HDMI splitter/will I have any problems with my config. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The rundown:

I will be running a 2 display living room tv/projector where the screen drops down to cover the tv when a massive picture is needed (sports/games/movies). I will have the projector resting on the top shelf of my component cabinet in the back of the room. My receiver (Elite sc-61) only has 1 hdmi out, so I plan to use a splitter and run a cable to my tv and one to my projector.

My question is, will I see a degraded performance from either or both cables while using a splitter? The issue I have is not with the splitter itself, but the potential overall degredation of the signal considering one run will be about 2ft(projector) while the other will be about 30(tv). Hopefully I'm just overthinking this setup, but if I'm on to something, please share some advice on a way ahead.

I'm somewhat limited on locations for the projector, so this is the config I'm going with for now.

Thanks/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 271
you should not notice a degradation of PQ by adding an HDMI splitter

you could run into issues of loss of signal because of the 30 foot cable: use a high quality HDMI cable and you should be OK

best thing to do is run a simple test: buy the splitter and cable and try them to be sure

I think it should work OK

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Liked: 87
As Mark said, these are bits. When you split the bits with an HDMI splitter, the same bits go to both sinks (the displays).

However, you should be aware that HDMI only sends one video stream and one audio stream at any time. So, the video and audio has to be compatible with both sinks. If you have a 3D display and a non-3D projector, then you will not be able to send 3D to either (since it wouldn't be compatible with both) when using a splitter.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonm21 View Post

...will I see a degraded performance from either or both cables while using a splitter?
Splitter is somewhat of a misnomer. Cloner would be a better name. Both sinks get a copy of the original signal from the source.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

If you have a 3D display and a non-3D projector, then you will not be able to send 3D to either (since it wouldn't be compatible with both) when using a splitter.

My situation will actually be the opposite, but is this still the case when the non-3d display is turned off? Only one will be on at a time.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If the second sink is truly off, you won't have a problem. Discovery of each sink's capabilities is an active process. If it isn't on, the splitter doesn't know anything about it.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM

What Colm said is correct. However, many devices aren't really "off" when they indicate they are "off". It's more of an active standby mode. So, just because you press the power button doesn't mean the HDMI handshake goes inactive. Also swapping between HDMI sink devices has caused some HDMI sources to hang-up.

It is a learning process...
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in a similar situation and not sure if I should keep to this thread or start a new one. I have a non-3D 1080p 40" LCD and will soon have a non-3D 1080p PJ which is replacing an old 480p PJ. All of my sources (3rd gen AppleTV, Sony bluray, Wii U and Wii) go into my receiver which upconverts anything that isn't already 1080p (just the Wii) and sends it out to the TV.

If I go with an HDMI splitter with this setup am I going to run into issues with audio given that my receiver is handling all of the sources? I don't expect any issues with video since both the TV and PJ will be simple 1080p and no 3D.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #9 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

If the second sink is truly off, you won't have a problem. Discovery of each sink's capabilities is an active process. If it isn't on, the splitter doesn't know anything about it.

Ok. So does this mean that if I have no power to the device (I cut the power from the surge strip) the splitter will not go in the "least common denominator" scenario? That would be cool.
I am trying to connect my 2 PJs ( one is 3D and another 2D) and I was told against the splitter. But I guess I missed to inform that I will power off (not just standby) one PJ when other is on.

Please confirm if this works for my situation. I was going by the mechanical switch route because of this reason.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

I'm in a similar situation and not sure if I should keep to this thread or start a new one. I have a non-3D 1080p 40" LCD and will soon have a non-3D 1080p PJ which is replacing an old 480p PJ. All of my sources (3rd gen AppleTV, Sony bluray, Wii U and Wii) go into my receiver which upconverts anything that isn't already 1080p (just the Wii) and sends it out to the TV.
If I go with an HDMI splitter with this setup am I going to run into issues with audio given that my receiver is handling all of the sources? I don't expect any issues with video since both the TV and PJ will be simple 1080p and no 3D.

Yes and no, depending upon where you put the splitter (distribution amp). If it is after the receiver, you should not have a problem. If the splitter is before the receiver, you will have all stereo, all the time.

My only concern with after the receiver is that some receivers can't handle this. Older receivers who are using the earlier versions of HDMI 1.1 or 1.0, seem to have the most problems.

The best thing to do in this case, is to try it. Make sure you have a good return policy from wherever you purchase the splitter. Luckily, from an HDMI standpoint, these powered splitters are cheap. Also make sure you get one that is powered by either a wall wart or an AC plug to the unit. Do not get one of the ones that uses cable power since that will reduce your chances of this working.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Yes and no, depending upon where you put the splitter (distribution amp). If it is after the receiver, you should not have a problem. If the splitter is before the receiver, you will have all stereo, all the time.
My only concern with after the receiver is that some receivers can't handle this. Older receivers who are using the earlier versions of HDMI 1.1 or 1.0, seem to have the most problems.
The best thing to do in this case, is to try it. Make sure you have a good return policy from wherever you purchase the splitter. Luckily, from an HDMI standpoint, these powered splitters are cheap. Also make sure you get one that is powered by either a wall wart or an AC plug to the unit. Do not get one of the ones that uses cable power since that will reduce your chances of this working.

I have a newer receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608) that supports HDMI 1.4, cabling is 1.3 so I'm should be good to go there. I'd place the splitter after the receiver and use different activities on my harmony remote to turn on either the TV or the PJ. Thanks for the input!

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page