 ft" means on a "50 ft" cable ????
post #6 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Not only is it "Ultra High Speed" but it is a stretchable HDMI cable, too! For the price you would hope it would expand. Did you see the disclaimer at the bottom of the description (in small print, no less)?

"* Gbps results are based on testing of 2 meter cable lengths under unequalized worst case conditions. Actual Gbps rates may vary."

So they even tell their customers not to believe what's in the description since it is for a 6 foot cable, not the cable being purchased.

Sorry OP, we're not making light of your situation but so many people overpay for Monster products compared to what else is out there. It makes it worse when the HDMI cables don't perform as advertised or the advertising is misleading.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

No worries smile.gif
Turns out I got the ends right. I forgot that the projector would now be the tv end and i had got things right after all. Phew!
Though I noticed one small problem. Looks like while routing the cable thru the wall the insulation got nicked and I see some silver lining underneath. Did some research online. This may be an aluminium layer around the conductors. Hoping that some electrical tape is good enough.

Regarding why I got this expensive cable. I was originally looking for the cheaper cables and Frys only carried the Monster ones in that length (50 feet)
And I didn't have the luxury of waiting on my cables to arrive from Monoprice. So i bit the bullet and went with the uber expensive cable

Anyways, it does look like it matters which end the display and source are plugged in with these cables. I verified this

I had also routed some cat6 cables so that I could have a redundant HDMI line. I am trying to debug why i am not able to get the hdmi over cat6 extender solution to work. Sigh!
Will start a separate thread for this
post #8 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

Anyways, it does look like it matters which end the display and source are plugged in with these cables. I verified this
How?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

One end of these cables (ones from Monster at least) have a little sticker saying "TV"
If that end is plugged into the source instead, then I don't get any picture
But if the "TV" end is inserted into the display then things are fine.
I verified this with another Monster cable
post #10 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Actually this is probably not that hard to "rationalized" (without taking the cable apart).... a diode place in the powering circuit (which ever "pair" that is) ... much like a few of the mechanical switch that people like monoprice sell.... and people have to "circumvent" to use the basically purely "wired" switch in a bidirectional manner. A diode is relatively easy to "hide" in the connector... so it is possible for a "passive cable" to be directional.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

...a diode place in the powering circuit...
Yeah, I though of that. Doesn't make any sense technically. Maybe Monster thinks people will think the cable is more than it really is if it can only be hooked up one way.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Actually their FAQ provides an answer (although not a satisfying answer):

http://www.monstercable.com/FAQS/

"This is done for shielding purposes only, a design where we do not solder the shield on the signal's destination. This ensures that any noise picked up by the shield will not be transmitted into your signal path."
post #13 of 13 Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I am aware of that. Still doesn't explain why the cable works only when connected one way.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page