How to connect Sony NSZ-GT1 dvd player (HDMI) to Toshiba65HDX82 TV (DVI) without losing sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Sony NSZ-GT1 dvd player and the only output is HDMI. My television is 10 years old and has DVI inputs. From what I have been reading, if I hook up a converter cable I will lose audio since DVI is video. There are no Right or Left audio on the DVD player so how,if possible, can i hook this up without buying a new TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastec View Post

I bought a Sony NSZ-GT1 dvd player and the only output is HDMI. My television is 10 years old and has DVI inputs. From what I have been reading, if I hook up a converter cable I will lose audio since DVI is video. There are no Right or Left audio on the DVD player so how,if possible, can i hook this up without buying a new TV?

First, there is nothing that prevents a DVI-adapted HDMI signal from including audio. However, your older TV has no smarts to decode the audio signal with the DVI port. It probably had some type of analog jack that is connected to the DVI port for audio.

So, what you would have to do is to get an adapter that would output analog audio and HDMI/DVI. Those are made. However, many of them are going to cost nearly as much as you paid (~$300) for the Blu-Ray player. However, this is one of the cheaper ones:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7112&CAWELAID=1329454345&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COyn3t6-1LECFSVvTAod1GYAqw

It's a switch but will also do what you want.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful post with the link. So it looks like I need the red audio cable, white audio cable, and a cable that has HDMI to DVI. Is this correct?
post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Depending upon your TV, you might need an dual RCA mono to 1/8" stereo plug adapter. Look at the back of your TV (or check the manual) to figure out where the analog audio comes in for DVI.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking on Monoprice like you recommended and saw that they have HDMI to Component converter box. It is a little cheaper in price and that would be the only thing I would have to buy because I have a HDMI and Component Cables. I don't have a DVI cable and I don't know if I have the RCA stereo plug adapter. I have component input jacks for the TV. Will this component converter setup work just as well?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

After doing some research I think I see that I can not go component because of the HDCP feature on DVD player. Is this correct? Not trying to question your recommendation alk3997 but I was trying to go the cheaper and easier route. I am trying to understand the process better. The other thing I forgot to mention is that I have a DVI/HDCP input. I also need a DVI-D digital single-link cable. As far as the RCA inputs, it looks like there are a R and L DVI/HDCP. So it looks like I don't need the 1/8" stereo plug adapter. Is this correct? Thanks for the posts alk3997.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I think it is starting to all sink in. I will need one HDMI cable going to the adapter that you recommended. I then need a HDMI out of the adapter to a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter into the TV. I also need a R and L RCA cable out of Adapter into the DVI RCA input. Is this correct?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I think it is starting to all sink in. I will need one HDMI cable going to the adapter that you recommended. I then need a HDMI out of the adapter to a DVI-D Single Link Male to HDMI Female adapter into the TV. I also need a R and L RCA cable out of Adapter into the DVI RCA input. Is this correct?

You got it.

You also could have used the component video inputs along with the analog audio inputs but you're right, the converter would need to be an HDCP compliant converter box which is prohibited under the HDMI adopter's agreements, although you will see some around (I forget if the one you looked at is or is not).
post #9 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PMFJI, was cruising by looking for something else, and note that that sony player has optical/toslink out. It seems like Monoprice also has an optical to analog stero convertor for $23, but then you still have the problem of needing an optical cable to run from the sony to the convertor, and then figure out how to input stereo into your TV. But you would only need the single HDMI-DVI cable for the video. (I use one of these on my setup, but some people have problems).

scott s.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM

You may also have a video to audio sync problem depending upon the latency differences of the audio versus video conversions. May still happen anyway but I thought the HDMI converter would have less chance of a sync issue.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

PMFJI, was cruising by looking for something else, and note that that sony player has optical/toslink out. It seems like Monoprice also has an optical to analog stero convertor for $23, but then you still have the problem of needing an optical cable to run from the sony to the convertor, and then figure out how to input stereo into your TV. But you would only need the single HDMI-DVI cable for the video. (I use one of these on my setup, but some people have problems).
scott s.

I thought about this some more and yes, that would be a cheaper method. Going through the not-so-helpful Sony manuals, it looks like an Fn keyboard combo is needed to activate the optical port. That shouldn't be a problem.

However, I can find nowhere in the manual that explains how to change the optical output so it only sends stereo PCM output rather than Dolby Digital / DTS. Most of these optical to analog adapters (until you get in the $60 - $80 range) only can accept PCM. Once you get a bit more expensive they can accept Dolby Digital. Then for even more money they'll decode DTS. The worst ones have a switch that you have to throw to select PCM or Dolby Digital.

The best method is usually to tell the Blu-Ray player to only output stereo and then the cheap decoders will work (and you don't worry about a switch). Maybe someone can find where that is in the setup guide, but I didn't see it for this unit.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the switch from Monoprice as recommended. Both audio and video work. However, the one problem I have noticed is that the very top of the screen gets cut off. It was doing it worse (cut off bottom and top) on auto picture which was 720p. So I switched to 1080i and it fixed bottom of screen and top of screen but the top could go a bit more. The other thing I noticed is the cable box has a digital display that says what format the show is in. It used to say 1080 before I hooked up the DVD player, now it only stays on 720. I don't know if the this is causing the top to be cut off. Any suggestions on how to get the top of the screen down?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:

I bought the switch from Monoprice as recommended. Both audio and video work. However, the one problem I have noticed is that the very top of the screen gets cut off. It was doing it worse (cut off bottom and top) on auto picture which was 720p. So I switched to 1080i and it fixed bottom of screen and top of screen but the top could go a bit more. The other thing I noticed is the cable box has a digital display that says what format the show is in. It used to say 1080 before I hooked up the DVD player, now it only stays on 720. I don't know if the this is causing the top to be cut off. Any suggestions on how to get the top of the screen down?

Yes. First, this isn't anything that your HDMI signal is causing. It is probably a setting on your TV. Look for something like "Dot by Dot" or "Full Screen" mode. You may also want to make sure you don't have zoom enabled on your DVD player. What you are trying to do is to tell you TV to display the full-screen of picture it is receiving. Almost all TVs have modes that allow the user to select how much of the picture is cropped on the sides (and top/bottom). Also, given your TV is a flat-panel, it only has a set number of pixels. So, when trying to expand a 720p picture to go to 1080 vertical pixels, the image may be slightly off due to the math (720 doesn't go into 1080 evenly).

The type of cropping on your TV is dependent upon the format resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) and the input device (DVI), which is why you are seeing differences when you switch resolutions.

If that doesn't fix the problem, your best bet is to look for the 65hdx82 "owners" forum in the TV section of the AVSForum. They will know much more about your particular TV controls than we will.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Sony Nsz Gt1 Wi Fi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page