Best HDMI Switching Solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have 3 devices and a relatively old home theatre receiver, the receiver has 2 HDMI inputs but it doesn't support HDMI audio so I have to use optical.
Basically at the moment I have the DTV and PS3 plugged into the receiver and the HTPC plugged directly into the TV.
It confuses my parents so I was looking at a more elegant switching solution to control everything.

I want to have 1 HDMI cable to the TV, and 1 optical or coax cable to the receiver. I bought something a while ago which looked identical to this (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2), it did the job but it had issues with the PS3 (the display would just go black and you would have to unplug the HDMI switch to reset it).

So I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to switch 3 HDMI inputs and 3 optical inputs, or a switch that can do the HDMI / toslink splitting without breaking. Or am I better off setting up a universal remote to do all the complex input switching?

~gremlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 88
Need to know a few things first:

What is your budget?

How many S/PDIF (Toslink) inputs do you have on your receiver?

What part confuses the parents? The amount of button pushes? or when things don't work quite right? Both?

The more digital audio inputs on your receiver, the easier this problem becomes.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I think I see where you're going with this..

Budget.. as little as possible but am flexible, whatever it comes out to really.

The receiver has 2 toslink and 1 coax digital input.

The parents get confused with the amount of button presses really, on the TV its kind of a convoluted process to change the input, then they forget which input it is even if I write it down.
Then the receiver itself is a little quirky, it has a DVD and DTV HDMI input, but the DVD audio input is only coax.. whereas theres toslink for "CD" and DTV, since the "DVD player" is the PS3, it was hooked up to the DVD video input and the CD toslink input. DTV was occupied by the set top box (cause its used the most really). Then the HTPC was plugged into the coax input, but I recently rebuilt it and it doesn't have coax anymore.

Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but I suppose I could get a super basic HDMI switch and connect it straight to the TV, the set top box has digital coax so it could use that.. then just get a universal remote to change input on the hdmi switch and the receiver.

However I'm still all ears to a better solution xD
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Here's the way I would do it. Your mileage may vary since I don't know what the back of your receiver looks (how many of each connection type you have other than S/PDIF). I'm also assuming your receiver will take component video input and cross-convert to HDMI.

DTV provides no benefit over HDMI versus component video unless you are watching their PPV at 1080p/24 or 3D. So, plug the DTV into component video and use the appropriate digital audio input. DTV boxes have both optical and coax digital audio outputs, which provides some flexibility.

For the PS3, I'd use the DVD HDMI input. That will provide some benefit for playing (and listening to) movies. Make sure you disable Deep Color on the PS3. The option is relatively hidden - I believe I put a thread out here in the archives that describe how to disable PS3 Deep Color. That may have fixed your blank screen issue earlier.

Then the HTPC goes into the other HDMI input.

So, in the end you would have one HDMI cable going to your TV (assuming the DTV input is converted to HDMI by your receiver) and all inputs taken care of, without any new hardware. A univeral remote would probably also help the sitation, as you said.

Let me know if I missed a receiver capability. If I did, please let me know the receiver make/model.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

As far as I know it doesn't upconvert component to HDMI.

This is the receiver: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6130_black__u/?mode=model

The DTV is technically cable, so it has a bunch of actual HD channels in.. decent quality. I will try the deep color thing with the old HDMI switch tonight as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin133 View Post

As far as I know it doesn't upconvert component to HDMI.
This is the receiver: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6130_black__u/?mode=model
The DTV is technically cable, so it has a bunch of actual HD channels in.. decent quality. I will try the deep color thing with the old HDMI switch tonight as well.

I assumed by DTV you mean DirecTV. If so, then whether it is HD or not, component video (the outputs with red, green and blue RCA plugs) and HDMI should produce the exact same 720p or 1080i picture assuming you have a decent cable. Just changes where the digital picture is converted to analog (component video in your DTV box, HDMI in the TV). DirecTV actually has more HD channels than any cable company I'm aware of (it helps to have multiple Ka-Band satellites).